PDA

View Full Version : tower speakers

badasshybrid
12-21-2009, 09:29 PM
I am looking to put a nice system in my boat and ran across a good deal on some Bazooka tower speakers. Has anyone used these on their boat or even heard anything about them? I really like the Wet Sounds stuff but wonder if anyone has any Bazookas. If I go with the Wet Sounds I was looking at the 3-SOME package or the Double-Up package for the tower.

MT6502BS - 6.5 Inch Black Marine Tubbies
http://store.bazooka.com/Assets/ProductImages/347.jpg
MT8002BS - 8 Inch Black Marine Tubbies
http://store.bazooka.com/Assets/ProductImages/264.jpg

you da man
12-22-2009, 01:46 AM
3-some has more range. Never listened to or heard the Bazookas in person.

Brianinpdx
12-22-2009, 01:36 PM
badasshybrid -

My advice is, give some thought as to how serious of setup you want to do on your tower. Both Brands you mentioned make great stuff but are targeted at two opposite parts of the marketplace. The biggest performance differences are going to be if you want to step up to HLCD technology. This will cost more and also provide some amazing sound levels out to 80 feet and beyond. On the other hand, going with the Tubbies will be more cost effective, take less amplifier power to run but are based on traditional car audio speakers. This will give you less of the amazing sound level for your riders.

As you can see, each route you asked about has its benefits. Ultimately it comes down to cost versus performance. I think you'll find guys on this forum that have both setups and can give you some practical insight before you take the plunge.

Cheers!

-Brian
Exile Audio

sandm
12-22-2009, 03:02 PM
hlcd and don't ever look back....

madriding1
12-22-2009, 03:59 PM
+1 on the wetsounds.. I have the 3 some setup and its amazing.

mmandley
12-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Badasshybrid.

Welcome man.

I havnt herd the Tubbies but they were on my list last summer before i got the KMT6s and decided not to get the tubbies after i recall how there tubbie sub system worked and sounded.

Now when you say Tubbie tower speaker and Wetsounds in the same thread. To me i hear hear Camero and Porsche.

Camero is fast, loud, looks pretty decent. But it isn't no Porsche.

Both get ya to the destination but one has more style class, and turns heads a lot more.

My thought is if your going to spend 400 on Tubbies or 800 on Wetsounds, then spend the extra coin now and save the < Wish i would have got WS or when you see and hear WS on the water think man i could have had that >

I personally don't like WS only because i don't like there cases. They sound amazing thought ill give them that. I have my own love for Tower speakers and most here know what they are by now.

If you want to spend the 400 for really nice towers, id go with some Bullets, Cans with WS speakers in them or something that route. I just don't think you will be happy with Tubbies bud.

EarmarkMarine
12-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Honestly, the larger Bazooka is not bad for listening at rest around the swimdeck or maybe even at wakesurfing range. The bass reflex enclosure is tuned very high and has a very pronounced midbass peak that provides the illusion of bass, at least at near field. They're fairly efficient and do not require big power to run. They use a conventional type direct radiating tweeter with overall construction that is no more robust than a common coaxial. The Bazooka hits an entry level price point and are certainly very competitive within their bracket.

However, do not get them confused with the performance of a true HLCD at wakeboarding range. WetSounds, Bullet HollowPoints and Exile (look, I gave Brian a plug) have some powerful offerings in the $800 to $850 range.

And, just like mmandley wrote, if you don't have HLCDs once you're parked next to someone who does you might be kicking yourself.

David
Earmark Marine

badasshybrid
12-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks guys for all of the help. I am just getting into wakeboarding and wakesurfing. I bought a really nice 99 Moomba Outback and have been changing some things to give it some personality so it will stand out a little. I think I have made a decision and narrowed it between Exile and Wet Sounds. Heres a pic of it to give you an idea of what the boat looks like.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e261/bullytank/Moomba/DSC06804.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e261/bullytank/Moomba/DSC06807.jpg

mmandley
12-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Thats a fine looking boat man. Im not a fan of red but in those pics it looks dark red and that looks realy sweet.

badasshybrid
12-23-2009, 04:26 AM
Thats a fine looking boat man. Im not a fan of red but in those pics it looks dark red and that looks realy sweet.

Thanks.

Its crimson, so its a little darker than red.

mmandley
12-23-2009, 09:14 AM
I like it man i really do. Toss some WS or Exile up there and it will look even better LOL.

viking
12-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Pretty boat - mines the same color! I want to change the graphics but haven't decided what I want to do?

Brianinpdx
12-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Viking - that tower looks nakid! shame on you... jokes! Actually I think the red boats look pretty sharp. Seems like I always see the black on black on black boats on the water.

Happy Holidays everyone. Stay safe!

-Brian

viking
12-24-2009, 06:05 PM
funny funny :) I know! I've got speakers sitting in my garage and all my stereo upgrades (4 roswell kickers, JL W3, 2 JL 600/4HD amps, add a battery, Polk db651's, seadek) all ready to go. Just waiting to get it all in. I wanted HLCD's but too much coin this year going into other stuff for the boat. Always need something to change later right?

Viking - that tower looks nakid! shame on you... jokes! Actually I think the red boats look pretty sharp. Seems like I always see the black on black on black boats on the water.

Happy Holidays everyone. Stay safe!

-Brian