PDA

View Full Version : This can't be right

yager97
01-27-2010, 05:23 PM
I was, key word is WAS looking to purchase a few things from our local Moomba dealer, some upgrades for my boat since I won't be purchasing a new one this year, and was given this ridiculous quote, which he assures me is correct and is coming from the factory.

Mooring cover - $1771.29
Platform rubber - $482.58
Tower mirror arm (no mirror) - $853.35

Something isn't right here, I purchased a bimini top 2 years ago from the only other moomba dealership in Ontario for 900 dollars, no way just a mirror arm would cost just as much especially since they are all over ebay for under 200. Has anyone else been quoted on any of these items recently?

moombadaze
01-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Thats not right plain and simple.

click on one of the boats above and hit build a boat-you can see the msrp for every option.

Razzman
01-27-2010, 07:40 PM
NO those prices are way over inflated! You buy the best covers made for around $800 and they are way better than the one SC supplies. The mirror arm is made by Roswell and at best is $250. The platform rubber price is a total joke, Seadek for $200 or so and you'll have no regrets. This is a clear-cut case of a dealer taking advantage or he has no clue what they are talking about.

The cargo bimini is an exception. I've priced many items from SC/Local dealer and in no way was i shocked at the prices or did i think they were gouging.

brain_rinse
01-27-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm with Tazz. I'd bypass the dealer and go aftermarket. Evolution mooring cover, Seadek for the platform, and Monster Tower for the mirror arm. Good luck whatever you decide!

you da man
01-27-2010, 09:04 PM
I agree those prices sound on the high side, but let's back the truck up a little bit...

just because Skiers Choice offers a bit of a discount on options when the boat is 1st ordered, does not mean your neighborhood Moomba dealer is gonna be selling at those same prices. They aren't.

That expensive cargo bimini top is a perfect example.

Isn't it like $1500 when the boat is ordered, but if you want to purchase it at a later date it's gonna run you $2000+?

Try $2495 for the Z5 if you get it after the purchase, then tax and they what to charge YOU the freight since it's a huge one piece frame.

dru1974
01-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Youshould call another sc dealer Like martinmotorsports and get a price from them and then go in and talk to your dealer, it may even be better to go to a dealer south of the 49th and pay the freight

maxpower220
01-27-2010, 09:38 PM
Wait, those are Canadian prices (loonies and toonies), you should convert that to U.S. dollars.

dru1974
01-27-2010, 09:41 PM
doller is pretty much par now but our wonderful canadian retailers still like to bend us over as much as possible, not even the coutesy of a reach around...lol

yager97
01-27-2010, 09:59 PM
An 853 dollar tower mirror arm and a 482 dollar piece of rubber is absolutely crazy. I will be going aftermarket for these things and won't be buying anything through this dealership. Unfortunately there is only 2 moomba dealers in ontario, one is an hour from me, and one is 4 hours from me. The one that is only an hour from me is obviously the one I would want to work with, but they are making it difficult. I had difficulty ordering parts from them before, I placed an order for a few things, and they never returned a phone call or let me know it had arrived or seemed to take my request for parts seriously at all. The one that was 4 hours away was nothing but helpful and ordered in my bimini top right away, and clearly only charged me what it cost them to bring it in. Has anyone had any experience ordering direct from the factory and having it delivered right to your door?

you da man
01-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Just realized you're in Canada. Man, that's still crazy. Must be because of "import and customs" :rolleyes:. I wonder if finding a U.S. dealer willing to ship to you would be worth it?

DOCDRS
01-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Yager, i know exactly who you are talking about and I have had the exact same service. I love to park my new boat in front of his marina, but i'm not sure he'd recognize it as a sc product. Its not import and customs , thats why i purchased mine in the US. It was just the Canadian customs agent that didn't believe what i paid for the boat.

Ian Brantford
01-27-2010, 11:34 PM
For about the asking price of that cover and platform rubber, last August I got:

1. Monster cargo bimini

2. Comptech swivel wakeboard rack

3. Comptech swivel hydrofoil rack

I ordered straight from the factories in the U.S. and had them held for pick-up at the UPS depot in Ogdensburg, NY. This avoided some overpriced customs brokerage fees (it's $5 to do it yourself).

It really helped to call around and ask the right questions (or just wait for helpful advice to be given without prompting) of the distributors/manufacturers, or wait for late-season clearances. Between the late-season discounts, bundled parts and avoided brokerage, I probably saved about $500, totalling just under $2000 before Canadian sales taxes (13% in Ontario).

Yes, it sometimes it pays to avoid Canadian retailers. I do like to buy locally when I want personal service, or if there is a good possibility of needing to march back to the store for some help/repair/exchange. I also don't shaft the local sellers of any product buy taking advantage of their store's presence and then expecting a price match to Internet businesses. However, Canadian businesses are, as a rule, less competitive than their U.S. counterparts. They have come to expect a sheltered, near-monopoly situation. Thus, you get some high mark-ups on items that could easily be acquired for less if you look around.

DOCDRS
01-27-2010, 11:48 PM
I don't mind paying a premium for vicinity and service, but a 100-200% is sometimes a little rediculous. My limit is more like 20-30% more for accessories, 10% for big tickets(Boats cars)

yager97
01-28-2010, 11:18 AM
There's paying a premium, and then there is outright gouging. This has nothing to do with importing and shipping rates. Like I mentioned before, I bought a Moomba bimini top from the other dealership in Ontario, which they had shipped here for me, for 900 dollars, which is completely reasonable I think. Anyone know where you can get Roswell gear online> or are they only available through the dealerships?

sandm
01-28-2010, 12:19 PM
[email protected]
gave me the hookup on replacing the crappy swivels on my boardracks. he may not be able to sell to you, but will know where to get taken care of. might take a day or 2 for a reply so be patient....

WakeMikey
01-29-2010, 01:57 PM
That is silly! Monster Tower mirror arm only is like $120