PDA

View Full Version : Anyone priced a new trailer recently?

polar21
01-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Just wondering if anyone has priced a new trailer recently? I am probably a year or two away (hopefully) before I have to replace mine and just wondering if anybody out there is shopping as well. Looking at a single axel galvanized trailer...nothing to fancy.

DOCDRS
01-21-2010, 04:08 PM
My dealer quoted mine at 3500 on the bill( sept 09) but it has dual axel 5 custom wheels,stainless steel fenders , aluminum step plate etc

moombadaze
01-21-2010, 05:21 PM
Think you can find a aluminum trailer cheaper than a galvanized.

polar21
01-21-2010, 05:26 PM
I would have thought a galvanized would have been alot cheaper than an aluminum. I would take an aluminum trailer over a galv. one any day of the week. Oh, the $3500 trailer that Doc mentioned about gave me a heart attack. lol

maxpower220
01-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Since your trailer is still workable, you might think about having it redone soon; while it still has good parts. Eddie English Trailers in Milton (on 90 between Milton and Pace) is a great shop with good prices. You might give him a call to see what he can do.

BTW, $3500 is pretty much what a new trailer will cost for a ski boat. Minimum $4500 for aluminum. I checked around 2 yrs ago when I had my MC. I ended up having Eddie fix the rusted parts and lights.

deepcove
01-21-2010, 10:04 PM
I had a galvanized heavy duty single axle, drop axle, swing -a-way tongue made for my LS last year. Cost was $3,500 CDN.

ajmoritz17
01-22-2010, 09:43 AM
I have the single boatmate that came with my lsv which i think is BS (Should have came with a double). Anyways I was getting the same prices for a double from dealer...I would love to find someone who wanted to trade a double for my single and some cash. Its pretty much brand new-white LED Lights Swing away tounge...

polar21
01-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Wow....seems as though the 3500 is about the norm. No freaking way would I pay that for a trailer. Heck, why are these types of trailers so expensive? The saltwater fishing guys are getting all aluminum, double axle trailers for less money than a steel single axle ski boat trailer....that doesnt make much sense to me.

If it comes down to it I will just take my beat up trailer over to Eddie's shop (as mentioned above) and have him redo what he can on it.

Sled491
01-22-2010, 06:17 PM
What's wrong with your trailer that it would need replacing?

polar21
01-23-2010, 10:28 AM
My trailer is a steel trailer that has lived most of its life in a saltwater environment. On the outside there is some bubbling of the paint and some places where the rust is beginning to eat all the way through. If you look inside the main frame of the trailer, you can see the where the steel sheets have begun to separate. Othan than that it is solid as a rock! :roll: I guess I am lucky in that the boat ramp is less than 5 miles away. BTW, I have only owned the boat for 4 months.

Sled491
01-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Yeah that salt water sucks all right.

deepcove
01-23-2010, 09:57 PM
My boatmate trailer lasted 4 years in the salt chuck and that was with immediate rinsing after pulling out of the ocean. Year 4 it was literally splitting in half, rusting from the inside out. The axle was the only thing holding it together. If I was to do it all over again I would drill a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom of each cross member so the salt water could escape.

$3,500 is a lot of money for a galvanized but it is worth it IMO if you are in the salt chuck. I went with drum brakes with a flush kit. The guy who built it recomended this because you do not have the fine tolerences of disc brakes. I think he is correct as 2 years with drums I have not had any maintenance issues. With my boatmate discs I was paying a couple hundred dollars each year to have them fixed anually, again this was with regular rinsing.

Also I prefer a single axle as my storage is pretty tight and with a single axle you can easily move your boat with trailer around by hand.