PDA

View Full Version : Speed Control

nibots
01-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Does anybody have any experience with both Perfect Pass and Zero Off? I have a 2003 Outback LSV and am thinking about getting the Perfect Pass Stargazer wakeboard edition. I have also looked at the site for Zero Off. They both look like they do the same thing but am leaning towards the PP if for no other reason as the web site has more info and is easier to navigate. I know there has been some kind of settlement in their lawsuit pertaining to new boats but it looks like you can still get PP as after market equipment. Any info comparing the two would be greatly appreciated.

viking
01-18-2010, 12:58 AM
^^ i'm interested too ^^

I'd like to know the good, bad, and ugly on each type and what set's them apart? All I really know about is Moomba Cruise because it was factory whith my boat and If I understand correctly is RMP based?

Thanks!

maxpower220
01-18-2010, 10:12 AM
Perfect pass is a company that has been around for a long time and became the standard in the boat industry as well as tourny skiing. There product was based on adjusting the speed from a speed pickup (paddle wheel or pitot). They have a few models (wake/ski) and now they have Star Gazer.
Zero Off started a few years ago (probably 5 yrs now) with a GPS only speed controller. For running a course, the times (through the course) are extremely consistant. However, people used to PP did not like the "pull". ZO has been adjusting itself to mimick PP. PP has been adjusting itself to mimick ZO.

Both systems work well and have benefits. ZO is only for DBW boats; if you have a Moomba, they only have an ECU for 09 + boats. At least that is what Jeremy from ZO told me about 6 months ago. ZO got a contract to have their system pull pro events, which means hard core skiers want to have ZO in their training boats.

If you run in rivers, you will probably prefer PP. Also, PP will fit in the center console as a stand alone unit. ZO will replace either your tack or speedo. You tube has videos showing the ease of use from both products, that may help you also.

nibots
01-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Maxpower220
Thanks for all of the info. It sounds like my only option is PP as I have a mechanical throttle. I was wondering when I looked at the ZO site why they only showed a wiring harness and no throttle controller.
Nibots

cab13367
01-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Maxpower220
Thanks for all of the info. It sounds like my only option is PP as I have a mechanical throttle. I was wondering when I looked at the ZO site why they only showed a wiring harness and no throttle controller.
Nibots

I have PP Wakeboard Pro (mechanical version) and am perfectly happy with it. I brought along our portable GPS and calibrated the speedo as well as the PP to it so I know it's accurate. I then check it every season.

I think I read somewhere that Stargazer takes a few seconds to find a sattelite every time you power it up (which is the same as our portable GPS in my wife's car). I would hate that. I like the fact that the PP works without the need for any external input so it's always ready to go when you are.

Also, I used to have XM radio and I would lose the signal every time I drove along the Columbia River which has steep cliffs just to the south of the highway. I imagine that it would be the same way with Stargazer is you boat close to a steep cliff that is to the south of you (which is where the smooth water would likely be).

Anyone have that issue?

Al

Sled491
01-18-2010, 10:54 PM
I just went back and reread your post. You have an 03. As Ed mentioned your do not have DBW so you are left with only one choice this time around, PP.

sanity
03-13-2010, 01:56 PM
Also, I used to have XM radio and I would lose the signal every time I drove along the Columbia River which has steep cliffs just to the south of the highway. I imagine that it would be the same way with Stargazer is you boat close to a steep cliff that is to the south of you (which is where the smooth water would likely be).

Anyone have that issue?

Al

I just got PP installed so I haven't tested it, but... I think you would not generally have that issue as you do with XM. The reason is that XM uses way less satellites than GPS satellites. I have XM in my car and it loses signal all the time due to trees, mountains, etc. However, the GPS system hardly ever loses signal.

ausbill32
03-13-2010, 06:49 PM
I had wake board pro perfect past (paddle wheel) on my old supra 21v. I'm getting star gazer put in my LSV this week. If you hang tight till next Saturday, I can give you some feedback on the star gazer after I take her for a run next weekend.