PDA

View Full Version : Tips for lowering '05 tower solo

csm
01-14-2010, 03:54 PM
We're looking at a house w/ a 3-car garage that the boat could fit in. I tried lowering the tower on my '05 LSV to measure the height, and it was a serious chore for me to do by myself. My previous boat had a Monster tower that folded to the back of the boat, and that was much easier.

Does anyone who owns a pre-'06 LSV or pre-'09 Outback have any tips that make this easier? The problem is that at the peak, the top of the tower is so high, there's just really no good way to support it to keep it from crashing down.

I also have a problem with my tower mirror. It's mounted in a spot so that the tower can't lower all the way on the front of the boat. Anyone have theirs mounted in a place that's out of the way? Or do you just have to remove it each time when folding the tower down? I hope not.

cab13367
01-14-2010, 03:59 PM
I can't help with the tower lowering as mine is an 06 which folds backwards (and I have no problem doing it myself). However, I can offer a suggestion on the mirror issue and that is to go with the monstertower.com mirror which has a quick release arm.

Al

moombadaze
01-14-2010, 04:32 PM
on the 03 lsv I had, I would stand on the outside of the boat and push the rear arm of the tower up and get it ballanced and then walk it down twords the bow-it would then rest on a oar from the tounge on the trailer to the tow eye on the tower. As for the mirror-I had a factory arm and it would not work-it would hit no matter where i put it, so i got a monster tower arm with the removeable base. hope this helps as its hard to discribe. I never could lower or raise the tower from inside the boat. 2 people really works better but after awhile i could do it no problem by myself-it was all about ballance when the tower was straight up.

csm
01-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Yep, that makes sense. I had an easier time folding it down than I did getting it back up. I was able to get it balanced better that way, it seemed. It's a scary couple of seconds wondering if you really have it balanced correctly or if it's going to crash down.

I was hoping there was an easier option, but seems like options are pretty limited with the design of the tower.

Sounds like a monster tower mirror is the way to go.

Thanks guys.

deepcove
01-14-2010, 10:29 PM
I have a 04 LS with the same tower. Like moombadaze said stand outside the boat and push the tower up to the balance point and then walk it towards the front of the boat. It is actually quite simeple to do by yourself, much easier if you have a person on either side of the boat. I made a stand that sits on the bow and supports the tower so it does not rest on the gel coat.

I have a mirror that clamps to the windsheild so I can not help you with that one.

mcdye
01-14-2010, 10:55 PM
going down, I do the balancing act on the side of the boat like mentioned. Going up I use a strap at the tow hook. Starting up I get to the balance point then use the strap to pull on over. Mirrorm cant beat the monster removed mount.

wolfeman131
01-14-2010, 10:56 PM
I have '08 OBV with the same tower and, like Daze, I haven't found a way to leave the OEM tower mirror in place. It's got to come off.

I have found the easiest way to lower and raise the tower myself is to use a rope from the tow point. I stand in the bow and pull it towards me to lower and stand on the swim platform and pull it towards me to put it back up.

csm
01-15-2010, 10:55 AM
So if you're using a rope, how do you keep it in control, and not have it crash down when you're pulling from the swim platform once it gets past the balance point? I would think letting it fall on the brackets that it screws into would start to wear on it.

wolfeman131
01-15-2010, 06:27 PM
I go slowly and catch it before it crashes.

mcdye
01-15-2010, 09:01 PM
i do it from inside the boat, not from the platform...i lift by hand up from the bow till i cant reach anymore, then use the rope to pull over the peak and catch it, only about 8 inch drop to catch.

deepcove
01-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Going up I just walk it from the bow of the boat towards the stern while standing beside the boat. Maybe its easier for me cause I am 6'1" but I would think getting a rope or strap involved would complicate the issue.