PDA

View Full Version : Moomba swivel racks

you da man
01-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Didn't want to thread jack the other swivel rack post but has anyone seen the Moomba swivel racks? Are they quality or should I look elsewhere?

newty
01-26-2010, 10:12 PM
I saw them at the boat show and they looked pretty sweet! Super solid.
Its actually a solid pin to pull out instead of spring loaded catches like the roswells. Thats def on my list of upgrades!

you da man
01-27-2010, 12:50 AM
I called my dealership and got the usual unknowlegable parts "manager". I asked if he had or could get me the price on the swivel racks that are available on the 2010's and he said "oh, didn't know those were available on the 2010 Moombas...I'll have to call you back on that one"

newty
01-27-2010, 05:24 AM
Nice! Good to know your dealership is up on all the new upgrades.:p
Have you seen and played with them in person?
I was really impressed. I'm afraid to ask what they want for it though.

you da man
01-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Nice! Good to know your dealership is up on all the new upgrades.:p
Have you seen and played with them in person?
I was really impressed. I'm afraid to ask what they want for it though.

It's kinda scary, when I was shopping for a wakeboat and did my research on the XLV I knew they pretty all come with upgraded prop. I asked the salesman to confirm and he had no clue what I was talking about. None of the sales people ever heard of putting 750lb sacs in place of the standard bags and said they probably won't fit. I informed them they should spend more time on forums about their product so they would learn more instead of only knowing a typical salesman speech

kaneboats
01-27-2010, 11:08 AM
While I agree with you, especially about the prop -- to be fair, not everybody in boat sales is a boater. What we have on here is a mircrocosm of boat owners. We are the nuts that will mod and trick things to get them exactly how we want them. You wouldn't expect a salesman at a new car deaership to know what aftermarket rims people are putting on their new car -- especially when his dealership isn't selling those rims.

New Guy
01-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Yeah but a boat market is much smaller in terms of options then a car market. The guys at the dealership should know what is out there, I mean it doesn't change that much from year to year.

you da man
01-27-2010, 11:36 AM
While I agree with you, especially about the prop -- to be fair, not everybody in boat sales is a boater. What we have on here is a mircrocosm of boat owners. We are the nuts that will mod and trick things to get them exactly how we want them. You wouldn't expect a salesman at a new car deaership to know what aftermarket rims people are putting on their new car -- especially when his dealership isn't selling those rims.

I dont think you can compare rims on a car (useless but cosmetic) to a ballast system (functional and meaningful) on a boat made for making wakes. If it was my job to sell boats (or anything else) and I'm getting a nice commission, I would definately be doing some lurking on forums to hear the gripes, complaints, praise, and mods associated with a product. When I bought my diesel truck my salesperson was very informative about extras/mods and even told me the backspacing and offset range for aftermarket wheels.

DOCDRS
01-27-2010, 12:18 PM
I have to agree with you man. When i tested boats out and the owner of the dealership is with me and he doesn't even know how to read the dash or what some of the numbers mean it really makes you wonder!!!!! And this stuff is not rocket science. guess that why i didn't buy from him. Plus these boats are sport specific, thats why we buy them. they should know!!! And some of dealers know alot....They are the ones who are passionate about the sport and product just as we are.

I'm laughin my ass of now as i scroll up to see what the thread started as, I see how a thread can go astray so easily..........sorry to get off topic....i do love my swivel racks with the pull pins

gus 08 mobius lsv
01-27-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm laughin my ass of now as i scroll up to see what the thread started as, I see how a thread can go astray so easily..........sorry to get off topic....i do love my swivel racks with the pull pins

i was looking into this as well! what brand are yours doc? obviously the point of them is so you don't have to hang out around the tower to get em out correct? any other ups or downs about the swivel racks?

you da man
01-27-2010, 03:07 PM
i was looking into this as well! what brand are yours doc? obviously the point of them is so you don't have to hang out around the tower to get em out correct? any other ups or downs about the swivel racks?

That's basically my concern is sturdiness of the product. These racks are going to take punishment, especially those that will be on boats that use large, open lakes that will get 1-2ft chop. Heard good and bad with Titan racks, mainly good on their newer stuff.

gus 08 mobius lsv
01-28-2010, 01:08 PM
That's basically my concern is sturdiness of the product. These racks are going to take punishment, especially those that will be on boats that use large, open lakes that will get 1-2ft chop. Heard good and bad with Titan racks, mainly good on their newer stuff.

we get the chop from the amount of boats in a smaller ski zone! yeah there's so many different companies out there that sell em if i fork out the money i want one thats gonna last not take a crap on me after a 2 seasons. any ideas guys on ones to look for or stay away from?

you da man
01-28-2010, 01:30 PM
just got a call back from my dealer, $1179 for both Moonba swivel racks and you have to drill into the tower.

gus 08 mobius lsv
01-28-2010, 02:28 PM
just got a call back from my dealer, $1179 for both Moonba swivel racks and you have to drill into the tower.

this comes stocked with 4 wakeboards too right?? lol that seems pretty steep!!

you da man
01-28-2010, 03:29 PM
this comes stocked with 4 wakeboards too right?? lol that seems pretty steep!!

It is pretty high but some of the other swivel racks are going for $1000 per pair as well. I haven't seen these in person and they are drilled into that small crossbar where the regular racks are. That still seems like a little reach compared to racks that swivel off the tower bar itself.

bjames
01-28-2010, 06:11 PM
I paid over $1500 for my Titan Swivel racks in the fall. These are the ones that come with the 2010 Supras. Expensive but sturdy

you da man
01-28-2010, 06:26 PM
What's crazy is if you order the swivel racks with the 2010 Moomba the order sheet says $695 for the swivel rack. However, to add the racks to your Moomba you already have, cost to dealer then the markup from dealer to consumer puts it at $1,200.

DOCDRS
01-28-2010, 06:53 PM
I have the titan swivel racks, mine were free with the boat. :)

newty
01-28-2010, 06:57 PM
1200? LOL thats kinda what I thought! I think I'll' hang on to my racks.

jester
01-28-2010, 07:40 PM
I think i can deal with reaching over the side of the boat to get my board down. $1200 can pay for me to fall in and be pulled out of the water.

gus 08 mobius lsv
01-28-2010, 09:19 PM
I have the titan swivel racks, mine were free with the boat. :)

not sure anything is free!

DOCDRS
01-28-2010, 10:42 PM
well i could have said the boat was free but the swivels were darn expensive:)

moombadaze
01-29-2010, 08:21 AM
well i could have said the boat was free but the swivels were darn expensive:)

Isnt that the way it is.

01-29-2010, 12:21 PM
man, for 1200 bucks you could hire someone to get those boards down for you (preferably in a bikini). Seriously though, $1200 is a lot for money for racks, more then I want to spend. Heck that's half the price of my first boat! For $695 I'd probably be considering them though.

THSEADOO
02-02-2010, 05:12 PM
I saw them at the boat show and they do look nice. The dealer there told me they were $725 installed for both sides. The only issue I saw with them is they hit the Bimini top if it is not in the stored position.

you da man
02-02-2010, 05:40 PM
I saw them at the boat show and they do look nice. The dealer there told me they were $725 installed for both sides. The only issue I saw with them is they hit the Bimini top if it is not in the stored position.

That's if you order them with the boat. Dealer cost is more than $725 if they order the racks after your boat purchase. Then the usual markup so they can make money.

THSEADOO
03-04-2010, 03:45 PM
That's not what he told me but you are probably right.