PDA

View Full Version : Winter Winter Winter

jbheuerman
01-05-2010, 02:02 PM
So it was 3 degrees this morning on my way into work, with a slight wind out of the north, making the windchill around -12. The only thing I could think about was grabbing my boat out of storage and heading south. Anybody know of any decent lakes that are still skiable...and not solid ice?? (besides in Mexico)...probably won't happen this year, but next winter will be a good possibility to travel south for a week or so....can't wait till April!!

deerfield
01-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Anybody know of any decent lakes that are still skiable...and not solid ice?? (besides in Mexico)

Hey, JB - How about Lake Springfield near the power plant? Just up the road from you. I hear discharge keeps the water warm. Or maybe that applies only to nuclear plants. - Deerfield

zabooda
01-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Columbia and the Snake Rivers are ice free but I don't see anybody but salmon fisherman out. The wind surfers are out on the Columbia River towards Portland and many of them surf all year long. I documented the water temperatures for 10 years and found things don't change much from year to year. Water temps would be around 37 degrees right now.

jbheuerman
01-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Deerfield - Haha....I would hate to see the air temp riding around up there....I think I'll stick to further south....way south!

jimmobius
01-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Arizona is good in October.

Sled491
01-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Was in Canada for much of the winter break. Was -5 Cel for the first few days then dropped to -38 c which is about -34 Far. Lets just say the ole diesel didn't like that very much!

I would just hop on a plane and head to skiers paradise in Mexico:)

jmvotto
01-06-2010, 01:03 PM
going skiing Saturday , Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow......:D

kaneboats
01-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Come on down. I'll hang with you. Below about 60 I don't get wet though. Can still drive and carry the cooler though. Used to drive through Effingham all the time on the way down to Carbondale.