PDA

View Full Version : starter issues

todd
05-21-2004, 04:38 PM
I bought a 2001 MObius in August 2003 from an owner that had it on a lake in S.C. I moved the boat to my home town on the coast, and the boat is run in salt water. I thouroughly clean motor and boat and flush after each use. In November of 2003, the starter rusted up . I replaced, and have used the boat maybe 8 times. Wednesday the new starter rusted up again. I am trying to figure out why there is so much water getting in the bell housing and flywheel. I have looked during use, and there is neve that much water in the bottom of the boat to get up that high. I am trying to figure out if there is a freeze plug or something in the engine that has come out, and their is water coming from the engine. This is getting expensive, Please help??

flynng
07-01-2004, 09:59 PM
I'm having the starter replaced on my 2002 Mobius LSV for the same reason! 2 years and the starter rusts out? That's rediculous. I think I'm going to call Moomba up and complain. If it happens again within 2 years there is going to be hell to pay. I had a 1997 four winns for 6 years and never had a single problem with the starter. That boat cost a third or this boat. I've had it for 6 weeks an already I've had to replace one out pump and now the starter. Did I mention that it went out and I ended up getting stuck in a lightening storm. Not a lot of fun on the water.

F

Yellowmobius
07-02-2004, 08:11 AM
I don't run in salt water but when I get home and get the boat in the garage I always prop the engine cover open to let all teh fumes out and let the compartment dry out.
Just a thought.....

slalomski
07-06-2004, 01:27 PM
Opening up the cover will allow the humidity from water inside the engine compartment to dissipate. I've noticed some of the same issues, and now do as yellow mobius does..... keep the engine cover open after use to dry it out.... Humidity sucks, when coupled with salt water, it only multiplies the problems.

etang789
04-17-2009, 01:46 AM
I have the same problem here!

Whats your replacement part number for the starter?

kaneboats
04-17-2009, 09:39 AM
This guy was highly recommended recently. Maybe give him a call and he can set you up with something and save you some green:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Rareelectrical__W0QQ_armrsZ1

etang789
04-21-2009, 03:57 AM
This guy was highly recommended recently. Maybe give him a call and he can set you up with something and save you some green:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Rareelectrical__W0QQ_armrsZ1

But the ebay link is to automotive parts? are they the same parts marine grade?

Razzman
04-21-2009, 08:55 AM
Try these guys instead, highly recommended as well.; http://www.dbelectrical.com/marine/marine.shtml

kaneboats
04-21-2009, 09:33 AM
But the ebay link is to automotive parts? are they the same parts marine grade?

If you scroll down he lists things like "Inboard Marine Starter".

etang789
05-08-2009, 11:45 PM
If you scroll down he lists things like "Inboard Marine Starter".

Oh I see it but doesnt list anything for Indmar Engines?

maxpower220
05-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Opening up the cover will allow the humidity from water inside the engine compartment to dissipate. I've noticed some of the same issues, and now do as yellow mobius does..... keep the engine cover open after use to dry it out.... Humidity sucks, when coupled with salt water, it only multiplies the problems.

There are also corrosion protection sprays that you should be using on your engine. Buy some and coat the engine (including the starter area) at least once per month. This will help in many areas.

The starter is one of the few moving parts with no paint to protect the steel. It is also located very close to any water that gets into the bilge. Salt mist, humidity, and heat all contribute to rust. If you aren't running your boat every few days, rust will destroy your starter quickly.