PDA

View Full Version : winter sports

flex
01-06-2010, 04:01 PM
any snowboarders or snow skiers out there? if so, where do plan on going this year?

i went to breckenridge in december and there was no snow. nothing like boarding over rocks. got to watch the dew tour, but the big names were not there.

next trip is to steamboat for mardi gras; that's the day after presidents day for the those that live up north.

snowboardcorey
01-06-2010, 04:33 PM
My wife and I usually head out west boarding. We just had a baby so no trips this year.

Steamboat is AWESOME, I've had some of the best pow days ever there, it can get pretty full of moguls if they don't get snow but they always get snow.

snowboardcorey
01-06-2010, 06:31 PM
This was one of our best trips. Jones Pass Colorado via a snowcat!

RobertJ
01-06-2010, 08:07 PM
We will head up to the mountains, 90 miles, about three or four times this year. I also enjoy riding my bike (pedal) during the winter.

jmvotto
01-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Cory, my buddies are cat skiing again late january in steamboat, schedule conflicts:mad:

went cat skiing in pc utah couple years back, awesome.

Tahoe, summit County Co and salt lake are my favs out west. killington, stowe and Jay peak in the east.

04OUTBACK
01-06-2010, 09:52 PM
learning to snowboard... PAINFULLY.
Went back to ski's last weekend.. gonna snowboard tomorrow night.

I'm not far from JMVOTTO and we have a few ski places around close by..
Trying to cover my wake fix on the snow..

lake started icing good this week..thin ice and thick snow cover right now...

Sled491
01-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Some of my buddies from back home go every year end of Nov beginning of Dec for 2 weeks to Colorado. They said this year like Nov 28th or something they were sitting out in there shorts in 80 degree weather. Same complaint as was mentioned, little snow.

I used to ski 3 to 4 times a week. I now live just minutes from Alpine Valley and could ski for almost free, but a couple years after I moved here I just grew board of the short runs and no terrain.

Now we ride! Go on at least 3 to 4 trips a year and can ride from my back yard. Of course this has a bunch to do with being a former pro rider I think :D

Ian Brantford
01-07-2010, 10:49 AM

You can check out the many instructional videos on Youtube for various opinions about how to get started. It's much better to wait for 4+ inches of fresh powder. It will make control easier, keep you from going too fast, and make the falls a lot softer than packed powder.

brain_rinse
01-07-2010, 12:08 PM
I love snowboarding almost as much as wakeboarding. Trying to ride switch as much as I can this winter since that translates well to wakeboarding. Landing jumps is good practice too, and the rails and boxes are just like the cable park.

New Guy
01-07-2010, 12:18 PM
I try to get out skiing a couple times a year but like Sled said the terrain in the midwest gets old. We are heading up to Mt.Bohemia in MI that is suppose to be some of the best back country out here.

Sled what series did you ride with? I ran with USSA in 07 for grins but I had some friends that were pretty into it. I really enjoyed hillcross the wide open no endurance was great.

gus 08 mobius lsv
01-07-2010, 12:23 PM

I'm not far from JMVOTTO and we have a few ski places around close by..
Trying to cover my wake fix on the snow..

lake started icing good this week..thin ice and thick snow cover right now...

how far from jmvotto and you is peak and peak? where else you go in ny? were always looking for some new places within driving distance for little weekend stays

deerfield
01-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Sled what series did you ride with? I ran with USSA in 07 for grins but I had some friends that were pretty into it. I really enjoyed hillcross the wide open no endurance was great.

New Guy - If not done so already, check out the album on Sled's profile. Lots of sled pictures. - Deerfield

Sled491
01-07-2010, 02:15 PM
New Guy, I ran the WSA Nationals 02 to 05. When not traveling we did local club races and of course the few regionals they would schedule as well. Also did the Eagle River championships one year. Before going national I ran local club races and WSA Regionals for 3 or 4 years.

polar21
01-07-2010, 03:34 PM
We generally make it out to Colorado once every couple of years. We have been to Beaver Creek, Winter Park, and the A-basin. The A-basin was the best bang for the buck, but Winter Park is a good place for the 'boarders. Beaver Creek is geared more toward the skiing side. Looking to go back out there next year some time.

Talking about PAIN trying to learn how to snowboard, my wife tried to kill me the last time we went to CO and I tried to teach her how to snowboard.

flex
01-07-2010, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=04OUTBACK;82310]learning to snowboard... PAINFULLY.

i've never skied. but i will say the first trip snowboarding was painfull; physically for me and for anyone watching.

i highly recommend taking a lesseon. it's money well spent to learn the basics.

Northofthe49th
01-12-2010, 08:31 PM
The first one is at Big White in BC the second one is the Peak to Peak Gondola at Whislter/Blackcomb

Sled491
01-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Love Whistler, many of my friends from Thunder Bay have moved there over the years.

Northofthe49th
01-12-2010, 08:47 PM
Heres another from the top of Big White

Northofthe49th
01-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Hey Sled the new Peak to Peak is the bomb you can cover both mountains easy now
Its about 10 mins from peak to peak with spectacular views

Sled491
01-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Sounds incredible. I think I need to get back there some time soon. My Parents used to have a place at Panarama. We used to go to a race camp every spring at Lake Louis and attended numerous World cup DH's at Sunshine. Even got to run the womens course on year.

GeauxTigers
01-13-2010, 01:07 PM
I had a few days off between Christmas and New Years. The whole family went up 3 different times to Snowbird, Brighton and Solitude. We had a blast each time we went, however, the snowfall has been weak in the past two weeks. Today, we are forecasted for a high of 40 degrees. That's almost wakeboarding weather!!

Northofthe49th
01-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Yeah I hear ya
We got the Olympics coming and the Pineapple Express just hit the west coast (weather system from Hawaii) up around 58 one day while florida was shoveling

Break out the wakeboards and the waterskis for the slopes LOL