PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Outback not on AWSA list

Laz
01-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Hi. I noticed that the Outback is not on the 2010 "approved" list. Anyone know why? I get the feeling it won't matter much to anyone, I'm just curious. Probably some political reason.

The list is very short this year and only includes the CC 200, Malibu Response Lxi and two models of the MasterCraft ProStar.

jmvotto
01-12-2010, 02:12 PM
does that mean that won't be pulling skiers in the national tourneys???

deerfield
01-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Spoke today with Brandon Wolf at USA Water Ski. Per Brandon, the 2010 model year boats that are on the approved AWSA tournament towboat list are: Nautique 200 (open and closed bows, 5.7 and 6.0 engines), Malibu xli response (5.7 engine only), Prostar 190 (5.7 and 6.0 engines), and Prostar 197 (5.7 engine only). He said that once a boat is approved by AWSA it does not fall of the list. So, 2009 and prior year Outbacks remain approved for three-event towing at sanctioned tournaments. Per Barndon, manufacturers must pay a fee to USA Water Ski to cover cost of the test and license rights to use AWSA in its marketing of the towboat. The 2010 list of approved towboats will be posted on USA Water Skis web site in a few days.

deerfield
01-13-2010, 02:55 PM
So your saying that the few boats listed are new models or versions? Therefore the Outback with no changes is still approved and will show up on the main list later?

Sled - As to your first question, yes, the handful of boats specifically listed as 2010 AWSA approved tournament towboats are 2010 models. Moomba did not submit a 2010 model year for testing, therefore, its 2010 Outback, though it may be unchanged from 2009, does not appear on AWSA's 2010 model year list. With respect to the first part of your second question, that answer, too, is yes. Any Outback prior year model that was previously approved for tournament towing and on the AWSA list remains approved for tournament towing. The second part of your question I do not think I can answer with certainty. I think I found the "main list" to which you make reference. It is under "Approved Towboats History" on the USA Water Ski web site and includes: 93,97-99 Moomba Boomerang; 98-01 Moomba Kanga; 99 Moomba Mobius; 98-01,03-09 Moomba Outback; and 99-01 Moomba Outback LS. I would speculate that we will not see 2010 Outback ever appear on this list, even though the 2010 model (hull design, engine, and power train) is essentially unchanged from 2009. If I showed up at a tournament with a 2010 model, my guess is that it would be disqualified after the judges took a look at the VIN. I'm a bit out of my league here. If any of this is wrong, someone help me out. Thanks. - Deerfield

deerfield
01-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Here's the very boat that was used for the 2009 AWSA testing...

it's for sale at Watersports of Central Florida

http://www.orlandoboats.com/boatdisp.php?id=263

Ed - It sure will make a nice boat for a lucky buyer. Though included in the test boat, I do not regret taking a pass on the 340 engine. The 325 provides plenty of torque and so far has been bullet proof. But, I sure would like to have that Perfect Pass Digital Pro. Among its other advantages, it would relieve my sons of the additional task of watching speedos to adjust speed and let them focus on what's in front when pulling me. - Deerfield

Mikey
01-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Deerfield i'm like you except that i've since added the PP wakeboard pro and other than a blown module(since fixed) its the one of the most used and liked items in or on the boat. Definetely worth adding.

Laz
01-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Are Outbacks used in tournaments very often? I haven't seen one yet. However, I did see an Outback prominently displayed in the Edged in Water 2 video.

Laz

Hoopskier
01-14-2010, 04:22 AM
I don't know about 3 event tournaments. I did see 2 Outbacks being used in the WI State waterski show tournament. In the world of show skiing this is a large event, teams from all over WI, 23 teams. Teams that run multiple tow boats ranging from just inboards to just multi-engine outboards and a mix of the two. No I/Os! Outboard boats with up to 900 hp combined outboards (3x300hp).

It was neat to see the Moomba be represented in an area which is dominated by ski nautique, mastercraft and malibu. Interesting to see a these tow boats actually pull more than one skier at a time unlike your average weekend warriors, such as 5 slalom skiers doing a 360 round the boat (no tower clearly).

A great proving area that Moomba is on par with other manufacturer products in performance and durability.

This is a link to a complete video of the waterski show using a 09 Moomba Outback (blue/black) The video is about 60min.

http://www.waterski.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=124:water-bugs&catid=79&Itemid=73

kaneboats
01-14-2010, 12:26 PM
as the guy who was generous enough to have two Chicago Deep Dish Pizza's sent to me

Uh oh, Deerfield, I'm feeling a little sick.

deerfield
01-15-2010, 11:29 AM
I will cut you a super deal off the already ridiculously low price.

Ed - The purchase for this spring will be a barefoot boom. It's been on the radar but not in the budget the past two summers. The boys are eager to try footin'. And, as you probably know, boom is the way to go. Also, we find that some of their friends really struggle to get up on skis and wakeboards. I think the boom for those kids will help get them up and give them a sense of accomplishment. It's all about having fun and giving kids a day they will remember. So, I appreciate but need to pass on the very, very gracious PP offer. For now the boys will try to improve on the manual throttle touch while keeping a keen watch for any wayward watercraft. Best - Deerfield

deerfield
01-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Kaneboats and Sled - Tough for me to diagnose your respective conditions as you gave me no symptoms. Feeling ill or sick is a bit vague. Although, right at the top of my list is to ask if your behavior leading up to being under the weather included consumption of alcohol. By the way, I do know how to make people feel good. My wife calls me Dr. Love. - Deerfield

kaneboats
01-15-2010, 01:29 PM
I do know how to make people feel good. My wife calls me Dr. Love.

Uh, that's OK. Feeling better now. Maybe Sled needs some of your Love, Dr.

eseebeck
11-17-2010, 04:37 PM
I've never seen a moomba in tourneys here in the great state of michigan. I could have missed 'em though. Most of our tourneys are pulled with mc, cc, and malibu. one tourney site is owned by the cc dealer so mainly cc tow boats. another site is a mc club site, so mainly mc tows. the others generally have a mc, cc and malibu as they are promo boats with promo team skiers and cert. drivers.

I think if moomba started a promo prog. they might get more tournament exposure, but do they really need exp. thier boats rock !!

I can ski behind my outback and do fine in tourn. pulled by other brands.

Grant M
11-19-2010, 12:52 AM
I don't know about 3 event tournaments. I did see 2 Outbacks being used in the WI State waterski show tournament. In the world of show skiing this is a large event, teams from all over WI, 23 teams. Teams that run multiple tow boats ranging from just inboards to just multi-engine outboards and a mix of the two. No I/Os! Outboard boats with up to 900 hp combined outboards (3x300hp).

It was neat to see the Moomba be represented in an area which is dominated by ski nautique, mastercraft and malibu. Interesting to see a these tow boats actually pull more than one skier at a time unlike your average weekend warriors, such as 5 slalom skiers doing a 360 round the boat (no tower clearly).

A great proving area that Moomba is on par with other manufacturer products in performance and durability.

This is a link to a complete video of the waterski show using a 09 Moomba Outback (blue/black) The video is about 60min.

http://www.waterski.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=124:water-bugs&catid=79&Itemid=73

Thanks for the link, that was a pretty entertaing show!:D

BensonWdby
11-19-2010, 01:11 AM
In addition to the the requirements below, I thought I had heard that all tournament approved boats must have Zero-Off for speed control. But I can't find that requirement anywhere. The reaons I mention that is that my 1999 Mobius (basically an Outback) was AWSA approved, but I bet I could never pull a tournament becasue I have no speed control at all...

From USWSA web site:

Towboats approved for AWSA competitions in 2011 are: Centurion Carbon Pro, Malibu Response LXi, MasterCraft ProStar 190, MasterCraft ProStar 197, Ski Nautique 200 and Sport Nautique 200 (v-drive). Members of AWSA’s Towboat Committee, technical experts, drivers and top water ski athletes conducted this year's evaluations. Among the highlights this year, the Centurion Carbon Pro and Sport Nautique 200 are new towboats; the Ski Nautique 200 was tested with a new high output 6.0L engine; and MasterCraft tested with engines by a new manufacturer, Ilmor.

To have a boat evaluated, a manufacturer must be a USA Water Ski Gold Corporate Member, and a member of the American Water Ski Educational Foundation and Water Sports Industry Association.

Reese350
11-19-2010, 05:03 AM
Eseebeck,

Do you ski in the local slalom tournaments? It sounds like you might be talking about Jepawhit just north of Fenton. We go to almost all of the MI tournaments with my son. Would be great to meet you if you're there.

Scott