PDA

View Full Version : Has Anybody Ridden an Obrien Alias TT?

Boardin'Ohio
12-15-2009, 06:06 PM
I bought a 5' Obrien Alias last winter to learn to wakesurf. During the summer the glue under the foam grip let loose and I was able to hold it together with gorilla glue for the rest of the season. When it initially let loose, I took it to the retailer and they promised a new board at the end of the season (props to 77 marine for working that). New board finally arrived and it turned out to be a 4'6" Obrien Alias TT due to mfg shipping wrong board. Retailer said it was my call whether to keep the TT or get the 2010 model of the Alias.

Has anybody ridden the Alias TT? Most noticeable differences (besides difference from 5' to 4'6") are the lack of a wedge for the back foot and opportunity to put fins on the sides instead of 1 in the middle.

Reviews said the TT was designed to ride more in the middle of the board. I'm still a relative newbie and don't want to throw off the little progress I made last summer (longest I was able to go without the rope was about a minute - no tricks yet).

Any thoughts on whether this is a better board for the next step in learning?

thanks for the advice!

jmvotto
12-15-2009, 11:14 PM
I rode both and was able to free ride on the TT second try.

Russ wilde co-designed the TT for 2009. It rides lower in the water and is designed for more tricks and spins when you get to that level. The alias rides high in the water and is faster.

My .02 keep the TT its worth 100 more ans you will grow into it.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=8856&highlight=wilde+experience

sailing217
12-16-2009, 11:36 AM
I've ridden both too. I'd take a TT over the Alias if I just had one board in the boat, but I'd take the Alias if it was for general friends to leard to freeride and I had a high end board for myself.

How much do you weigh helps with advice. I think the smaller TT has a lower weight limit so the Alias being bigger and faster would be easier to free ride. I'm 150lbs and it wasn't a big deal, but the other guy on my boat was 190 and had trouble freeriding the TT versus the Alias.

The TT is much easier to spin hence less fins. I also have a a broadcast 4.9 and we remove the outer fins so we can spin easier, but it also creates some drag. The TT still spins faster/easier. As you progress on skim boards, you'll go to that single fin anyways.

Don't worry about ridding in the middle of the board versus the back end, it's just how far your front foot is placed before you pearl-nosedive. Each board is a bit different and you just have to adjust your stance.

cab13367
12-16-2009, 04:05 PM
Boardin',

The advice you're getting is spot on. Since you are just learning the sport, keep the bigger board to maximize your freeriding time then once you get good and want something more maneuverable, get yourself a more advanced board and keep the Alias as your beginner board for teaching others on.

I'd personally rather have a big board and spend less time going back to pick up the rider because he fell off the sweet spot again.

I keep my CWB Ride for teaching others and have a sweet, Reactsurf Drive that my son and I ride.

Al

mobius man
01-09-2010, 09:16 AM
try a phase 5 awesome

beloooo
03-03-2010, 07:30 AM
he advice you're getting is spot on. Since you are just learning the sport, keep the bigger board to maximize your freeriding time then once you get good and want something more maneuverable, get yourself a more advanced board and keep the Alias as your beginner board for teaching others on.

I'd personally rather have a big board and spend less time going back to pick up the rider because he fell off the sweet spot again.

I keep my CWB Ride for teaching others and have a sweet, Reactsurf Drive that my son and I ride.