PDA

View Full Version : Do you have LSV and swing-away tongue?

kaneboats
01-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Can anyone with the 2006-09 LSV and a trailer with swing-away tongue tell me what the overall length is with the platform off and the tongue folded back? Thanks!

mmandley
01-26-2010, 02:32 PM
22.5 feet. I have it backed into my garage and its 24 feet deep. Theres 2 inches from the wake plate to the drain for my washer. Thats about a foot total from the back of the boat to that wall. 3 inches from the swing tongue to the braces on the garage door.

I relocated the washer and dryer next to my hot water heater and furnace because it allowed more room for the boat. Just ran some PVC piping for the hot water and drain. Ran a regular boat style hose for the cold water.

yearround
01-26-2010, 03:18 PM
I agree with mike +\- 2". I put the tollerance n there for when I load too far/short and don't catch until we're home.

kaneboats
01-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks, guys! As precise as you are, I am so close I may have to measure the very boat that would be going in there. I have about 22' 6.5" to work with. It may not matter anyway but I need this info to avoid an anticipated counterargument. Thanks again!

iwakeboard
01-26-2010, 03:58 PM
22.5 feet. I have it backed into my garage and its 24 feet deep. Theres 2 inches from the wake plate to the drain for my washer. Thats about a foot total from the back of the boat to that wall. 3 inches from the swing tongue to the braces on the garage door.

I relocated the washer and dryer next to my hot water heater and furnace because it allowed more room for the boat. Just ran some PVC piping for the hot water and drain. Ran a regular boat style hose for the cold water.

Haha, put that on the list of things I wouldn't let the wifey park :p

kaneboats
01-26-2010, 04:01 PM
I know, right? I back up till I'm good and scared then unhitch and push it back by hand. I'll bet everybody has a similar system.

moombadaze
01-26-2010, 04:15 PM
I may have to measure the very boat that would be going in there. !

So we will be hearing how it fit next monday right.:D

Another way to gain a couple inch's. In mmandleys 1st photo you can remove the lower bar that spans the width of the garage door--something i had to due for height for a different boat,

New Guy
01-26-2010, 05:15 PM
MMandley do you have any more pictures or the tongue? I am thinking about putting a swinging tongue on my boatmate so it fits in the garage better.

If you want to email them my email is [email protected]

Thanks,
Mark

maxpower220
01-26-2010, 06:40 PM
Another way to gain a couple inch's. In mmandleys 1st photo you can remove the lower bar that spans the width of the garage door--something i had to due for height for a different boat,

You can also remove some of your drywall and "create" about 3 more inches of room along your back wall. Of course this means a little work making proper headers, but it is pretty easy to do.

kaneboats
01-26-2010, 08:40 PM
I've already removed the drywall with the speedo pickups on the Outback.

Daze, I don't know if it would be that quick. I heard from a potential one today and it looks like they already have a deal in place. Rest assured you'll be the first to know-- I'd like you to be the Godfather after all.

yearround
01-27-2010, 03:10 AM
I know, right? I back up till I'm good and scared then unhitch and push it back by hand. I'll bet everybody has a similar system.

I back up til I touch the wall then I know it fits.

mmandley
01-27-2010, 04:22 AM
We have a pretty good system for getting the boat in. I know the angle pretty well and as I back it in Claudia waches and makes sure my blind side doesn't hit anything. Once we are about to hit the wall with the rear corner of the trailer she says stop and straighten it out. That means crank the truck real hard to push the nose in, this straigtens the boat up and once the boat is straight we can unhitch it and push it back to the wall.

Problem with tandem trailer is you realy can't steer it by hand like a single axle. If we don't get the angle right the boat sits to fare to the center and then you can't get in the house threw the garage door lol.

First day we got the boat it was 45 minute ordeal, lots of deep breaths, lots of pulling it out and trying again.

Now we get it the first or second try lol

kaneboats
01-27-2010, 11:21 AM
But it would be worth it even if you had to walk around and use the other door. When I open my door to the garage from the laundry room it hits the guide on the trailer. But, it opens to almost 90 degrees so I don't care (as long as I can carry a cooler through that door).

mmandley
01-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Yes your right on that Kane, in the summer I dont worry about it so much but in the winter it has to be right or the misses can't get in the house after her car is in the garage. Heaven forbid she get wet cuttng the corner from the garage to the porch lol

kaneboats
01-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Oops. Forgot all about those winters.

kaneboats
01-27-2010, 01:04 PM
I am thinking about putting a swinging tongue on my boatmate so it fits in the garage better.

Never thought about adding one but certainly could. Here's an example of what I found:

http://www.amazon.com/Cequent-Swing-Away-Bracket-fits-tongue/dp/B000RZSOSS

kaneboats
01-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Let me post another reply to myself so I can use another of my multiple personalities. My brother sent me this article after I mentioned the tongue thing. It's a "how to" with limited applicability as it doesn't address brakes, etc. but still worth a look:

http://www.bwbmag.com/output.cfm?id=1141615

moombadaze
01-27-2010, 05:02 PM
I have done that exact kit that Kaneboats linked to. I would NEVER do it on a Moomba trailer. I added it to my keywest 19' bayboat single axle trailer. It just did not seem to be real secure, the hinge is just not sturdy enough, after using it for about a year I wished I never cut the trailer tounge.

Boatmate trailers has a retrofit kit.

my .02 $

New Guy
01-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks moombadaze, I saw the kits that fulton has and I was wondering how strong they are. I contacted Boatmate and they can get me a weld on kit for $250 which is pretty reasonable.

maxpower220
01-27-2010, 09:45 PM
I took my Magnum Skier trailer to a welding shop to get it to fit in the garage. They cut a straight line down the trailer at the nose of the boat and welded in a receiver hitch and insert to the two halves of the trailer. I could then pull 2 pins and release the nose of the trailer. This trailer did not have brakes. However, the trailer was very strudy and with the nose removed, it would have been very hard to steal the trailer.

moombadaze
01-28-2010, 08:22 AM
I had the same type of removable piece on a mastercraft trailer that maxpowers is talking about--also way better than that fulton kit.

New Guy
01-28-2010, 11:41 AM
I have surge brakes so the removable tongue is not really a option. Looks like I will be giving the guys at boatmate a call.

patrick232
01-28-2010, 10:01 PM
I have surge brakes so the removable tongue is not really a option. Looks like I will be giving the guys at boatmate a call.

You can add a removeable tongue with surge brakes. My 19' Rinker and my 26' Ebbtide had a quick connect fitting. It was closed when disconnected and open when connected to allow the fluid to flow.