PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Mooba Mobius

RedRaider
01-18-2010, 06:30 PM
I am looking at a 2000 Moomba Mobius to purchase. We do more skiing than boarding. Skiing is mostly aggressive short line and courses. I'm looking for a boat that has a pretty nice slalom wake. Ideally it could be fat-sacked into having nice boarding wakes.

Questions: How are the wakes on the Mobius (direct not the V-drive)? Is the Mobius first and foremost a wakeboarding boat? Is the 2000 year Mobius a decent one, or one to be avoided? What's the track record?

Any input before I invest a bunch more time in pursuing this boat would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

zabooda
01-19-2010, 04:17 AM
I have a 98 Mobius and they were similar in 99. They changed in 2000 but I'm not sure what besides the metalflake was gone. My boat is an Outback with a tower and the label plate even states the Outback. I have had very little issues and the wake is OK for the size of the boat. The shorter DDs have a better wake but no room for people so it is a compromise and one that I have lived with for 8 years with no regrets.

kaneboats
01-19-2010, 10:52 AM
I have the 2000 Outback LS. I think it's the same hull. The Mobius just came with a tower. The Outback was AWSA approved and has a nice ski wake. You can get more info on the hulls in the Archive under "about Moomba" at the top of the page or click here:

http://www.moomba.com/archive/

For info on whether you can sack out and surf behind an Outback/Mobius DD, check out this thread with pics:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9199&highlight=Outback+surf

This boat is a great model and low maintenance. You will love it if you ski a lot and wakeboard and/or surf a little.

dereklschmidt
01-24-2010, 12:47 AM
They are great boats! I have the 2000 Mobius V and the wake is pretty shallow at 22mph, 2 people in the boat, trim tab up, & no ballast filled. However, you add a few more people, put the trim about 65% down, fill the sacs up and you get a monster wake. Slow her down and drop the tab the rest of the way down and the surf wake is sick. Pretty universal boat.

If you're interested, I am planning & trying to find a way to pay for, a wedding in July; so mine is up for sale. Let me know if you want some more info on it. Thanks.

moombadaze
01-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Weddings last one day. Boating is a lifetime activity.

dereklschmidt
01-26-2010, 10:05 AM
I agree, somethings need to come first I guess. The good thing is we both love to wakeboard & surf, so I don't think I'll be without a boat for long. Still trying to find a way to keep it, but it'd help out alot if I could get it sold. :) Besides, 2 incomes has "NEW BOAT" written all over it!!! :)

kaneboats
01-26-2010, 10:08 AM
Keep costs down. Don't invite anyone you wouldn't invite out on the boat. Congrats!

moombadaze
01-26-2010, 11:26 AM
combine them--get married on the boat--start things off correctly:D

kaneboats
01-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Hey, I'll toast that idea!

DOCDRS
01-26-2010, 07:00 PM
Weddings last one day. Boating is a lifetime activity.

oh that will win ya alot of votes from the girlies. But I like it :)

moombadaze
01-26-2010, 08:21 PM
gatta agree that getting married was one of the best decisions ive ever made.

kaneboats
01-26-2010, 08:50 PM
I grew up a boater but never had one till after I was married. Mrs. Kane has gone along with every boat fiasco adventure I've come up with (in IL-- going to KY in the middle of the night to beat another guy there to buy the first one-- in FL-- going to NC on an overnighter to bring one back-- then going to Miami with $12k in cash on Superbowl Sunday to get another one). When I brought the Outback home she cried because it wasn't as nice as the boat I sold. After some new covers and a wetsand and buff job she totally changed her mind. Now she's talking about a V-drive. I've said it before- if it's the right woman you do whatever you have to do. There will be other boats. Hopefully they are Moombas. Congratulations to you!

dereklschmidt
01-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I'm actually pretty excited, my fiance is perfect and we've been through a lot together, she's put up with all my "toy" purchases as well, and there's been plenty. ;) We're trying to keep the costs as low as possible, but not getting much help from the rents'. It will all work out, may have to sit out a season of boating, but the next season; well we'll just have to make up for it.

BTW: I love the tie-up idea for the dance, or maybe everyone takes a boat to a huge floating dock in the middle! hmmmm.....

THANKS FOR ALL THE CONGRATS!

chrisssteeven
02-20-2010, 03:16 AM
Hey can i see the pica of that.
And wanna know the prize of that and making process.

What you say its possible for me or not.

Have a well time.

dereklschmidt
02-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Little update, we're keeping the boat!! Receiving more money than expected back from the ol' government and decided it's not worth selling this summer to turn around and by another one next summer!

Now for some upgrades...:D

kaneboats
02-24-2010, 04:12 PM
Congrats!!!!

dereklschmidt
02-24-2010, 10:40 PM
True, thanks sled!

I had to pay in alot last year, i'm at least getting some back this year she found a new education tax credit for hers and it sky rocketed! Something about her paying so much out of pocket for school or something, i dunno but I like it!:D