PDA

View Full Version : Moomba xlv Trailer

patrick37
05-16-2004, 07:31 PM
I just received my new XLV and love it except. The trailer has no straps for the stern of the boat and no saftey strap by the winch. The dealer told me not to worry about it because the boat was so heavy that it would not move. Well, The first time out on the way back from the lake, the winch strap snapped and I almost lost the boat on the freeway. I my dealer telling me the truth or what is everyone else doing?

zabooda
05-16-2004, 08:17 PM
I use a safety chain from the bow eye to the trailer and when trailering a distance I put on stern straps but they are not enough to do much as they are jet ski straps but they make the highway cops happy. Having the front hooked is the most important as my moomba is heavy enough to stay on the trailer. Unless some weird happens like big bumps or potholes, avoidance swerving or an accident, trailering shouldn't be a problem but you never know when that happens. I use the safety chain as I don't want to solely depend on the strap as they get weak from the sun and weather and can break unexpectedly.

willnorton
05-16-2004, 08:24 PM
My experience has taught me to NEVER tow any distance without both a bow tie-down (not the winch strap) and transom tie-downs on either side. The heavier your boat is, the more momentum it will have if it does start to move. The heavier the boat, the More restraint you need, not Less. Lose your coupler once and see what I mean...it's much nicer if the boat stays on the trailer.

Lpfeil
05-16-2004, 09:14 PM
You should also be aware that federal law requires you to have you're load secure. If you're boat is not straped in front and back you could be looking at a exspensive ticket if you get stopped. I have seen boats come completley off there trailer when not tied down. Make a turn to fast or a emergency stop or lane change and you could be in big trouble. I've spent to much money on my boat to take a chance. I installed the Boatbuckle retractable transom tie-down system from Overtons, it cost $60.00 but pretty cheep compaired to what we pay for our boats. Than I use a saftey chain on the front .

My two cents.

Larry

jburnside
05-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Patrick37,
My dealer told me the same thing, but as with several others in this thread I installed a bow chain with heavy duty snap hook and I bought 2 "swivel" transom tie downs from Overtons. Make sure you contact yor dealer about the bow strap breaking. No way that should happen on a new ride. Good luck.

Jrod06
05-24-2004, 09:09 PM
your bow strap snapped?? thats crazy!!! theres no way that should happen. we just bought a new xlv also just a couple weeks ago and wondered the same thing about the straps in the back and our dealer also told us not to worry about it but after reading your post i might look into getting some straps on the back.

Cryonchick
05-26-2004, 06:34 AM
There's no way that I would travel any distance w/o the bow and stern straps. I would definately get that fixed right away. I am gonna have to say that the dealer should be responsible for that. I believe also that it is a federal law about securing the boat to the trailer......just my two cents......

Good Luck!

Keaton
06-01-2004, 12:41 PM
What kind of stern straps are you guys using? I havent put any on because Iv been worried about the straps rubbing on the boat and leaving marks. Thats the same resson I haven't towed it with the cover on. Iv been worried about the straped vibrating in the wind next to the boat and leaving marks.

patrick37
06-05-2004, 12:15 AM
I bought straps for the stern and a chain for the bow.

Thanks,
Patrick

Catdog1
06-06-2004, 08:05 PM
Same for me. Put a fairly heavy chain at the bow, using one of those links that uses screw threads and a slip nut to close the link. Now, I always connect and disconnect no further away than at the waters edge. ( Used to tie a 5/8" rope from bow eye to trailer, but it took too long ).

At the transom, found a way to use a pair of fairly heavy ratchet straps, routing them so the ratches can't hit the boat even if they were to loosen-up. ( Used to spend a lot of time tying the stern down with heavy 1/2 " rope and knots --- which is always an option.)

Didn't know to use any of these things until a guy at the ramp told me I was crazy to go without them. Definitely is something that should be part of the purchase.

1moomba
06-07-2004, 07:06 PM
I BOUGHT SOME TIE DOWNS FOR THE STERN FROM OVERTONS.THEY BOLT TO THE TRAILER AND PULL OUT LIKE A SEAT BELT AND HAVE A RATCHET TO SNUG THEM DOWN.THEY ARE $59.95 AND WELL WORTH IT.NOTHING TO FALL OFF OR LOSE.PART # 32050 www.overtons.com