PDA

View Full Version : Where's the Outback?

Garn
01-13-2010, 09:22 PM
I just got my latest issue of Waterski magazine. It was the yearly boat buyers guide. Moomba had two boats in it: the Outback V and the LSV. Where the heck was the Outback? I mean, this is Waterski magazine, not Wakeboard magazine! I know that Waterski tests whatever boats the manufacturer delivers to them. So why the heck didn't Moomba get an Outback to be reviewed?! And what about the LS? Moomba makes two direct drives yet they sent two V-Drives to be reviewed. I don't get it. Like most people who read Waterski magazine, I'm a skier not a boarder. I'm a tournament skier and I'm not interested in how good of a wakeboarding wake the Outback V has. I'm pretty disappointed with Moomba. If you can't tell, I'm quite perturbed.

Garn

skiyaker
01-13-2010, 09:53 PM
hey I agree- got my Waterski mag and thought the same thing. I can understand the outback V getting a review as a crossover boat but to leave out the direct drives doesn't make much sense. Not sure who picks to boats to review though- I'm thinking Waterski mag forgot who their target audience is.

graybmg
01-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Was thinking the exact same thing! There were only a couple of boats where they showed the "optimized skiing wake". All the others were "optimized wakeboard wake". Last year's buyers guide was much better and more informative in my opinion.

sandm
01-14-2010, 12:51 PM
maybe waterski mag is getting ready to do a hostile takeover of wakeboarder?? would not be too hard to do if you look at the content in wakeboarder..

RickT
01-14-2010, 01:36 PM
The outback is alive and well. We were only allowed space for 2 Moomba's in the magazine. We chose the Outback V and LSV mainly because the Outback had been reviewed over 8 times by the magazine. Tough call though and I totally understand your point. Old Slalom skier as well.

Rick

maxpower220
01-14-2010, 07:02 PM
It is my understanding that the boat company must pay (about $10K) to have their boats reviewed and put in the Magazine. Look closely, MC and CC only have a few boats in the current issue also. Companies in this economy must chose wisely when spending advertising money.

rmckenney
01-14-2010, 11:09 PM
If that is true, then it is disappointing. I never really took the boat reviews seriously since none of them had anything negative to say, but a magazine that does honest reporting on the industry needs to be neutral and non-biased. Idealistic, I know. It's a shame that we're held hostage to only a choice few publications that cover the sports we love.

Must admit...did enjoy the article on Will Asher...and I'm not even a skiier!

barefooterh2o
01-15-2010, 12:14 AM
I too was disappointed with most of the boats reviewed were wakeboard boats and the review magazine was the smallest ever! I do understand there is a economic factor with the boat makers. That would explain a lot.

Laz
01-15-2010, 10:37 PM
I love getting WaterSki magazine but am disappointed every time. The articles usually lack depth and the boat reviews are really just advertising.

First, If money was no object, I would probably still get an Outback. I love this boat. I use the savings to justify regular trips to ski school. If I'm looking for validation of my purchase, the 20 minute or so segment in Edged in Water 2 with Chris Rossi, Terry Winter and company skiing behind an '06 Outback is good enough for me.

Sled491
01-15-2010, 11:48 PM
I appriciate a quick drop in by the Pres. I just hope he gets how great a following the Outback has. Especially from hard core skiers like myself on the others that have chimed in. I couldn't own a V Drive if I wanted to due to my lake frontage. I hope the Outback gets some R and D attention soon and isn't just left to be the lone DD in the SC line up to keep us pasified?

Mikey
01-16-2010, 06:33 PM
I hope there continues to be an LS as there was talk of Supra including a DD back in its lineup not that long ago. Also as to the comment about not wanting a Vdrive i have to agree.
Bottom line is I'm a skier First so a DD is still priority one for me in a boat. If there was no DD's in the lineup i personally would look at brands that do include DD's.
Vdrives are nice and roomy etc , just not what I want in a boat. Please SC keep these comments in consideration as i'm sure i'm not the only one who feels this way ,just one of the few willing to say it out LOUD.