PDA

View Full Version : Making the best of a cold January

Sled491
01-10-2010, 10:01 AM
OK, we live in the Mid West, no secrets there, long cold winters here, no secret there also. I have a nice house on the lake, what do you do?

Forcast for this weekend was 0 at night high in the high teens low 20's. Minimal wind!

We have been having a blast! Plenty of visitors have been dropping by, lots of kids sledding down the hill in our back yard, everyone has gone skating out on the rink I made on the lake, my kids have burned through a few tanks of fuel on there snowmobiles, ice fishing (no bites yet :( ), I did a little snow shoeing, has just been a great relaxing weekend.

We must have gone through a face cord of wood so far in the fireplace! Hope my Diesel will start this afternoon?

No pics to post, but I'll try to get some this afternoon. Every one enjoy the weekend and try to make the best of this less than ideal watersports weather :D

Sled491
01-10-2010, 10:40 AM
Cooler damp air holds more oxygen, some of my best runs were in the rain, just felt like I could go forever. As I type it is -2 feels like -11 according to the national weather site.

polar21
01-10-2010, 10:52 PM
I went running last week in ~30 weather and it felt like my face was on fire. But you guys are correct, I could have ran 20 miles and it wouldnt have bothered me (I only ran 3). I have been running on a treadmill at the gym ever since!!!!lol

zabooda
01-11-2010, 03:42 AM
I have different things to keep me busy this time of year and all include outdoor activities. We don't get too much freezing temperatures around here so I go four wheelin' or motorcycle riding but for the last month it's been too cold for the motorcycle. The weather during an El Nino is fairly predictable with above freezing temperatures, lots of rain and cloudy skies. No matter where you live, you to adapt to the conditions and that is why I gave up skiing and I don't snowmobile as it is too far to travel (2 hours).

less than 40°F - Off road in the Jeep
greater than 40°F but less than 70°F - Off road dirt biking
greater than 70°F - Boating - Yeee Haaa