PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever removed ski pole?

polar21
01-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Just wondering if anyone has ever removed the ski pole in front of the motor on direct drive boats? If so, a couple of questions:

1. Any steps/input on how to remove it? I looked at the base and it appears that the base would stay in place, and the actual pole is held in position by 4 screws, almost like how you would mount a Christmas tree. On the bolts (they have a square head) there is a nut that appears to be a lock nut type of set up. Do I remove the bolt via the square head or do I loosen the nut or a combo of both?

2. When the pole is removed, what did you put in place of the hole in the floor? On my boat, the carpet is cut into a star pattern, so with the pole removed, i can pull the carpet back up to cover the whole, although I am going to need something underneath for support.

Any input is appreciated.

-DJ

polar21
01-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Ed,

In looking at the way the ski pole is mounted, it looks like I can put it back in with relative ease. As far as pulling a skier, we either wakeboard or pull mutlitple tubes (in which we use the tow eye at the rear of boat). If we ever pull a skier, we would just use the rear tow eye.

dru1974
01-09-2010, 04:23 PM
this seems to me to be a very silly idea, maybe you should look at another kind of boat. I mean these boats are purpose built.

DOCDRS
01-09-2010, 05:13 PM
The room you would get would be minimal. You would no longer have a place to clamp your barefoot boom to , or add a skylon tower for pole dancing. Or a place for your passenger to hang on to when your doing 180's at 45mph :)
always my fav (no I mean are you really holding on)

ian ashton
01-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Removing the ski pylon is the worst idea ever!

Hoopskier
01-09-2010, 06:01 PM
I've never looked into removing a ski pole/pylon. I'm sure they can be removed for replacement should it be damaged, from what you describe. I think removing a pylon from a ski boat is just bad Karma

moombadaze
01-09-2010, 06:25 PM
its just wrong to remove it

Mikey
01-09-2010, 06:54 PM
I agree don't do it. If your skiing from the back eye hook ya might as well be skiing behind a fishing boat or somehting else.

viking
01-09-2010, 07:38 PM
I'd have to concur with everyone above. Being an owner of a DD, the ski pole and the way the boat is manufactured is the main reason I own it. I'd say trader her in and make some skier a happy camper. Get into a boat that fits more your family needs!

gus 08 mobius lsv
01-09-2010, 07:50 PM
The room you would get would be minimal. You would no longer have a place to clamp your barefoot boom to , or add a skylon tower for pole dancing. Or a place for your passenger to hang on to when your doing 180's at 45mph :)
always my fav (no I mean are you really holding on)

this forum just keeps getting better...why didn't i think of the idea of pole dancing! i mean the sundeck acts as a stage for the ladies!

yearround
01-09-2010, 09:38 PM
If you want to remove the pole go ahead. I prefer to ski from it. But for many who don't ski, or the limited amount they do, the rear tow eye is fine. We have skied off the tower before as well. I don't think that an occasonal skier on combos is any more drag than a heavy wake boarder.

Keep the moomba I would never recomend changing boat just cuz you don't ski.

Let see how it looks and how you like it with out the pole. What are you going to put in the hole? Anything?

Thanks

maxpower220
01-09-2010, 11:39 PM
There should only be 4-5 bolts/nuts holding it in on your boat. The pole is wedge between two brackets that are connected to the stringers. Some poles have are centered from the bottom in a manner that means the pole will only move upward once the bolts are removed/loosened.
The difficulty it getting to those bolts. I had a MasterCraft that had a loose pole when I bought it, it was very easy to staighten and tighten, just hard to get to the bolts.

viking
01-10-2010, 01:13 AM
If you want to remove the pole go ahead. I prefer to ski from it. But for many who don't ski, or the limited amount they do, the rear tow eye is fine. We have skied off the tower before as well. I don't think that an occasonal skier on combos is any more drag than a heavy wake boarder.

Keep the moomba I would never recomend changing boat just cuz you don't ski.

Let see how it looks and how you like it with out the pole. What are you going to put in the hole? Anything?

Thanks

You must have Missunderstood me! I didn't say "get rid of the Moomba". Let me clarify! Look at something like and LSV or Outback V and stay in the SC family................

Actually, everybody has their own oppinion and each family has their own needs. Pole or no pole - you can always re-install it at a later time.

You could always check out the thread here about BBQ's on boats. Hey - maybe somebody could rig up a new fandangled BBQ and patent it for the DD :)

mmandley
01-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Just wondering if anyone has ever removed the ski pole in front of the motor on direct drive boats? If so, a couple of questions:

1. Any steps/input on how to remove it? I looked at the base and it appears that the base would stay in place, and the actual pole is held in position by 4 screws, almost like how you would mount a Christmas tree. On the bolts (they have a square head) there is a nut that appears to be a lock nut type of set up. Do I remove the bolt via the square head or do I loosen the nut or a combo of both?

2. When the pole is removed, what did you put in place of the hole in the floor? On my boat, the carpet is cut into a star pattern, so with the pole removed, i can pull the carpet back up to cover the whole, although I am going to need something underneath for support.

-DJ

You might look into getting a small peace of aluminum and cut it to fit that hole. Then drill a small whole in it and with a string or something threw it, this would act as a handle. Then put 3m tape on the top of it so the carpet stays in place. Then if you decide to replace the pole pop it out and install the pole again. If not then nothing to stub a toe on and it will look like a factory ski pole hole filler plate.

polar21
01-11-2010, 01:12 PM
After reading some of these responses you would think I would have typed "is it a good idea to go and slap the mother-in-law?" LOL If it was a difficult job that was irreversible, I wouldnt do it. However, like I said, it appears (as it has been described here) that the pole is inserted into the bracket that is tied into the stringers. So, if I remove the pole, the bracket and support structure will still be there so it can easily be reinstalled.

As for the people suggesting that I get a more specific boat for my needs......its always easier spending someone else's money. haha

Thanks for the replies, at least its been a good read.

Hoopskier
01-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Polar, as an avid skier my preference is the pole. I understand why you might want to remove it. I would never change boats thought. Like you said its easy to spend other peoples money.

Like stated, you something flat to cover the hole. Maybe you could use something like the right diameter pipe glued to something flat to cover your hole. The pipe would keep if from sliding around. Don't use something to thick other wise you may stub you toes. It really depends on what materials you are comfortable working with or have tool for such as plastic, wood, or aluminum.

For a finishing touch, cover with carpet for a completed look. I like the idea to a string pull to pick up or just a small finger hole would work to. If you do remove, take some pictures. Before and After. It would give the rest of us nay sayers an idea what it looks like without the pole.

maxpower220
01-11-2010, 10:28 PM
However, like I said, it appears (as it has been described here) that the pole is inserted into the bracket that is tied into the stringers. So, if I remove the pole, the bracket and support structure will still be there so it can easily be reinstalled.

The brackets between the stringers will stay (unless you unbolt them from the stringers {not recommended}) in place. There may be a few bolts (probably U-bolts) and nuts that will need to be removed. Keep them in the same place as the pole.

As other have said, you may want to cover the hole. I would try to find a small pipe (PVC or galvanized) and cut it to size. Put it in the hole where the ski pole goes. Cut is 1/2" shorter than you need, glue a top (wood or kitchen cutting board) on it so that it is flush to the carpet/floor height, and then bolt it in like the ski pole. It would be fast, cheap and easy to do. No need for strings or such. Let me know if you need a hand.

bamaspiveys
01-11-2010, 11:13 PM

-DJ

The one question no one asked, is why would you want to remove it? I think maxpower has given you the right way to remove it and yea it can be added back easily enough, and it is your boat, so knock yourself out.....

I would still like to know why?

If it wasn't for my barefoot boom, I don't need mine either but I never thought about taking one out.