PDA

View Full Version : Wood stringers

dru1974
01-21-2010, 10:10 PM
I was involved in a post comparing a sanger boat to a calabria. someone had posted that the sanger had wood stringers in it and that that is the best way to do it and the reason mc cc and bu dont is it is to precise of work. it was a thread on wakeworld.com . please enlighten me someone

Razzman
01-21-2010, 11:06 PM
Sanger has had wood stringers since the 60's and probably will until they quit making boats. They've been using a special rot-proof special composite wood for years now and i've never heard of one having problems. Sangers are hand built one at a time, no assembly line, no mass producing. At best they make 400 a year i think it is.

They are extremely sturdy and can take heavy lake chop better than any similar sized boat i've ever been in, including the big three. The stringers are wood, the floor is wood as are all the supporting under floor structures. There's nothing wrong with wood if done right and nobody's better than sanger.

My brother-in-law has a 1989 Ski Sanger DX with the original floor and stringers. When he hit a very large rock at Lake Shasta last july going 30mph all it did was rip the rudder out and left a 8x8 hole, it didn't sink. When we gutted it to have it fixed there wasn't a bad spot we could find.

A good freind of mine has a 2005 Sanger V215 and it's a fantastic boat and was actually my first choice, but the LSV was a better deal so here we are.

So what's better? Wood or glass? Everybody has their opinion but the ones that cry foul on wood and don't buy it need to realize that before glass there was wood and it still works and is more solid when done right as Sanger does.

you da man
01-21-2010, 11:17 PM
I've heard the same about Sanger in their rough water abilities. People say it's the most solid riding boat in the business. I had my heart set on a Sanger but I only wanted the 237 model and couldn't find one in my price range. I could have gotten plenty of 215's but even Sanger owners say you will eventually take water over the bow. The 237 is substantially a bigger boat with much higher freeboard. What sucks is the week after I bought my new XLV I found a new Sanger 237 for $47k

Razzman
01-21-2010, 11:56 PM
The only way your taking water over the bow of a V215 if is you have overballasted the bow and don't know how to drive, seriously!

you da man
01-22-2010, 12:36 AM
The only way your taking water over the bow of a V215 if is you have overballasted the bow and don't know how to drive, seriously!

That would make sense but a few Sanger owners have said rollers over the bow does happen on occassion on crowded waters

Razzman
01-22-2010, 12:01 PM
That would make sense but a few Sanger owners have said rollers over the bow does happen on occassion on crowded waters

That can happen on any tournament boat if your not watching what's going on. I had that happen on my LSV, jerk in a Avalanche suddenly started up and did a powerturn in a cove doing a 270 around me and sent a massive wake at me. Couldn't even get the boat started before it hit the bow, probably dumped 40 gallons over the nose! :mad:

DOCDRS
01-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Thats why i picked the supra 21v highest,steepest bow in the industry, i used to have to be careful in the supposedly no wake zones with all the wally's in there 24 ft cruisers, with my outback ls which i believe has about the lowest bow in the industry. Saw my buds wife burry his 24 ssv into his own wake on a turn around last summer.

maxpower220
01-22-2010, 04:36 PM
The big three all used wood stringer, floors and transoms. As time went along, they migrated away from wood. For a while, Tige promoted proudly that they still used wood in their boat stringers and floors (they now use no wood).

Wood is easy to use and has many great functions. When it gets wet and rots (it eventually will), then you have a process to redo it.

If I were in the market for a 10-15 yr old boat, I would only by a "no wood" or fiberglass only boat. I have already done the replace a stringer and floor in my first inboard boat. If I were buying new, it would bother me less as I doubt that I would keep a boat long enough to need to replace anything.

Water over the bow/side is not a function of wood or fiberglass.