PDA

View Full Version : Rear floor, cutting exhaust hose

phospher
01-25-2010, 03:02 PM
Hi guys,

I have an 08 Outback that I just bought. I was going through everything with a fine tooth comb and in doing so found that the rear mid-section of the floor that comes up(aluminum plate covered with carpet) is starting to cut into the rubber exhaust hose. I had this same problem on my other boat and just rigged something up to protect it. I think I'll fabricate some type of sheild to take care of the problem.

Has anyone else seen this? If you haven't pulled up your floor I suggest you check it out.

deerfield
01-25-2010, 03:15 PM
phospher - What are the steps to removing the aluminum plate to which you make reference? Is it just a hadnful of screws? Thanks. - Deerfield

phospher
01-25-2010, 03:19 PM
yes, there are 4 screws. one in each corner of the floor section. i had a hard time getting two of the four screws lined back up when i went to screw it back in because there is no good way to line them up.

The bottom side of the floor is not covered in carpet and the metal edge of the floor is cutting into my exhaust. Happy I checked it out...

deerfield
01-25-2010, 05:24 PM
phospher - I will check it out and let you know what I find. Probably this weekend. Thanks. - deerfield

Mikey
01-25-2010, 08:20 PM
My 07 Outback DD has or had the same kind of issue. I managed to flatten the sharp edge right at that spot that it touches the muffler,using a hammer and flattened that spot but if i had a grinder you could probably grind it down quite easily. Someday i may still do this.
As for getting the screws back in exactly the same Good luck. 2 out of 4 screws weren't even catching as edges underneath broke off so i moved 2 and found a slightly different spot and redrilled at more angle and now tight very carefully. Probably had something to do with the muffler touching issue in the first place.

phospher
01-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Mikey,

That's a good idea, maybe I'll try filing it down.

Mikey
01-25-2010, 11:16 PM
Plate i believe is aluminum so grind/file shouldn't be too difficult.Good luck.

viking
01-26-2010, 12:08 AM
I would imagine that they are easy to find? Or are the screws covered in carpet a bit? I'll go check my 07 this weekend too. Got me thinking!

phospher
01-26-2010, 01:05 AM
I would imagine that they are easy to find? Or are the screws covered in carpet a bit?

Nah, you won't have a problem finding them just take a close look.

deerfield
01-26-2010, 11:45 AM
phospher - I will check it out and let you know what I find. Probably this weekend. Thanks. - deerfield

phospher - This will wait. Weather forecast for the weekend is near zero. Probably just leave this inspection until spring. Will get back to you on this one around April or May. - Deerfield

phospher
01-26-2010, 04:04 PM
I know.. this weather sucks, i'll be hoping for an early spring.. C'mon spring!

NCSUmoomba
01-29-2010, 01:44 PM
I had a similar issue in my 01, except the flange on the back of the floor plate was hung on the muffler and i had a hard time getting the floor up. I just took a grinder to the aluminum flange where it was getting hung.