PDA

View Full Version : New to me Outback

racer20
01-19-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm the newest member of this Moomba club.. now just have to wait till spring to get out on the water.. its going to be a long few months.
2005 Outback...C:\Users\Mark Reynolds\Pictures\other\IMG_0062.JPG

viking
01-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Contrats! Welcome. Let's see some pics :)

moombadaze
01-19-2010, 08:56 AM
welcome to club--ya its always a long winter when you own a Moomba-no matter how long you have owned it for, and yes we like photos

kaneboats
01-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Welcome to the club! Be sure to get you location listed so you can communicate with other owners near you. And, get those photos up! We are desperate this time of year.

BRANDNIRON8971
01-19-2010, 09:38 PM
Welcome. When you get ready to start adding upgrades to the (New To You) MOOMBA, come to this site for ideas and opinions. I wish I would have right after I got mine. Going to be starting a few new ones I got the from looing at what others have done. (Thanks Newty and Cab.) To list a couple.

Sled491
01-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Hey welcome to the team, lets see some pics and your mod ideas!

BRANDNIRON8971
01-27-2010, 12:49 AM
I'M changing out the head unit, installing the Blue Sea bat. switch, and hopefully going to do the sub cut out that NEWTY did. (Will be getting with you to get more info, if you don't mind)

CAB...what I was thinking of doing, is instead of running the two power lines out of the switch, over to the amps. Can I run One over into a distribution box, then into the amps? Do I put the breaker(s) on the one line to the dist. block or on the lines to the amps? I will be adding a third amp..MONO for the sub,(hopefully sooner than later).

Oh ya... and relocating the amp board.

cab13367
01-27-2010, 03:23 AM
I'M changing out the head unit, installing the Blue Sea bat. switch, and hopefully going to do the sub cut out that NEWTY did. (Will be getting with you to get more info, if you don't mind)

CAB...what I was thinking of doing, is instead of running the two power lines out of the switch, over to the amps. Can I run One over into a distribution box, then into the amps? Do I put the breaker(s) on the one line to the dist. block or on the lines to the amps? I will be adding a third amp..MONO for the sub,(hopefully sooner than later).

Oh ya... and relocating the amp board.

Yes you can run one cable from the switch to the distribution block but if you want to do it right, you would use a cable that has a cross-sectional area equal to the two cables coming out of the distribution block so that it is not a bottleneck. You can put the breaker on the one cable between the distribution block and the switch but make sure you choose a fuse/breaker with an amp rating equal to the amp rating of your two amps added together (this assumes your two amps have on board fuses). I could not do it this way because my JL Audio amp does not not have any on board fuses.

mmandley
01-27-2010, 08:30 PM
I would use a relay type breaker for you line to the distro box. Your distro box should have fuses for each line to the amps build in. If it doesn't then a fuse online there would be safest. I would rather have a one fuse blow then let a surge get that close to the amp.

Clarification on line size would be if your running 4gauge line to the 2 amps then you need 2guage line to the distro box.

BRANDNIRON8971
01-27-2010, 09:01 PM
I have (4) of the 100 amp breakers that Cab had used. I was thinking about running 4 guage from the switch to the Dist. block, then 8 down to the amps.(Is that going to be big enough?)

so should I place a breaker on the wire to the dist. block and then one each to the amps??? Thanks by the way for all the help from everyone.

Will check on the AMP rating for the amps.(If this would be helpful info for you)

BRANDNIRON8971
01-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Scratch that..... Like you said Mike, 2 guage to the dist. block, and 4 to the amps.

This may help, running a Rockford p400-4 for the tower speaks, and the factory Kicker 200.4 for the cabin speaks. Trying to fugure out a way to
get the Apline PDX 1.600 Mono for the sub. Hopefully before season, for the
sub(Rockford M212S4B 12")

mmandley
01-27-2010, 10:02 PM
I have (4) of the 100 amp breakers that Cab had used. I was thinking about running 4 guage from the switch to the Dist. block, then 8 down to the amps.(Is that going to be big enough?)

so should I place a breaker on the wire to the dist. block and then one each to the amps??? Thanks by the way for all the help from everyone.

Will check on the AMP rating for the amps.(If this would be helpful info for you)

You can use the breakers after the distro box to the amps as well. It doesn't matter, my main thing is i don't trust the Amp fuse as my only protection point. Each amp needs its own circuit protection.

Think of it like this.

Amp 1 has a 30 amp fuse on the amp.
Amp 2 has a 60 amp fuse on the amp.

You run a 90 amp fuse to the Distro box that way each amp can run at its max and not pop the fuse. Now say you get a 50 amp surge, well Amp one just popped, hope that 30 fuse really caught it because thats its only protection.

The way i was describing is run a 90 amp circuit beaker on the line to the distro box. Then my distro block has an fuse for each leg. Its a 4 leg box. So i run a fuse equal to my amp for that leg of the line. Then i have the fuse in the amp. This way my system is triple protected. A bit redundant but i am an engineer type person and work for Intel and we have back ups for our back up for our back up system lol.

As for the amps your 200.4 can run fine on a 8 gauge line, it doesn't draw that much power. You 400 is on the line, could run 4 or 8. Your sub amp will need a 4 gauge line as well. I ran a 4 to my 700.5 as thats what it calls for. My 1K amp also calls for a 4 so my incoming line to the distro is a 2 gauge. Then again if rather have to big a line to my amp then to small as you can never allow to much power to the amp power input, only to little.

BRANDNIRON8971
01-28-2010, 12:22 AM
so, the 100 amp breakers that I allready have will be to high an amp rating for the legs to the amps?

P400 calls for and 80 amp and the ZX200 calls for a 30 amp. Just trying to stay away form the "crap do I have another fuse on the boat or not" thing. the reset breakers just seems alot more handy.

P.S. Thats why I love these forums, great technical advise for people in the know.

mmandley
01-28-2010, 12:37 AM
If you mean on the actual leg to the Amp then yes. 100 on a 30 or an 80 isnt going to pop before the amp fuse does.

Im sure you can use this on the main line coming to the distro box. its a tad low at 100 since the amps are asking for a max of 110. I wouldn't expect the 10 amp difference to be a issue.

On the leg from the distro box to the amp its way to high for the 30 amp. Its possible to use it on your bigger 80 amp but still its 25% over the amps recommended fuse.

ona side note i just noticed your in Tucson. Hommy i grew up in Tucson. My mom still ives there at Speedway and Kolb rd. Me and Claudia are headed down there last week of March first week of April to see family. She has family in Phoenix and El Paso.

newty
01-28-2010, 01:09 AM
Racer 20 Welcome to the club!

BRANDNIRON8971;83655]I'M changing out the head unit, installing the Blue Sea bat. switch, and hopefully going to do the sub cut out that NEWTY did. (Will be getting with you to get more info, if you don't mind)

Not at all pm me when you get ready to do it and I'll give you my #.

BRANDNIRON8971
01-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Mike, WOW, I'm at Broadway and Craycroft, only about two miles or so from your mom. That's fantastic. Hopefully by the time you get down here I can bring take you over and show some of the stuff I've done and am doing, see what ya think. Remind me when your getting ready to head down and I'll shoot you my number. Just thinking Rosevelt may being warming up by then.(by AZ standards)

Newty, def. hit ya up. Will be the last thing I do, still really afraid to make that first cut. What size sub did you put in there and rough size on the box?

newty
01-28-2010, 04:07 AM
10 in kicker (square) approx 1 cu ft. I'd have to take mesurments to tell u dimensions.

BRANDNIRON8971
01-28-2010, 10:32 AM
That's ok Newty, just wondering. don't go to the trouble. Mine also calls for just over 1 C.F. Thanks

mmandley
01-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Mike, WOW, I'm at Broadway and Craycroft, only about two miles or so from your mom. That's fantastic. Hopefully by the time you get down here I can bring take you over and show some of the stuff I've done and am doing, see what ya think. Remind me when your getting ready to head down and I'll shoot you my number. Just thinking Rosevelt may being warming up by then.(by AZ standards)

Newty, def. hit ya up. Will be the last thing I do, still really afraid to make that first cut. What size sub did you put in there and rough size on the box?

Nice man yea I know that intersection all to well lol. Park Mall right there inbetween Wilmot and Craycroft. 1 mile north of the Air Force Base.

If you get a chafe look at my thread under pride and joy there is a box Ryan built for my boat. I can bring it down with me on vacation and realy let ya hear it man. It's a great box, runs with a Kicker L5 Iso sub.

I would love to meet ya and see you baby and I'm sure AZ water even in the spring is warmer then water up hear, I'll have yo bring my shorts, and surfboard muahahah

BRANDNIRON8971
01-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Mike, no promises just yet on the Roosevelt trip. We take a 5 day trip right around then, that we'll be getting ready for. But I will need to get the boat outa the way and back up to storage at the lake right around then, to make room for a 45' motor coach that we use for the trip....So I was thinking we might be able to kill two birds with one stone.

Will your trip be the last week of March AND the first week of April??

OH YA, CONGRATS ON THE NEW BOAT RACER....Thanks for not shanking me for hyjacking your thread.:)

Sled491
01-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Gotta love Roosevelt!

Hyjacking is pretty commom around here :D

BRANDNIRON8971
01-29-2010, 01:06 AM
Ya, Sled, I've noticed that>:)

The man yes....The lake not so much. If it's a moderatly windy day out there, you might as well be 50 yards off the Pacific coast. The guy I sold
my run about to after I got my Outbac:D, sank it on his first trip up...and
he was a knowledgable boater. HUGE WAVES out there. Good times...

mmandley
01-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Naa its all good man i was trying to pirate a ride or anything LOL. Id be happy to meet ya for a beer and talk boating for a bit LOL.

Yea planning last weekend in March be in Tucson right around the 1st of April

BRANDNIRON8971
01-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Not a problem. Like I said tho I'll be needing to take back up to the lake storage somtime around then. Thats a long drive to just park it and turn around and come back home.... no since in not putting it on the water while I'm there. But like I (also) said we'll have to see whats all going on then. Matter of a fact we start getting ready for that trip hear pretty soon. Will see what it looks like around that week your coming down.

May start that Blue Sea install this wkend???

I REALLY like that beer idea..:)