PDA

View Full Version : X5 or Mobius LSV

New Guy
12-23-2009, 10:54 AM
Alright guys I'm looking at a couple boats and I need help.

The first is a 2002 Moomba Mobius LSV with 600hrs on it.
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/boa/1518189866.html

The only defect is a tear on the rear sun deck.

The second is a Mastercraft X5.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130352832289&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNA%3AUS%3A1123

Both of them are priced at $15000

The only reason that I am considering the Mastercraft is because of resale. I want a V-Drive but for that price the mastercraft is looking nice. I don't know much about the X5 besides that it is a crossover boat.

Thanks,
Mark

you da man
12-23-2009, 11:33 AM
I personally hate direct drive because it always feels like the engine is in the way

Razzman
12-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Ok New Guy here's my thoughts on this. First off if you want a Vdrive then get a Vdrive because if you don't then you'll regret it right away. And as far as resale goes that's pretty much crap and here's why. You constantly hear how MC this or Nautique that holds resale better down the road. Yeah they have a higher resale because they cost more initially! MC's in that era were also notorius for having issues, Moomba weren't. MC, Nautique & BU owners for some reason also think their boats are worth more because of branding, could never figure that one out. And remember this, a dd boat is harder to sell than a vdrive.

Now look at the two boats your looking at, ones a Vdrive in nice shape and the other is a DD that looks to trashed a bit. Your getting twice the room with the Moomba and a family boat to boot to include full bow seating, did you notice the MC's bow seating? Storage will be tripled in the Moomba.

I grew up and started with direct drives boats but once i went to a Vdrive i'll never go backwards again. Besides the obvious advantages with seating and storage, the vdrive will produce a better wake for boarding or surfing.

So it's up to you, the better boat in this case or the privelage of saying you own an MC?

moombadaze
12-23-2009, 12:03 PM
I have a direct drive mastercraft and now am on my 2nd vdrive Moomba. Both are great boats, however with have a family the v-drive would be my choice. As for resale--the vdrive should/would be easier to sell later on. Take your family and go sit in both.

Just looked at the pictures and the x5 looks rough and smaller that I thought--thats really just a ski boat with tower on it--nothing wrong with that either, Lsv looks nice-same hull i had and loved that boat--tons and tons more storage than the x5-you can never have enough storage.

jimlsv
12-23-2009, 12:04 PM
I had an X5 before i purchased a new 2006 lsv.The x5 is a great boat but cramped.The lsv is better layout more room etc. If you dont have more then 4 people on x5 its fine, any more then that it is cramped.The bow on x5 is small. The hours on the lsv scare me for resale.If you use the boat for a couple of years add about 150-200 hours to current hours.I know these boats go 1500 hours,but i think the x5 is a better value.You will have zero depreciation on the Mc.It is good boat small but more value in my opinion.

zabooda
12-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Great time to buy. I don't understand why MC DD has a sun deck also as that would really reduce the room. I hate V drives because they have the I/O look and I water ski so they're useless for anyone above a novice. When I bought my boat used in 2002, the age difference between a comparible Moomba and MC/Malibu price wise was about five years but Moomba has been holding its value better now.

New Guy
12-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

I mainly wakeboard with some skiing so the vdrive it is. Is $15000 a fair price for it? I contacted the lady and the company that did the winterization and everything checked out good. So now we are just working on price.

Razzman
12-23-2009, 01:05 PM
jimlsv i have to agree to disagree that the MC is a better value resale or not. Retail in 2001 was about $40K for that boat. The Moomba retailed for about $32K so apples to apples the Moomba has retained roughly 48% of it's original vaule while the MC has retained roughly 37.5% of original value. Based on that figure the Moomba will be worth more.

Nada puts a rough value of $18,200-20,800 on the Moomba while the MC is valued at &15,300-17,500. The Moomba has upgraded ballast and a tandem trailer while the MC has neither. The Moomba is a 21' boat while the X5 is 20'.

My last boat i sold in 1 week with 900+ hours on it and it still purrs with over 1200 now. Hours mean nothing as long as the boat was taken care of. 600 hours equates to 75 hours a year which is normal. I've known many people that have bought low hour, 8-12 year old boats and have had issues because the boats were not used. Seals dry out, the injectors or carbs are varnished, hoses and belts crack amongst other issues. The worst is sitting oil that starts to gum up everything, especially the trans. I'd be more inclined to call BS on the X5 at 42 hours a year with the condition it's in.

jimmobius
12-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Ok, the moomba lsv has a great wake for wake boarding , surfing, air chair , and not the flattest wake for slaloming. If the lsv you are looking at has a wake plate , great it is another tool for wake adjustment. Perfect pass is another outstanding feature I will not live without in another boat ever again. You get a great pull every time you ride . If the lsv doesn't have the ballast system you can have one installed or do it yourself , it does work well with wake size and shape. If you do decide to get the lsv, lake test it . I lake tested mine in February here in Colorado and you will get a good feel for the boat. My friend has a mc pro 205 , great wake for slalom skiing, trick skiing and air chair riding . Not a big wake for wake boarding or surfing without adding ballast and even then it is no comparison to the lsv. If I had both boats available for a week ( lake Powell houseboat trip) I would be in the lsv almost all the time, which is what we did the last trip !! My input on the two choices .Just have the boat you decide to get looked at by the dealer and lake test it if possible.
Jim.

maxpower220
12-23-2009, 05:24 PM
First, the X5 is a ski boat. It evolved from the Sportstar Open bow boat that MC had as an"entry level" boat from 98-99. MC added another gel coat color and called it the 195 (it's 19'6"), added a tower, graphics, and ballast and called it the X5. The boat hull is the 92-96 Prostar hull. In 02, the 195/X5 was redesigned as the 197/X7.
I owned a 99 MC Sportstar OB for 7 years (bought it for $20K and sold it for $18.5K). It is an excellent ski boat: light, narrow, powerful, and great tracking. It could wakeboard, but it will only make a wake so big. If you want to ski, this is a great boat.
If you board mostly or have a lot of people in the boat, the LSV will make you a much better boat.

JesseC
12-23-2009, 11:17 PM
I love my 02 Mobius LSV and would not trade it for the world!!! Well maybe if the factory offered me a new one, I would give it serious thought :)

My boat has been nothing but a complete joy to me and with my upgraded ballast will out perform my wakeboard abilities for a good while.