PDA

View Full Version : spark plug gap

graybmg
12-21-2009, 11:29 AM
I bought my new spark plugs and was looking at my Moomba/Indmar manuals which says to use .028 or .03 then I looked at my Clymer manual that had a higher number. Out of the box the plugs are not at moomba spec. Question is, do you guys change the gap to spec or use out of the box?

Razzman
12-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Always use what Indmar states, afterall they are the experts on the engine. Out of the box gaps are a generic gap.

brain_rinse
12-21-2009, 01:33 PM
I don't know the differences in the engine between 2001 and now, but I will tell you that new boats ship with AC 41-993 gapped at .060, and AC MR43LTS gapped at .045 are recommended as less expensive and more durable replacements.

maxpower220
12-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Plugs out of the box need to be checked, there are many that I have found that are not properly gapped.

I would used the Indmar recommended gap of .30, although newer chevy V-8s are being gapped larger.

DOCDRS
12-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Your engine is a carb engine, newer ones are fuel injected and have diff plugs and diff gaps. Engine nut could prob go into specifics as to difference in gaps....but i was once told you get a smoother idle with a smaller gap but better bang with a larger gap, but then you may need more power going to the plug, i'm sure someone with more knowledge willchime in. I agree always gapyour plugs that way you know for sure they are all the same and it only takes a minute to do