PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Moomba Mobius

RedRaider
01-18-2010, 06:29 PM
I am looking at a 2000 Moomba Mobius to purchase. We do more skiing than boarding. Skiing is mostly aggressive short line and courses. I'm looking for a boat that has a pretty nice slalom wake. Ideally it could be fat-sacked into having nice boarding wakes.

Questions: How are the wakes on the Mobius (direct not the V-drive)? Is the Mobius first and foremost a wakeboarding boat? Is the 2000 year Mobius a decent one, or one to be avoided? What's the track record?

Any input before I invest a bunch more time in pursuing this boat would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DOCDRS
01-18-2010, 06:35 PM
the 2000 mobius is a ski boat first. The 99 was awsa approved and i believe nothing changed for 2000, but i'm sure someone will chime in. Had very few probs with my 99, it did 45mph and i used it for barefooting. I had the carb, the efi would have been nice for starting. Its a great boat imo. With factory ballast the wake increased, and with peeps in the boat we could surf as well

BensonWdby
01-18-2010, 07:03 PM
I also picked up a 99 with 5.7L carb in 2000. Not sure about the hull wrt to 2000 model. Mostly ski - have pulled 8 skiers on tandems - no problem. Been a good boat for me, but less experienced skiers have expressed concern over the wake. I ski 34 mph at 28-38 off, open water. I don't notice the wake. The 22 off bump is noticeable, I skied 15 off for a ong time behind tghis boat and then jumped to 28 off to avoid the bump. But as you know - if you are on edge, not much really of an issue. I have skied behind it with fat-sacs, probably 400 lbs worth. Not something I recommend.

I have noticed that with a boat load the wake is not so noice. We also ski from private doc, so even if we have a lot of people I ony take at most three others out, normally try to keep it to two in boat and one on ski. I have actually dropped people off at the doc in the middle of a run. The wake is also sensitive to weight distribution, but I think that is typical of DD in general.