PDA

View Full Version : Ballast - 750lb bag upgrade

aaroncat
12-23-2009, 04:03 AM
Gday guys.

My wife and I picked up an 09 Outback V with the 1200lb G3 ballast a couple of weeks ago. I've read a bunch of threads on here which make reference to 750lb rear locker bags and was wondering if it is a simple replacement for the stock 400lb bags. Does anyone know if it is plug and play?

Should I be looking at the W707 bag listed here (http://fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighSacs.html)?

Cheers,
Aaron

moombadaze
12-23-2009, 08:11 AM
one of the most simple upgrades you can do, plug and play so to speak.

mmandley
12-23-2009, 01:35 PM
You will need to do some slight modifications but nothing major.

Mainly jsut a little hose relocation to allow filling and draining. You will understand once you see the bags and the size difference. I havnt installed mine but will be doing that soon.

Theres enough others with the 750s they can say exactly what they did to accomidate the new larger bags.

They are a drop in replacement.

Just a tip when you buy the new bags, get new fill and drain fittings for them. The factory bags have the fitting heat glued on and are a real pain to remove.

Theres a few threads about that.

mmandley
12-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Gday guys.

My wife and I picked up an 09 Outback V with the 1200lb G3 ballast a couple of weeks ago. I've read a bunch of threads on here which make reference to 750lb rear locker bags and was wondering if it is a simple replacement for the stock 400lb bags. Does anyone know if it is plug and play?

Should I be looking at the W707 bag listed here (http://fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighSacs.html)?

Cheers,
Aaron

Looks like the ones, when i get home ill look on my box and see what mine are they are Fat Sacs as well.

aaroncat
12-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks guys, good info.

Couple of other questions on this topic:

1. What are people using for portable pumps? That is, how does one fill a portable ballast bag (for moving around when switching surf sides etc). Is the tsunami pump here (http://fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighSacs.html#19) supposed to be used as a fixed pump or portable (or both)? Is it as simple as connect the pump to a fitting and throw the hose into the water?

2. I am a tad confused from what I have read (and seen on my stock G3 bags) regarding the 3 fittings on the bags. I see 3 fittings, 1 for fill, 1 for drain and a 3rd that has a cap screwed onto it (no hose connected to it). What is the go with this 3rd fitting? From the forums I have picked up that in 2009 the ballast system was improved but not really sure how.

3. How do you empty the portable sac's after they are full? Are the portable pumps capable of pumping the water back out? Do you simply switch the hose around so the pump is hanging over the edge of your boat and the hose that was sucking water in from the water is now attached to the bag?

cab13367
12-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys, good info.

Couple of other questions on this topic:

1. What are people using for portable pumps? That is, how does one fill a portable ballast bag (for moving around when switching surf sides etc). Is the tsunami pump here (http://fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighSacs.html#19) supposed to be used as a fixed pump or portable (or both)? Is it as simple as connect the pump to a fitting and throw the hose into the water?

2. I am a tad confused from what I have read (and seen on my stock G3 bags) regarding the 3 fittings on the bags. I see 3 fittings, 1 for fill, 1 for drain and a 3rd that has a cap screwed onto it (no hose connected to it). What is the go with this 3rd fitting? From the forums I have picked up that in 2009 the ballast system was improved but not really sure how.

3. How do you empty the portable sac's after they are full? Are the portable pumps capable of pumping the water back out? Do you simply switch the hose around so the pump is hanging over the edge of your boat and the hose that was sucking water in from the water is now attached to the bag?

aaron,

Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forum. The Tusnami pump that you provided a link to is the standard way to fill portable bags. You plug the power cord into the cigarette lighter and throw the pump overboard to fill. To empty, you attach the pump end to the bag, and throw the hose end overboard. You have to push down on the pump constantly to make sure it is drawing water from the bag and not air.

The third hole in the sac is a vent. You wil sometimes get air in the bag so this allows you to get the air out. On some boats (not Moombas), there is a line connected to this third fitting that connects to the evac line.

In 2009, Moomba went to Jabsco reversible pumps on the ballast system - there is now one pump per bag that both fills and emptied each sac. Before 2009, there was one fill pump that went into a manifold with three solenoid activated valves which controlled which bag the water went thru. Each bag then had it's own empty evac pump.

The 750 is a plug and play upgrade but as other have mentioned, be sure to buy the appropriate quick connect fittings and caps for the bags as I don't think they come with any.

Hope that helps.

Al

aaroncat
12-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Sweet Al, thanks for those answers, much appreciated! I have seen a bunch of your threads including the one for the "walk thru transom". That is brilliant and I am seriously contemplating doing it over winter.

aaroncat
12-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks Ed. So you are confident that with the 750lb rear locker upgrade only that the surf is adequate? Not that I don't trust you but Im excited to see if you have any photos/videos of your surf wake, being that it will be the same setup as what I will have. :D

moombadaze
12-24-2009, 08:46 PM
I have seen Ed's boat in action and that 750lb in the rear surf side does put out a good wave.

aaroncat
12-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks Ed. Not too shabby for the stock G3 bags :D

Razzman
12-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Aaron you'll get plaenty of wave outta the 750. Here's a couple of shots on mine a friend just sent me from the last trip, surfed 'till dark (kinda burry) but you get the idea, just add a few peeps and you have plenty.

aaroncat
12-28-2009, 10:27 PM
noice Razz!

DOCDRS
12-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Sweet pics Razz......always nice to see our babies in action...:)

you da man
12-28-2009, 10:53 PM
I can't wait until I can get my new girlfriend behind the boat. She's from Florida and said she has wakeboarded a few times.

jasonwm
01-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Just in case anyone else is thinking about doing this, I wanted to clarify a couple of points:

2002-2008 boats: You will need to reroute your fill line when installing Fat Sacs as the new bags are taller than the old ones, and the fill hose connects to the top.

2009+ boats: Your fill/drain hose connects to the bottom of the bag, which is in the same place regardless of the size, so you do not need to worry about extending or rerouting the hoses at all.

A 750 alone performs well in the new Outback, but some extra weight up front will really help clean up the wake and elongate the pocket.

viking
01-29-2010, 12:04 AM
Razz,
Nice pics.........thanx for sharing :)

kaneboats
01-29-2010, 12:43 AM
I can't wait until I can get my new girlfriend behind the boat

Allright, fellas, let's watch the language.

aaroncat
01-29-2010, 12:44 AM
Allright, fellas, let's watch the language.

HA HA HA :p

morgan040
02-11-2010, 01:39 AM
Just in case anyone else is thinking about doing this, I wanted to clarify a couple of points:

2002-2008 boats: You will need to reroute your fill line when installing Fat Sacs as the new bags are taller than the old ones, and the fill hose connects to the top.

2009+ boats: Your fill/drain hose connects to the bottom of the bag, which is in the same place regardless of the size, so you do not need to worry about extending or rerouting the hoses at all.

A 750 alone performs well in the new Outback, but some extra weight up front will really help clean up the wake and elongate the pocket.

I have the 05 outback V and just purchased the 750lb sacs for the rear and the Gravity games 1180lbs sac for the front . Does anyone have any more info on how to "reroute" the fill hoses in the rear for the new larger 750 lbs sacs. Pics would be great? Do I need to buy new longer ones or just "reroute" the oem ones?

Thanks

Raylsv
07-27-2021, 01:13 AM
aaron,

Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forum. The Tusnami pump that you provided a link to is the standard way to fill portable bags. You plug the power cord into the cigarette lighter and throw the pump overboard to fill. To empty, you attach the pump end to the bag, and throw the hose end overboard. You have to push down on the pump constantly to make sure it is drawing water from the bag and not air.

The third hole in the sac is a vent. You wil sometimes get air in the bag so this allows you to get the air out. On some boats (not Moombas), there is a line connected to this third fitting that connects to the evac line.

In 2009, Moomba went to Jabsco reversible pumps on the ballast system - there is now one pump per bag that both fills and emptied each sac. Before 2009, there was one fill pump that went into a manifold with three solenoid activated valves which controlled which bag the water went thru. Each bag then had it's own empty evac pump.

The 750 is a plug and play upgrade but as other have mentioned, be sure to buy the appropriate quick connect fittings and caps for the bags as I don't think they come with any.

Hope that helps.

Al

aaron,

Hope that helps.

Al

Hi Al, i hope it's ok that im reviving this thread. im a new member and a new Moomba owner. Its a 2011 LSV but pretty much new given it only had 35 hrs on it!
Took it out with my 2 kids and if course, my oldest son was complaining about the wave not being good enough to give him that push. Of course it will help if we have more people in the boat.

Ok, this is my first post and please be patient. Im a car guy and 100% new to lake life. This is my first boat. Im planning to upgrade the 2 rear ballasts to 750lb fatsacs.

From what i understand, this LSV has 1200 lbs aleady. The sac in the front (right beside the drivers seat) does not look like it can hold 400lbs. Its skinny. How does this boat come with 1200lbs of ballast? 400 in each of the 2 rear and 400 in the front/middle?? It almost seems like 400 in each of the rear and 200 in the front.

Anyways, its not enough if i just have my 2 kids. So is it safe to assume that if i upgrade the 2 rear to 750lbs each and leave everything else the same, is this sufficient? Is it 400lb in the front stock?

And my next question which was the main reason of this post, Al, you mentioned that although this upgrade is a plug and play, you will need quick release connectors. Can you tell me if the link below is the connector that i need and if so, how many of these?

Thanks in advance. Again, my knowledge about wake surf boats is quite minimal but learning quickly.

This is the bag: https://martinmotorsports-store.ca/products/fatsac-750-lbs?currency=CAD&variant=19635040125024&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&utm_campaign=gs-2018-09-18&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhrCunNeB8gIVU4JbCh1F6AGZEAQYASAB EgKrb_D_BwE

This is the connector: https://martinmotorsports-store.ca/products/fatsac-flow-rite-3-4-straight-quick-connect-socket

Thanks.

Holdmybeer
07-27-2021, 08:24 AM
Quick look at Wakemakers.com and you can fit 910lbs bags in your LSV. You will need some added bow weight once you do this, and some suck gate device I assume you already have.

Good luck and congrats on the new boat. Any pictures?

Leebo
07-27-2021, 05:55 PM
HMB is right - you should consider more than 750lbs (and will need bow weight). As I understand it, this thread is for what will fit in an OBV. But you have an LSV and can fit 1100s. You’ll probably want a new prop too (yup, adds up fast!)

I started w 750s in my LSV and it works great if you’ve got a bunch of human ballast. When I upgraded to the 1100s, stuck the stock bags under the seats, and added an IBS (650lbs under the bow seats), my wave was awesome with no crew.

Of course I needed another prop too (I kept the 1433 as a weekend saver but now have two 2315s so the 1433 is listed in the classifieds). Oh and don’t forget the strengthening ribs for the panel divider to the engine.

As far as the direct answer to your question, that looks like the right elbow for the quick-connect, but I think you also need the one for the bag. I *think* you want the “Male Fly High Bag Fittings W743”.

Welcome to the forums, and I’m assuming you made yourself a suck-gate!!!

bergermaister
07-28-2021, 01:16 AM
Wow - holy thread revival but welcome to the forum. Nice find on your low hour boat. Al Cab hasn't been very active for quote some time on here, but there are a lot of other guys here willing to help.

Get in touch with the guys at WakeMakers as suggested. They have been long time members on the forum and great people all around. Used to be local to me so I've met several of them personally. Awesome bunch.

Raylsv
07-29-2021, 10:35 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the quick responses. As you most likely know, pretty much everything boat related is sold out or close to sold out. All i could get my hands on quickly were the 750lbs fatsacs. looks like I'll have to go through that rite of passage and continue the upgrade process over time. Lol. I did get a suck gate and it was the last one. Now they're sold out, well, at least locally. Hope to try this set up this weekend.

Here's a pic of my moomba. Never thought id like yellow, but this sure looks nice in person. But my daughter wants me to splatter it with some glitter. Oh lord, where does it end.

Raylsv
07-29-2021, 10:42 AM
And i know i should start a new post for this next question or prob search for it as its most likely been answered, but as you can see, i have the V2 tower and the board racks dont swivel. Total PITA when trying to park on lift.

Will this swivel rack fit on my tower?

https://www.reborntower.com/wakeboard-rack/169

Holdmybeer
07-29-2021, 11:22 AM
And i know i should start a new post for this next question or prob search for it as its most likely been answered, but as you can see, i have the V2 tower and the board racks dont swivel. Total PITA when trying to park on lift.

Will this swivel rack fit on my tower?

https://www.reborntower.com/wakeboard-rack/169

Should work. Illusion X tower and V2 are almost the same. The rack mounts are the same.

https://samsonsports.com/product/malibu-illusion-x-boardracks/ <----another place to look at

Raylsv
07-30-2021, 01:45 AM
Thanks. I went with the reborntower rack. Hope it comes in before the summer is over :)