PDA

View Full Version : ballast question

gus 08 mobius lsv
01-26-2010, 01:50 PM
ok i see there's been a lot of ballast upgrades this summer and winter. maybe a dumb question but is 1200 lbs not enough for a good surf wake or for tricks wakeboarding or why do ya need more. just getting ready to start wakesurfing this year and wanna have the best set up to really enjoy it.
mine came with the 1200 lbs factory so let me know what ya think guys.
thanks

DOCDRS
01-26-2010, 01:59 PM
It should be good , it all depends if you want better, or best capabilities

cab13367
01-26-2010, 03:52 PM
ok i see there's been a lot of ballast upgrades this summer and winter. maybe a dumb question but is 1200 lbs not enough for a good surf wake or for tricks wakeboarding or why do ya need more. just getting ready to start wakesurfing this year and wanna have the best set up to really enjoy it.
mine came with the 1200 lbs factory so let me know what ya think guys.
thanks

gus,

For wakeboarding, more weight equals bigger wake equals bigger air equals more time in the air to do tricks. You will also need to increase speed to get a clean wake when running more weight. So it all depends on your ability and what you want to do.

As for wakesurfing, if you are just starting out, I suggest you get one 750" 20x20x50 fat sac to put in the surf side locker when surfing. Buy the same fittings as on your stock bag so you can swap bags out in seconds. With just the stock bag, it will take you longer to be able to free ride for long distances which means more time turning around to pick you up, less time surfing, more gas used, more work for the driver, etc. So for $150 for the 750 and a few bucks for the fittings, it's a no brainer. It also helps to get a larger, floatier board for the same reason you should get more weight.

I've only been surfing a couple of summers so I'm no expert but I can now freesurf pretty much endlessly. Here's a pic of me from this past summer. Set up is 750 lbs in the surf side rear locker, 400 lbs in the front ski locker, wakeplate all the way up, 10 mph, 2 peeps on the boat (90 lb girl taking the pic, 180 lb dude driving while standing on top of the ski locker door), about 30' of water. You can see how far back you can stand in the pocket and how surfable the wake is with just the 750 lb upgrade and just two people in the boat. Add more people on the surf side and it just gets better. In general, more weight up front equals a longer in length, shorter in height wave, more weight in back equals shorter in length, taller in height wave.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs268.snc1/9534_1225427359598_1346450172_661847_2429842_n.jpg

kaneboats
01-26-2010, 03:54 PM
That's some pretty water, Cab.

iwakeboard
01-26-2010, 03:57 PM
I wish I could figure out the best way to weight my 24SSV for surfing. I only got into it at the end of last season so I haven't had much time to fine-tune it. I have 3,500lbs plumbed in, 2200 of which is split in the back. I filled the bow bag and the surf-side bag, and stacked a 700lbs bag on top of it. I was able to surf it well but it cleaned up alot better doing circles than it did in a straight line. It gets pretty boring doing big circles so I need to fine tune mine so I can go in a straight line.

kaneboats
01-26-2010, 04:03 PM
What speed and where was the wakeplate?

iwakeboard
01-26-2010, 04:06 PM
What speed and where was the wakeplate?

I keep the wakeplate up as it seems to shape the wake the best, speed is ~10.7 if I remember correctly.

squeeg333
01-26-2010, 04:42 PM
This brings up a question that I have been wondering about. I've got an older Fly High Fat Sac (350 lbs) from back in my run-about days, and was thinking I'd like to use that for surfing. I was thinking of laying it on top of the stock bag on the surf side. I was thinking this might not be a good idea because the bag on top might push some of the water in the lower bag out??
Anyone have any thoughts? I was trying to keep from 1. Buying a new sac like Cab talked about and 2. putting this extra sack on the surf side rear seats.

iwakeboard
01-26-2010, 04:53 PM
This brings up a question that I have been wondering about. I've got an older Fly High Fat Sac (350 lbs) from back in my run-about days, and was thinking I'd like to use that for surfing. I was thinking of laying it on top of the stock bag on the surf side. I was thinking this might not be a good idea because the bag on top might push some of the water in the lower bag out??
Anyone have any thoughts? I was trying to keep from 1. Buying a new sac like Cab talked about and 2. putting this extra sack on the surf side rear seats.

I stacked my 700lbs bag on top of the factory bags for surfing and I didn't notice losing any water out of my bag but it makes sense that it's possible. I'm not sure how similar the bags or pumps are in the Moomba's from the Supra's though. Also, I don't believe I've ever filled the 700lbs bag all the way either, the locker wouldn't close if I did because I have the GG bow bags in the stern.

gus 08 mobius lsv
01-26-2010, 07:38 PM
thanks for all the info guys. i think i'm gonna upgrade now that way when its time to hit the water i'm good to go for the summer.
with the bigger bag is there still storage room in the locker ?

cab13367
01-27-2010, 01:58 AM
thanks for all the info guys. i think i'm gonna upgrade now that way when its time to hit the water i'm good to go for the summer.
with the bigger bag is there still storage room in the locker ?

Yes, there is still some room for two or three life jackets on top and on the side of the 750.

jasonwm
02-02-2010, 03:11 PM
A 750 is the best fit in the LSV, in the XLV a W719 (1,100lbs.) is a better fit.

Moomba's really benefit from additional weight up front, that will help clean up the wake without having to drive in circles (in addition to lengthening the pocket as Ed mentioned), so once you have enough weight in the back of the boat start moving it forward.

Along those lines, if you have an extra bag to fill, I would only recommend filling it on top of the bag in the rear locker if you have the factory bag back there still. If you're upgraded to a larger bag in the locker, fill your auxiliary bag on the seats on the side you'll be surfing on.