PDA

View Full Version : Moombas and turning

you da man
01-27-2010, 10:34 PM
I have a new '08 XLV, only had it on the water 5 times so far, and I've noticed that during aggressive turns (not talking about some crazy Sea World boat exhibition turns) there is alot of spray that gets in the boat and the boat does lean alot. I was not expecting this in this type of boat. When I say spray, I mean when I'm driving I get sprayed in the turn not just the rear seats.

Ian Brantford
01-27-2010, 11:20 PM
That only happens to me (2005 XLV) when there is a breeze. The boat kicks up some spray and the boat, if downwind, gets the blowback.

Razzman
01-27-2010, 11:41 PM
You Da Man you bored or something? :p

All inboards are susceptible, not just your Moomba. Some in fact are far worse but in many ways it's also the hull, the design that keeps it stable and creates those nice wakes also kicks up a bit of spray.

That is the reason ski boats and into the earlier wakeboat years had large spray pockets at the rear of the hull to keep it down. It was found however that those large deep pockets also messed up the wake or prevented it's firmness, and recently surfing too. And while the gunwales on your XLV may seem deep they are nowhere near the deepness of an I/O which rarely if at sees this issue as their deep V hull designs pretty much eliminate it.

It's the nature of the beast and one little sacrafice for the sport(s) we all love. :D

Razzman
01-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Btw, I have done a few crazy Sea World boat exhibition turns and it was quite exhilirating! Wife didn't care much for them though :p

Seriously, the salesman we bought from exhibited it to us on the test drive to show just how solid & stable the hull is. If you've never done a full lock, full throttle power turn on glass in your LSV then you have no idea what your missing! Once or twice was enough though! :p

DOCDRS
01-28-2010, 12:01 AM
I used to do those in my outback ls at 45 mph..........are you holding on?.....no i mean are you really holding on.......It was a good way to show how these boats handle when you sell it 10 years later

viking
01-28-2010, 12:09 AM
I love to do those Top End turns at WOT in my outback. It's exhilerating :) Especially when you have newbies in the boat and you tell them to (as you put it) REALLY hang on............

you da man
01-28-2010, 01:31 AM
I haven't done a full lock turn...seems kinda scary but I am itching to try one.

maxpower220
01-28-2010, 07:26 PM
On my first boat, I always ended the day doing a power turn. After 3 yrs, I had a broken rudder box (the thing that attaches to the hull and holds the rudder pin up and allows the rudder to rotate via the steering cable). It was made of Nibral, so I had it rebrazed. It broke again and had a machine shop make a new one out of Stainless. No more problems. Now, I only occasionally do a power turn (2-5 a year).

DOCDRS
01-28-2010, 07:31 PM
i could see that happening max, it is stressing quite abit on those. I suppose they shouldn't be a regular event or now we know what may happen . thanx for the insight....its all fun and games till something breaks.... i prob did mine a total of about 30x over 10 years

mmandley
01-29-2010, 10:53 AM
I think its a necessary thing to do a few times, you really need to know the bounds of what your boat can do. I mean its more an emergency maneuver, but you don't want your first time you do it as the same time your avoiding some boater getting to close, or as in our case we tend to only have that issue when we have a boarder in the water and something is cruising at them with a boat.

Ive herd though its very bad to do power turns when say the boat is loaded down with heavy ballast, the stresses it puts on the boat can cause cracks, also its one of the reason the gap in the windshield gets bigger over time. The gap as in the walk threw section.

moombadaze
01-29-2010, 11:12 AM
Have not done a power turn since using the parents malibu back in 88. but boy was it fun to spin that boat and put a wall of water up and over the windshield-nothing stayed dry.

TL7
01-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Ok I guess I have to be "that guy". How do you do it? I mean the full speed, hold on, roller coaster turn?

maxpower220
01-30-2010, 11:14 PM
Get up to speed (30+) while going straight. Turn the steering wheel fully in one direction as quickly as you can. At the same time, I chop the power to idle. I then add a little, up to a lot, of power back to the engine. This will keep the nose from diving and can help with water coming over the side of the boat. You can just leave it at idle and take note of what just happened.

The boat will whip around very quickly, make sure that everyone is holding on as you could seriously injure people.

Sled491
01-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Back to the original question, you have to keep in mind that our boats have shallow v's and the water has to go somewhere. These boats push the water out the sides instead of displacing like big V hulls. Also our boats don't really get up on plane like a I/O or OB thus the side ways displacing of the water. You make a turn into that wash and you're gonna get a bit wet.

I get it worse on the drivers side than the passenger side for whatever reason on our Outback.

Back to the last topic Power turns. Why do you cut the throttle back to idle? I stay wide open and through the wheel all the way over, never had a slide happen though.

moombadaze
01-31-2010, 09:22 AM
this is what we are talking about
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsF8niEGEMQ&feature=related
Really not a turn per say.

but this you dont want to do
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AOltMu768&feature=related

viking
01-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Ya - that second one is scary. That's how NOT to do it :)

Sled491
01-31-2010, 05:33 PM
Ah I see :D

viking
01-31-2010, 06:46 PM
It's tough on the Skier too:lol: J/K

Sled491
01-31-2010, 07:04 PM
I can see how that would be!

DOCDRS
01-31-2010, 07:36 PM
I did mine wot crank the wheel all the way and do a 180 never touch the throttle, wot constant power back the reverse direction, if i had 2 guys in the back, occasionally the rear would slip and they would get soaked :)
. I was curious how he subbed the boat did he cut and then hit reverse and turn the wheel?

newty
01-31-2010, 10:48 PM
Yea he cranked the throttle back too far and hit reverse. Watch toward the end of the video he's trying to get the tranny to shift but it's not moving.
I'll bet he blew a tranny.
Or should I say he boke his transmission.:p

Ian Brantford
02-01-2010, 09:17 AM
Yea he cranked the throttle back too far and hit reverse. Watch toward the end of the video he's trying to get the tranny to shift but it's not moving.
I'll bet he blew a tranny.
Or should I say he boke his transmission.:p

Finally! I have been wondering about that for months. Thanks. :-)

moombadaze
02-01-2010, 09:45 AM
funny in that he raises his arms like "wow that was fun lets go get another tranny and do it again"

mmandley
02-02-2010, 11:46 AM
I could never do that to my boat. I'm already paranoid as it is when i fill that new 600 nose sac, with the center sac, and a 750 for the rear, im going to nose dive and have issues.

Then i think of all the weight Newty has, and ive been in his boat, if he can float, i can float, i know Newty is running more weight then i will be LOL.

Sled491
02-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Man I ran 1800 in my outback with 3 kids and 3 adults in the boat.