PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain a V drive to me?

polar21
01-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Since I am only familiar with DD boats, how does a V drive work? On DD, you have motor-transmission-shaft-prop. Is there a seperate transmission for a V drive? I am completely lost as to how an inboard boat can have the motor in the back and still have a shaft and prop under the boat. Can someone enlighten me?

DOCDRS
01-14-2010, 06:52 PM
take your dd motor and tranny and turn it around , then off the tranny put a v shaped joint(vdrive) that will angle the prop shaft backwards under the boat and motor

maxpower220
01-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Imagine that you move room open in the back of your current boat. Take your engine/tranny and turn it around backwards in the boat and move it all the way to the back (so that the pulleys on the front of the engine are hard to access). Now connect (in your head) the tranny to the Vector drive. The vector drive unit receives the shaft from the engine and has an output to the prop shaft in the lower portion of the unit. The flange that comes out of the V-drive would connect (for our imaginary purposes) to your current prop shaft.
Now you have an engine in the back, you can open your seating area up closer to the driver and everyone can sit together. The extra weight in the boat will make for a better boarding/surfing wake.

DOCDRS
01-14-2010, 07:01 PM
heres a pic

http://www.glen-l.com/inboard-hdw/hdw-description.html

polar21
01-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the input. It would appear that it would be a PIA to work on the motor, especially if you have to re-pack the stuffing boxes (unless the dripless were standard on these type of boats). I guess its the same theory as stuffing twin diesels in a 30' pocket sportfisherman.

Razzman
01-15-2010, 11:25 AM
Polar from '07 on dripless is standard from Skiers Choice. It's really not that hard to work on them as everything in the way either folds down or is removeable. The only real pain is the impellor.

Sled491
01-15-2010, 11:55 PM
Compared to your DD, it is harder to work on due to the engine compartment being more closed in but for some people it's the only way to go.

maxpower220
01-16-2010, 11:44 AM
it is harder to work on due to the engine compartment being more closed in but for some people it's the only way to go.

What is this "work on your engine" stuff you refer to. I just turn the key and ski.

Sled491
01-16-2010, 06:31 PM
What is this "work on your engine" stuff you refer to. I just turn the key and ski.

My Mistake, you are absolutely Correct, I was thinking of my snomobiles :D