PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Boats

SEARK
01-25-2010, 11:59 AM
While at the Little Rock boat show this weekend saw 2 of the ugliest boats. The first was an Axis. It was yellow & black and was just boxie. To me it was just ugly. The 2nd was a Malibu, not sure which one, but it was Pepto Bismol pink and black (very little black). Wish I'd taken a picture of it. I could not see paying that much money for a pink boat.

iwakeboard
01-25-2010, 12:03 PM
There is a niche market for them, Malibu's are good boats and the Axis is growing in popularity. There are alot of ugly boats at boat shows, generally extreme color combos, etc. The Axis has grown on me. Ugliest wake boat I've ever seen was the Gekko Revo 6.7. http://wakeboardingmag.com/boats/2009/09/12/gekko-sports-revo-67-2009/

well, it's more so that the wake is very bad then that it's ugly.

you da man
01-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Epic is kinda ugly but has grown on me some. The bow makes it hidious but the wake is awsome, surf wake not so much. The transome stereo is a bit overkill especially if you really ballast the boat heavy. I like the axis but the interior is awful.

kaneboats
01-25-2010, 12:49 PM
There is a niche market for them, Malibu's are good boats and the Axis is growing in popularity. There are alot of ugly boats at boat shows, generally extreme color combos, etc. The Axis has grown on me. Ugliest wake boat I've ever seen was the Gekko Revo 6.7. http://wakeboardingmag.com/boats/2009/09/12/gekko-sports-revo-67-2009/

well, it's more so that the wake is very bad then that it's ugly.

Well, that one's not going to win a beauty contest but it's not THAT bad. They should have at least detailed the engine compartment before they let any video be shot.

skiyaker
01-25-2010, 01:46 PM
personally I'm not very fond of the MB Boats, and after I looked at the MSRP ($65-75k) I decided my moomba is indeed beautiful.

brain_rinse
01-25-2010, 02:55 PM
I really like distinctive color schemes on boats, just not on MY boat. They look so cool on the water, but will look way outdated in just a few years. A pink boat might be pushing it past "distinctive" though...

Sled491
01-25-2010, 10:52 PM
They had that same yellow and black Axis in Milwaukee (well maybe not the exact same one), didn't do much for me either. But that is an interesting point about the Bu's. I know there rated well and have great customer feedback, and at one time was the boat we were really looking hard at (before we discovered Moomba again), but man I just can't find a sweet spot for them anymore. In my opinion they're just way over done now. No alure for the hard core water sports guy, they are after the wanna be's looking to impress there friends and neighbours. I let our show on the water do that for us! :D

mk_deuce
02-16-2010, 03:19 PM
i cant believe you guys are hating on that axis. Its a price point boat just like our moomba's. In my opinion w/ the windshield, tower, and pickle fork bow its way ahead of 75% of the market in terms of forward thinking. Just saw one in person at the STL boat show this last weekend and if I hadn't already purchased a mobius last year the A22 would be in my driveway this spring.

deepcove
02-16-2010, 05:08 PM
I have seen a video of an all black Axis on youtube and I think it looks pretty cool. I like seeing something different from newer boat manufactures.

Sled491
02-16-2010, 05:20 PM
What does one go for?

sandm
02-17-2010, 12:31 PM
axis at our boat show was loaded and priced out at $54k. probably comparable to a fully loaded top end moomba. look at the interiors tho and axis can't hold a candle to moomba. the moomba looks finished, axis not so much. especially the vents cut in the seat bases. everyone can see your junk stored under the seats.. do like the pickle fork tho..

we have a guy in town that has a bu with the black and pepto pink gelcoat. it's mostly black with pink striping and accents. it's real hot looking imo, but I'm kind of partial to pink as a color. think it's dallas friday's bu that's for sale. all white with a pink striping. nice as well.. i'd be all over it if I didn't have one..

funny about boat color. it's all opinionated. dealer that sold me my boat said he didn't have one looker for 3 months and orange is not a popular color. I love it and have had several compliments on it, but have also had several that hate the color. to that I say buy your own with your own color. shuts them up quickly.. last thing I want to be is just like every other boat at the lake and either solid red or solid blue.. boring.. have to say the flashiest boat last year was a black/yellow radically striped mb. stood out ..

sailing217
02-17-2010, 02:09 PM
you can get about up to 10 grand off sticker of an Axis.

I really like the Axis, especially there was a special edition at our boat show and there was no chrome and nothing shiny on it. The tower and metal foot plates were all matte black. The hull was white with grey. Very understated and back to basics. I don't like chrome all over the bu's. Interior is low grade and not keen on those seat bases, but if they hold up well then they actually look sharp with LEDs in there and do let air get to all the stuff under them like ballast sacs.

Still waiting to see the Axis surf wave.

Ugly boats: I do like pickleforks, but hate the lines of the MB tomcat hull. Gekko and Epic hulls are no good imo.

Ugly colors: just like chrome spinners on 24's, all neon boats and all metal flake boats probably won't look hot on the water years down the road.

BRANDNIRON8971
02-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Hey, I'd take a pink BU............If Dallas Friday came with it.

Sled491
02-18-2010, 12:34 AM
Whoa, I'd take that deal too :D

Razzman
02-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Anybody seen a Wakecraft (http://www.wakecraft.com/)? One of the damndest ugliest things i've ever seen imo. Some people love 'em though. Made in Atwater California a few miles from where i live by ex-Bu execs. Supposedly though they create one of the best wakes out there.

Epic boats / hulls are actually & probably undeniably the best at what they are intended for, serious wakeboarding and that only. Weight one down with the stock 4,000lb ballast and it produces a wake that is larger and more precisely formed than any to date, you'll see a wake that nobody else's boats can match for height and firmness. Add the stock wakeplate to finess the wake and the dual rudder for driving stability and you have an awesome wakeboarding platform ... BUT to me they're also ugly to look at, all angular, chopped nose, plain interior and those blasted speakers all over the transom. They are all about serious function, not bling.

dru1974
02-18-2010, 01:50 AM
well razz I clicked your link there and looked at the wakecraft boats. they looked pretty sweet except the rear end could use some work.

mmandley
02-18-2010, 03:39 AM
I'm sure you guys might know this about the Axis but its made by Malibu.

They designed and built it as there Entry level wake boat. It was made to compete more with Moomba and others like Moomba who are cheaper.

Axis is all about function, not beauty or lines. Everything about the boat was function minded.

AWS has one and had it at the boat show, its a Black on Black Vandel edition. Its got some realy cool things on it and some realy not so cool things. Still for 50+ i want more style and such.

Sled491
02-18-2010, 08:53 AM
That wakecraft isn't ugly. The graphics are, and the drop transom is dated, but it has nice lines.

sandm
02-18-2010, 12:24 PM
never seen a wakecraft in person, but the pics look cheap, and not a real attractive boat.

razz is spot on with the epic. the nose on those looks like a freighter and the transom speakers are not real appealing, but I have seen the wakes and rolled over a few of them in my boat. they are downright bada$$. have not heard great things on them as a surf boat tho. one of the worst for resale as well if you were crazy enough to pay msrp...

moomba07
02-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Ooohhh man that is sick just hearing about it, i cant imagine seeing a pink boat on the water thats a disgrace towards malibu

Razzman
02-19-2010, 12:17 AM
Actually it's not for them, Malibu has been making Pink boats for eons and seem to enjoy doing so. In fact i saw a VTX like the first one below that was actually pretty striking to look at. Btw the first two shown are owned by men, the pink/gray is pro boader Dallas Friday's (http://www.dallasfriday.com/)whom rides for Malibu.

sandm
02-19-2010, 08:43 AM
that middle one has a match here in boise as well. some banker owns it. imo, best color combo out there...

dallas friday's current boat. I'd be all over it if I was in the market. for sale on wakeworld currently..
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/773203.jpg

my next boat will be some combo with pink in it. def. be unique on the water, and as stated, who wants to look like everyone else :)

wolfeman131
02-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Actually it's not for them, Malibu has been making Pink boats for eons and seem to enjoy doing so. In fact i saw a VTX like the first one below that was actually pretty striking to look at. Btw the first two shown are owned by men, the pink/gray is pro boader Dallas Friday's (http://www.dallasfriday.com/)whom rides for Malibu.

Razz,

You got me in all kinds of trouble man! I showed my 8 & 10 yr old girls these pics and immediately heard, "We want one!!!" I told them if Dallas Friday came with boat #3, I would consider it. :)

deerfield
02-19-2010, 09:20 AM
I told them if Dallas Friday came with boat #3, I would consider it. :)

Had to do a Google search. Uh, now I understand.

moombadaze
02-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Had to do a Google search. Uh, now I understand.

Same here.

Razzman
02-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Razz,

You got me in all kinds of trouble man! I showed my 8 & 10 yr old girls these pics and immediately heard, "We want one!!!" I told them if Dallas Friday came with boat #3, I would consider it. :)

Too funny! Yeah my wife saw the black/pink VTX one i mentioned at the boat show a couple years ago and said there's my boat! Fortuneately she never pressed it! LOL! :p Seriously though they actually look good and def will stand out in a crowd.

kaneboats
02-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Razz,

No you wouldn't cuz I would have already bought it. It's in FL here (with bad pics of D. Friday):

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-MALIBU-VLX--Dallas-Friday's-Boat!!-96419607

sandm
02-19-2010, 03:15 PM
so basically you're paying $43990 for a day with dallas and getting a free boat :)

kaneboats
02-19-2010, 03:27 PM
Um, yeah. I guess that's how I look at it.