PDA

View Full Version : Nicest/Coolest Thing You've Seen On the Water

kaneboats
01-21-2010, 11:28 AM
After Bensonwdby revived the idiots thread, I decided to start this one.

What is the nicest or coolest thing you've seen someone do on the water?

sandm
01-21-2010, 01:46 PM
can't speak for someone, but did run across a bear cub swimming across a narrow part of the lake we frequent 2 years ago. a little larger than an adult lab. was without a doubt the coolest thing I've seen. only one other boat around that had a family with small kids. we were able to get within 30-40 yards of him. the kids were real impressed. took a lot of pics, then decided mom must be around somewhere and might not be quite as impressed with us as we were with him, so we left..

wolfeman131
01-21-2010, 01:50 PM
there are LOTS of things to see in Cocktail Cove out at Lake Lanier. Most of them X-rated, so let your own mind wander . . .

But, with the kiddos and wife in the boat, we spotted a bald eagle on Lake Sinclair a few times last season. Best time was when he tracked and osprey, stole the fish the osprey caught and then landed in a big pine on the shoreline to feed. We watched the eagle with binoculars for 1/2 hr until he flew away. We were all amazed by the size of that bird - had to be as big as my girls.

zabooda
01-21-2010, 11:52 PM
Orcas whales but not from my boat. The neatest thing I saw from my boat was a bald eagle swoop down on the water and pull out a big ole fish and fly away. Can you imagine what it would be like to be swimming and all of a sudden you're yanked out and being hauled away a couple hundred feet in the air. Another thing I like watching is the air shows over the water

BensonWdby
01-22-2010, 08:50 AM
We had a Bald Eagle land on our dock a couple of years ago. Just looking over the side at the fish.

Was also just sitting in the middle of a small lake after picking up skier. Heard a small splashing - looked over side of boat and saw a mouse swimiing across the lake...

jbheuerman
01-22-2010, 01:50 PM
I would have to say the nicest thing on the water is when complete strangers help people out if their boat breaks down. I've been in both situations many many times...broken down, and helping other people out/pulling them to the dock.

kaneboats
01-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Cheers to everybody who does that! One day an old guy fishing in the basin where we launch said, "That's the third one today, ain't it? I been here." I think of it like a bank-- you better give when you can cuz you want it there when you need it.

Sled491
01-22-2010, 06:15 PM
I've seen a few cool things, not sure which one impressed me the most. Have seen a few moose swiming across lakes, tonnes of eagles, came across a family of Minks one time when I was guiding back in my young days. But these days it's what I find under the water that impresses me the most. Last Feb while diving in Cozumel I saw a school of squids come through followed by a giant eagle ray!

Razzman
01-23-2010, 11:43 AM
Got an old trailer sitting around your not using? :p

newty
01-23-2010, 05:19 PM
:pME!!!:p
Or.. maybe not.

Sled491
01-23-2010, 09:33 PM
:pME!!!:p
Or.. maybe not.

Ha ha ha ohhhh... your killing me so funny :D

iwakeboard
01-25-2010, 10:45 AM
I saw someone jump out of a boat moving pretty fast across the lake, the drive didn't realize till he was out of sight that the idiot had jumped out. I picked the idiot up and waited with him till the guy came back to get him. Turns out the idiot jumped out of the boat because of a bee that had latched onto him.

One of the nicest things I've ever experienced on the lake was after Boomsday in downtown Knoxville. It's the country's largest labor day celebration and is extremely crowded on the river:

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs260.snc1/10730_728277763455_9403317_42412466_2794711_n.jpg

Anyway, we'd been out there for several hours pumpin up the jams, swimming, enjoying beverages, etc. When it was time to go I was idling around trying to get out of the mess of yachts and cruisers (including Albert Haynesworth's 70' catamaran) when my battery died, lights and everything went out with yachts coming towards us. Thankfully, at that moment, this nice guy in a short little Bayliner offered me a jump. I don't know where the hell this guy came from but he was a life saver.

I found out from my tech that the alternator doesn't kick on until above 1,000 RPM's so by idling around I was just using what juice was left in my battery.

WakeMikey
01-29-2010, 02:36 PM
You got two batts now I hope, with an isolater relay? :) SurePower1314

iwakeboard
02-01-2010, 12:36 AM
You got two batts now I hope, with an isolater relay? :) SurePower1314

Haha, I do not, I need to though.