PDA

View Full Version : Hull Repair Question

moombroo
01-25-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm new to the forum and to the boating world all together. I recently purchased a 1999 Moomba Outback L/S. This afternoon I noticed that the keel towards the front of the boat has some slight damage. Doesn't appear to be serious, but worrying none the less. It has two spots, one about 6 inches long and another that is about 1 inch long where it appears the boat was run up on concrete or something hard. It gouged into the keel, basically removing about 1/16" of the fiberglass and or gel coat. Doesn't appear to be anywhere near puncturing all the way thru or causing problems.

Anyhow, the question is, how can I repair these small spots? Can I scuff them up and use epoxy to fill in or can I use fiberglass resin or what?

Thanks ahead of time

maxpower220
01-25-2010, 09:19 PM
You can buy a gel coat repair kit at West Marine (or similar) and do the repair. There are instructions on the kit. Your biggest issue will be color match. If you do a search on gel coat repair on youtube, you will probably find tons of videos: the internet is great.

I have had a little gel coat issue before, but I took mine to a shop and had them do the repair. It was cheap and turned out perfect. Check the Yellow Pages in your area for a boat fiberglass shop.
Good Luck.

moombroo
01-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the help. I'm gonna have it looked at when I get in from work. Hoping I can patch it myself and then I'm going to put a keel guard on I believe.

Sled491
01-25-2010, 09:34 PM
the problem most do it your selfers have with gel coat repairs is not understanding why it cracks after. The gel stays soft under while hard on top. According to my repair guy there is a techique to doing it right. For the money it will probably cost you are better off getting it done by the pro's

RobertJ
01-25-2010, 09:37 PM
MoomBro, I had an issue like this one of my previous boats and I found out it was happening because of one of the rubber covers came of one of the cross members on the trailer. I thought it would be impossible for the boat to hit one of the cross members but when the loading the boat the trailer is on an incline (ramp) so it was indeed possible. I bought a need cross memeber cover and I had a gel coat repair place do the work. It turned out great. Good luck

moombroo
01-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Any ideas on how much the repair will run at a reputable marine shop?

Sled491
01-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Depending on labour rates in your area, and if it has to come off the trailer or not I would say the range would be 200 - 400 on the high high side

maxpower220
01-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Only slightly the same, but the repair to the fiberglass fender (attached) was $150. The scrape on my boat (similar to your issue) was $200.

Labor rates will vary. The economy had my guy needing work, so you should be able to get a pretty good deal on labor.

Sled491
01-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Hmmm seems the model of the boat you show is slightly different than the model in your signature.

DOCDRS
01-26-2010, 08:03 PM
I picked up on that too sled, he may be a two timer! :)

snowboardcorey
01-26-2010, 08:06 PM
If you are going to be putting a keel guard on there is really no reason to fix the gel damage as it's going to be fully covered. Gel coat is a thin layer of colored epoxy that covers the fiberglass, the glass itself is what gives the boat its structural integrity so if its not damaged you have no worries.

That being said minor gel coat repair skills are not bad to have. You might want to tackle it more to gain some knowledge for any future dings that are not so easily concealed.

You can usually get a small amount of "Patch Paste" from your dealer, they will have to order it as it has hardener in it and thus not a long shelf life. This is color matched (pretty much) right out of the canister and is kind of like body filler. Put it on, let it dry, sand it smooth and then buff, buff, buff.

Sled491
01-26-2010, 08:20 PM
I know for a fact there are a few around. But, hey this is the most happening site in the Inboard market! You should see how the MC brass treat there forum members. They were handing out printed versions of some of the stuff that is said on their forums at the Moomba/Supra booth in Milwaukee, it was enough to make me even happier not to be a MC owner.

kaneboats
01-26-2010, 08:36 PM
You guys are paranoid. Nobody is allowed to have a former boat? You never had a former girl-- and kept pictures of her?

maxpower220
01-26-2010, 10:23 PM
I currently own the 08 Outback.
Previous: 99 MC Sportstar
94 MC 205 (not pictured)
99 Malibu Sportster LX
87 Magnum Skier

phospher
01-27-2010, 12:16 AM
those are some nice boats, so which is your favorite?

RobertJ
01-27-2010, 12:24 AM
My favorite always seems to be the next one, although my '07 LSV is perfect.

maxpower220
01-27-2010, 10:15 AM
those are some nice boats, so which is your favorite?

Well, that is really tough. The Malibu had the best slalom wake I have ever been behind. That boat was really light and had almost no wake: not to mention a 50+ mph top speed. But it was carburated, it was a step over to the bow, the interior was not contructed very good, and at that time I was wakeboarding a lot.
The 99 MC had a great slalom wake, it had an open bow, and it fit into any standard garage. Construction was great and the FI was flawless. The only reason I sold it was; I wanted a speed controller, a tower, and the trailer needed to be replace. The price for all of that would have equalled the price of my new Moomba. I sold the boat for $1500 less than I paid 7 yr earlier.
The Moomba has a good slalom wake, a good wakeboard wake, and a LOT more room.

I only had the MC 205 for a very short time (I flipped it and made a lot of money at the time). While many MC fans love the 205, it was my least favorite boat hull. Loved the Corvette motor.
The 87 Magnum Skier was my first inboard. It was closed bow and had a Mercruiser engine. But it served me well for 5 years. I put over 800 hours on that boat: ah, the college days of endless skiing/boarding and young girls in bikinis.

Sled491
01-27-2010, 10:44 PM
You guys are paranoid. Nobody is allowed to have a former boat? You never had a former girl-- and kept pictures of her?

When you get to meet my wife, there will be no talk of former girlfriends! Get it :D