PDA

View Full Version : wakeboarder mag-what a disappointment

sandm
01-07-2010, 07:15 PM
just received my new issue of wakeboarder with the boat buyers guide in it and what a huge letdown. I have looked forward to this issue since first finding this mag back in '07 when it was still a separate issue dedicated to only boats and previewing all of them. now we are down to just 22? and have you noticed the pics?
mastercraft x55, same pics as last year and the only mastercraft in the mag. glad they got rid of the maristars and the csx(good move), but no x-star???
mb b52, exact same boat shots as last year.
moomba outback v looks like a mirror shot of last year with some poor photochopping done on the color and a stripe on the guys sleeve driving, wake is the same shot.
mobius lsv looks like the same boat just a different angle from ly shoot.
sante 210 in it 2x with same boat, just one is a limited edition?

as a mag that calls this issue the buyers guilde, where's centurion? gekko? epic? sanger? calabria?
I would guess that this is a form of paid advertising, but you would think everyone would want to play, or at least have new/best of the best boat pics..
very poor showing imo from a mag that should be dedicated to the wakeboard boat. I realize that times are tough for the print media, but here's one more example of how an industry(print media) is shooting itself in the foot.....
will be very disappointing bathroom reading for the next year, and will be real hard to check the renewal box this summer...

ok end of rant...

snowboardcorey
01-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Agreed about the poor content, stock photos and lack of any real product testing. If wakeboard and waterski mag want companies to pay to play they should up the content level. There is nothing in the mag that can't be found online in a 2 minute search.

I know MC decided to allocate marketing dollars into their own brochures, DVD, the pro tour and a new hull for this year.

rmckenney
01-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Agreed...As a subscriber to Wakeboarding Magazine I was looking forward to this issue and was really let down to see only 22 boats reviewed. Interestingly only 2 of the boats appeared to be new for 2010 - and even that's a stretch because the Axis A22 debut in 2008 but Wakeboarding Magazine didn't cover it in 2009.

They should review other manufacturers that haven't experienced as much coverage: Wakecraft, Svfara, and even Canada's Liquid Ride. Also, agreed with the horrible photo coverage of Moomba.

kaneboats
01-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Just got a boat show e-mail from MC listing rebates that go all the way back to new 2007 models. I suspect they are sitting on some unsold inventory.

jbheuerman
01-08-2010, 02:06 PM
I totally agree...I didn't have last years issue to compare...but as I was looking through it...it really seemed like deja vu. For a buyer's guide, it was not well prepared.

01-08-2010, 10:36 PM
AGREED 100%. For the last few years, it has been my favorite issue of the year and I still have them from past years and there is no comparisson in detail and work that has gone into production. Heck 2 years ago the XLV was listed as a "Core"wakeboat which helped influence me to buy one and this year it isn't even listed.

I got mine in the mail yesterday and I've already read it all because so much is a repeat from last year as mentioned above and there are only 22 boats. It just seemed like an overall lack of effort.

WaterBullDawg1980
01-09-2010, 11:45 AM
MAN! I am not a subscriber, but if I were, a letter to a decision maker would be in order. If what you all are saying is true, that is simply unacceptable and they should be ashamed about issuing such a poor quality product.

iwakeboard
01-10-2010, 12:12 AM
I've not received the new one yet but that's disappointing. I still have the Boat Buyers Guide from last year as bathroom-reading material. It has Byerly on the cover with his new Nautique, I talked to him about it at the Knoxville Boat Show and he said the shot was just outside of his house. He said, "I get to see that sunset everyday, makes it hard to go inside!" Was a great guy to talk to, ended up spending over an hour talking to him. I digress, anyways, I look forward to the magazine still but haven't even seen the cover yet.

viking
01-10-2010, 01:17 AM
thanks for the heads-up. I'll save my money!!

04OUTBACK
01-10-2010, 09:04 AM
i think cutbacks in th marine world have really hit home..
I am pretty sure Mfg's pay for that space.. why pay for the same boat you had in last year... Not many new products this year.. hulll's are expensive to build and real tough to build new hulls when sales are way down.

I subscribe for the whole year not just this issue, but it is obvious that the cost cutting went too far.
They should have at least offered a comprehensive listing without photos listing details of each MFG's complete lineup for comparison..

Sled491
01-10-2010, 09:55 AM
I agree with all. But even last years reviews by Water Ski Magazine were generic at best. Go online and watch there review video, it's the same script for every boat and although the editor uses different words they all mean the same thing :(

iwakeboard
01-10-2010, 03:28 PM
The problem with Wakeboarding Magazine, and with any magazine that surrounds a niche industry, is that it's not objective. Every boat buyers guide has an agenda, which is why half of the magazine is advertisements. Don't get me wrong, I understand that everyone has to make money though. If only all TV shows were like Top Gear on the BBC, where it is paid for by the BBC with public revenue and not car manufacturer dollars like TV shows here in the states.

dru1974
01-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I love that show

iwakeboard
01-11-2010, 11:21 AM
I love that show

Best show on television in my opinion.

sandm
01-11-2010, 01:32 PM
you make some valid points and shows the demise of the specialty mag industry as more and more quit printing. I know that all the info can be found online and that is the direction more mags are pushing people to go to as a cost reduction, but I don't have an ethernet port next to the toilet :)

wolfeman131
01-11-2010, 02:47 PM
I don't have an ethernet port next to the toilet :)

time to install a wireless router? :)

kaneboats
01-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Remind me not to ever borrow your laptop.

moombadaze
01-11-2010, 08:00 PM
But i will bring the notebook next trip-sits on the knees beter:rolleyes: