PDA

View Full Version : ski rack

gus 08 mobius lsv
01-26-2010, 07:41 PM
has anyone seen or used this rack on their moomba?

http://www.onlyinboards.com/ski-boat-accessories/airboom-waterski-racks.html

anyone using a different rack for ski's please send me a link or give me in input on what to look for or stay away from.

Laz
01-26-2010, 09:04 PM
I have something very similar purchased from my dealer. Works great. I can try and get info if you need it.

deerfield
01-26-2010, 11:37 PM
gus - I use an inexpensive rack purchased in 2007 for about $90. It does not swivel, so can be a little awkward to use, but it holds my ski and helps keep the boat ship shape. Bought it from a guy in California over the Internet. Don't remember his name or have his contact information. - Deerfield

BRANDNIRON8971
01-27-2010, 12:32 AM
I've been looking at this one. Going to mount it on TOP to where the skis go across the boat. Any opitions???

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AERIAL-WATERSKI-RACK-TOWER-WAKEBOARD-BOAT_W0QQitemZ320479733909Q

yearround
01-27-2010, 03:22 AM
I had an air boom tower on my previous boat. Worked very well. I have a monster ski rack on now. I like the quick release so that the tower folds down.

kaneboats
01-27-2010, 11:26 AM
I have Aerial wakeboard racks. The quality is good. Make sure you strap that thing down every time if it's on top.

gus 08 mobius lsv
01-27-2010, 01:52 PM
i built a boat garage with an 11 foot door so never have to worry about taking the tower down to get in smaller door so i don't have an issue there. just want something i can put on above wake board rack to get skis out of the way. don't need anything top of the line just want it to look nice and be functionable ! putting it above the wake board racks...will that interfere with the rope while wake boarding??

gus 08 mobius lsv
01-27-2010, 02:11 PM
also never seen or used a swivel rack for anything is it worth the extra 100 bucks to have the capability?

viking
01-27-2010, 03:43 PM
gus - I use an inexpensive rack purchased in 2007 for about $90. It does not swivel, so can be a little awkward to use, but it holds my ski and helps keep the boat ship shape. Bought it from a guy in California over the Internet. Don't remember his name or have his contact information. - Deerfield

WOW! Deerfield that is exactly what I'm looking for. I want the clamps that fit the 1 7/8 horizontal OVAL tube on the moomba towers. Having a tough time finding anything.
If you have anything (brand, website, contact) or little piece of info. so I can try and track one down I would be indebted to you :)

gus 08 mobius lsv
01-28-2010, 01:12 PM

i like the rack too ... is a wake board rack you use for skis or designed for the skis? with the glare in the pic it was hard to tell but does it have the rubber to cushion the skis?

deerfield
01-28-2010, 03:31 PM
gus and viking - The forum only goes back to 2008 and I think I bought the racks for my Outback the summer of 2007. So, I cannot find any information in my posts on the guy from whom I bought my racks. Because they are adjustable with respect to span, they hold skis as well as wakeboards. The fingers are padded with rubber so nothing gets scraped. Bungy cord keeps things securre and in place when underway. Closest I can find to a match is on eBay. The buy-it-now prices is $65. You will need to contact the manufacturer to see if it has a rack at this price to fit the oval cross bar of the Rad-A-Cage tower used on the Outback. Wish I could connect you to the guy in CA. Sorry. - Deerfield

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wakeboard-Tower-Boat-Adjustable-Board-Rack_W0QQitemZ290373513834QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item439b9c326a

gus 08 mobius lsv
01-28-2010, 06:42 PM
thanks deerfield i think that rack will work well but unlike the one posted it could be used for either if i wanna take out 2 more wake boards instead of skis.
i sent them an email so now i gotta wait and see if they have the oval clamps for it or not
thanks again

viking
01-28-2010, 11:32 PM
Hey Gus,
Let us know will ya? I won't send a message to him. Don't need to be overkill!

gus 08 mobius lsv
01-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Hey Gus,
Let us know will ya? I won't send a message to him. Don't need to be overkill!

sure will viking... the oval clamps the only thing u had in question?

gus 08 mobius lsv
01-30-2010, 01:23 PM
yes they will work with ski's but sorry we do not have them with oval clamps.

Thank You,

- pyramidmfg1

well i guess since they don't have the oval clamps i can't get that rack just wanted to let ya know what they said viking

viking
01-30-2010, 03:06 PM
THANKS Gus,
and YES - that was all I was wondering as well. The oval clamps are hard to find. I wonder if any members here have ability to waterjet or cnc a pair of them??

ANYBODY? :)

deerfield
01-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Sled - Do you remember the name of the California guy who was marketing these racks back in 2007 when I bought mine? - Deerfield

moombadaze
01-30-2010, 08:06 PM
cant you buy the oval clamps at a moomba dealer? or from xtp-think they make the towers

gus 08 mobius lsv
01-30-2010, 08:41 PM
cant you buy the oval clamps at a moomba dealer? or from xtp-think they make the towers

well i thought of that too but i called diy wake and talked to the guy and he said its all one piece the rack and the clamp so its not like i can get the rack from him and get a clamp thru moomba. if deer can't come up with that guy he got his from the only other option for this would be an insert that fits into whatever size clamp the rack is fabricated to.

anyone know where u can get inserts to fit the oval horizontal tower bar. it'd be kinda the same concept as the inserts for tower speakers would it not?

zabooda
01-30-2010, 11:01 PM
That is similar to my rack. Over time you have to check the rubber padding (actually O-ring material) because it flattens out with use and then you have no padding for your ski. I put a layer of black silicone behind them so it is all padded again. Not that scratches matter on my 1990's vintage HO matters.

viking
01-31-2010, 01:22 AM
I'm sure a member (I think it's Ed) had bought a surf rack that was all flat (no clamp) and used the back 1/2 of the orignal OEM wakeboard racks to screw into it and was selling the rest of the rack on here a few months ago. That would be an option too if there were a ski rack in two peices that can swap out 1/2 the OEM clamps.

Can't remember where he bought those. I would imagine somebody would make a clamp for those towers though?

zabooda
01-31-2010, 02:02 AM
Another thing to know is not many wake board racks can be used for skis. The forks need to adjustable to open up enough for the ski and narrow down for boards.

moombadaze
01-31-2010, 09:26 AM
Viking

yes it was Ed who did this. I saved the link for when i need a wider rack for a thiker board.

here it is
http://www.boardbag.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=58

viking
01-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Thanks Daze......
I wish I could find the same thing but for Ski's!

gus 08 mobius lsv
01-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Another thing to know is not many wake board racks can be used for skis. The forks need to adjustable to open up enough for the ski and narrow down for boards.

well that's the point of this adjustable rack from diy wake each fork is separate so u can spread it or close it to adjust to fit your skis or addition wake boards. i called them and they say yes skis fit it just don't have the clamps viking and i need to put it where we want.
i like the idea of having options of using this rack for skis or wake boards depending on what everyone wants to do.

viking
01-31-2010, 06:51 PM
I was considering using the OEM's for skiis as well - but I'd have to lower them to the lowest horizontal bar to get them spread far enough apart to fit skiis. They don't spread far enough on the middle bar for it.

Ideally, we could find a 1 clamp ski rack that has the oval clamp to put on the top narrow bar to get them up and out of the way. I talked to AirBoom and they have a clamp but it is round and bites into the tower. It's pretty much a permanent fixture and would scratch the tower :( Not interested in anything like that!

moombadaze
02-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Viking, one of the members got a rack from lipboating or something like that for waterskis. He also has a outback. That rack was also removable-quick release.

Think its Ian-has a 2 tone neked blue outback, just cant remember his username on here.

gus 08 mobius lsv
02-04-2010, 11:38 PM
hey viking this is the best i can find which is pretty much another set of oem wakeboard racks...they have the oval clamps

http://shop.monstertower.com/p-31-xtp-double-up-rack-pair-holds-4-boards.aspx

viking
02-05-2010, 01:03 AM
hey viking this is the best i can find which is pretty much another set of oem wakeboard racks...they have the oval clamps

http://shop.monstertower.com/p-31-xtp-double-up-rack-pair-holds-4-boards.aspx

YUP - they are. OEM racks that I already own 2 of. Seems like they only have the wakeboard racks. I might shoot them a message again to see if they make a surf or ski edition?? I'll let you know what I find!

gus 08 mobius lsv
02-05-2010, 09:17 AM
YUP - they are. OEM racks that I already own 2 of. Seems like they only have the wakeboard racks. I might shoot them a message again to see if they make a surf or ski edition?? I'll let you know what I find!

sounds good keep me posted. i thought about just spreading oem racks to have for ski's but then i wouldn't have enough room for all the wakeboards! your racks were put on the upper oval cross bar? my lsv had them on the bottom one.

viking
02-06-2010, 12:21 AM
sounds good keep me posted. i thought about just spreading oem racks to have for ski's but then i wouldn't have enough room for all the wakeboards! your racks were put on the upper oval cross bar? my lsv had them on the bottom one.

I'm thinking I might just try them on the lowest crossmember with skiis and see if they fit OK. If the skiis do work I will need to see if they are "out of the way" enough and not obstructive in view. If so, I can use a set for skiis and buy another pair to ensure I have room for enough for future boards. I've also read on here that they work for some Surf Boards.

Here's the response from Monster Tower:
Hi Brian,

"Sorry we do not offer an XTP ski/surf rack. All that we have available with the oval clamp is the XTP double up wakeboard rack. You could mount the Monster ski rack or surf rack to the rear support leg just below the joint. I would also try contacting your local Moomba dealer or Skier’s Choice for finding such a rack. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks,
Steven Beck
Monster Tower"