PDA

View Full Version : Decals: To remove or not

csm
12-09-2009, 04:55 PM
I really like the clean look of removing the side decals from the pictures I've seen of other boats... 2 questions:

Has anyone realized after removing the decal that there is some sun fading? I left a magnet on my truck for a long time, and when I removed it, you could basically still see the outline. Do I need to worry about this on fiberglass?

Is resale effected by this? Kind of a weird question, but I know I won't have this boat forever. If I were to ever sell for a newer model, I get the feeling that the general public prefers the decal since most inboards have one. Any opinions on if this decreases resale value at all?

Thanks guys.

moombadaze
12-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Removed the decall off my 03 lsv--looked just like the boat in the brochure. Nice and clean looking I allways thought. Sold it no problem.

kaneboats
12-09-2009, 06:03 PM
It's really a personal preference. Some like it nekked. Some like it original. Some like it wrapped. As far as resale, condition is more important than if there's a sticker on it. You can get decals on ebay or from the dealer.

sandm
12-09-2009, 06:16 PM
depends on the color I think. some boats look good nekked, some don't.

boils down to personal preference imo.
stickers are relatively cheap to replace down the road..

csm
12-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Thanks... Definitely makes me feel better. Hopefully mine is one of the ones that will look good nekked... but it's good to know the replacement stickers aren't too expensive.

jmvotto
12-09-2009, 08:30 PM
since we are soliciting opinions...

I hate boats that have the decals removed.

When it comes to decals on the hull, I'm of the opinion that more is better.

I would never buy a boat that had the decals removed...would seriously make me think:

"what's the real reason behind doing this". Was the hull repaired for some reason?"

but like evryone has said - it's all personal preference

I know some guys out there shave their armpit hair.

Ed, where do you get these from LMAO, (dogs, neighbors wife, pine box and now hairless pits)

jclevoy
12-10-2009, 12:29 AM
I say pull-em' off if you are going to wrap it, but otherwise..........leave them on.

Razzman
12-10-2009, 01:40 AM
Well i can't say that resale would be affected one way or another. I can say that if a boat sits exposed to the UV's long enough then yes you can possibly see where the decal was. My previous boat was that way and no amount of sanding or polishing will remove that. I would say that as long as your boat has been protected when not in use then you could probably get away with it. But it also depends on the age of the boat too.

cab13367
12-10-2009, 03:21 AM
I really like the clean look of removing the side decals from the pictures I've seen of other boats... 2 questions:

Has anyone realized after removing the decal that there is some sun fading? I left a magnet on my truck for a long time, and when I removed it, you could basically still see the outline. Do I need to worry about this on fiberglass?

Is resale effected by this? Kind of a weird question, but I know I won't have this boat forever. If I were to ever sell for a newer model, I get the feeling that the general public prefers the decal since most inboards have one. Any opinions on if this decreases resale value at all?

Thanks guys.

I think it will hurt resale some in the sense that I think most buyers would want a boat with the original stickers still on it (as you pointed out) so you may lose out on a potential sale because of it. Just find out how much it will cost to put new stickers on when you are ready to sell it and if you can live with that cost, then go for it.

sandm
12-10-2009, 07:37 AM
I really like the stickers on my boat and would have reconsidered had it not had them on it since it would not look good nekked, but I have seen my same boat in the '09 green color and it looks horrid with stickers on it. have also seen the 2-tone moomba red/black xlv's both ways and it looks 10x better debadged, but in white, needs them, but again it's all personal preference. I really doubt that removing them will affect your resale down the road, but be sure and take pics of the boat with them prior to removing them so you can show a potential client how it would look..

and imo, the boats with stickers and then all the supporting manufacturers stickers plastered all over them look like a$$...

jmvotto
12-10-2009, 09:45 AM
somethings are clearly ejoyed Nekked and some things just need some cover ups;)

Jeff W
12-10-2009, 12:50 PM
I pulled all of the decals off of my 02 outback in the early summer of 09 and there wasn't any significant sun fading. The boat is up in the Midwest though and has not been exposed to year long, intense sun.

I will be replacing the decals this year. The naked look was fun for a summer - but I'll be doing SOMETHING about it this year.

GeauxTigers
12-10-2009, 03:51 PM
since we are soliciting opinions...

I know some guys out there shave their armpit hair.

Ed.... you tell it like it is! Some wives REQUIRE that we shave the pits!

newty
12-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Some look good with some without. I didn't really like mine with and love the look w/o. Some boats look a little plain w/o them. Case by case, however for about $300 you can have them replaced. I disagree with the lost resale. Its all in the buyer and overall shape of a boat. I personally wouldn't let decals be a deal breaker when buying a boat.

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=226&pictureid=1768
https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=118&pictureid=933

csm
12-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Newty - Needless to say, you made a good decision. That's one of the cleanest, baddest looking boats out there.

My current decal is one of the "tribal tattoo" types, which I'm not the biggest fan of. Think I'll rip mine off, and if it doesn't look good, get one of the simpler, more streamlined decals.

newty
12-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks CSM. What color combo is you boat?

04OUTBACK
12-10-2009, 10:28 PM
I have an 06 LSV.. i removed mine early last spring...went nekked for a while.. I liked it that way, but I had already ordered the 08 graphics.. and wife kept asking to put them on..
I would dare say that If I sold mine today, less than half of potential buyers would know my 06 has 08 graphics..
If you go nekked, worst case scenario is you could put original graphics back on.. or newer graphics on...
Here is thread showing before after on mine...

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=8071

moombadaze
12-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Newty, again I will say this, your boat looks AWSOME nekked

newty
12-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Everyone around here knows its a Newty'z custom.
I hate logos all over the place. Isn't it enough that you buy thier boat, and then they expect you to advertise for them... no thanks.
I really don't care if people don't what kind of boat it is, I think it does its own kind of advertising.
If someone wants to know what kind of boat it is they can ask.
Btw a lot of people ask, and then say "I can't believe its a moomba" over and over and over and.... :p
I meet a lot of great people that way and sometimes I get a free beer out of it.;)

moombadaze
12-11-2009, 12:32 PM
I meet a lot of great people that way and sometimes I get a free beer out of it.;)

My boat will be nekked tonight and im looking for beer:rolleyes:

kaneboats
12-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Yea, I suppose I'd take it off for beer too.

newty
12-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Seriously?:rolleyes:
I hardly think my "attitude" is grounds for being banned or reprimanded by "they" on this site.
He asked for an opinion so thats my opinion Ed. You post your personal opinions all the time, It doesn't make it right or wrong.
Thats why its an opinion.

csm
12-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Newty - I have an 05 LSV. The majority of the hull is red, with white on the bottom, and white around the rub-rail area, with white/red/grey interior.

Ed - As far as not being able to tell what type of boat it is, don't all stock towers have Moomba written on one of the cross bars on the side? I know mine does. To me, that's enough of an identifier if someone is wondering what type of boat it is.

DOCDRS
12-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Newt'z is actually prob doing more advertising for moomba by not having the logo on his boat...its kind of subliminal but actually inverse advertising....what do you think of that?

newty
12-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Thats kinda what I was referring to in the earlier post. Most people dimiss Moomba as a second rate builder of boats. Then when they walk up to see what kind of boat it is, thier attitude changes. I know of 3 people who would have never considered a Moomba and now own them because of my boat.
Logos/badges/tradmarks are a way to market something. Its up to the owner to decide whether he would like to continue advertising or not.
Again... Just my opinion.

sandm
12-11-2009, 04:54 PM
agreed newty. it really is our choice.

newty
12-11-2009, 04:58 PM
CSM I would try removing maybe the small LSV sticker's in the back to see if there is any color fading. I'm sure you can pick a set of those up fairly cheap and go right over the same spot.
If I were you and there was no fading pull them off, run it for a season and if you don't like it put another set on. I really like the style 04OUTBACK has on his now. I think it would look pretty nice with your color combo.

And for the record I've never shaved my armpits... except when I shaved everything else... once... maybe twice...
I was young, I needed the money. I was going to buy a Moomba.
You gotta have goals! :p

newty
12-11-2009, 05:30 PM
How about we all watch this quick video and we'll all feel better.
PS if you don't like it, your not ok... seek help.

http://www.wimp.com/ukulelekid/

sandm
12-11-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm not going to watch it. what kind of help do I need? my puter at work has no speakers :(

and for the record, I've never shaved my armpits, but not to say I wouldn't for the right reason..

newty
12-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Computer speaker help.

mmandley
12-11-2009, 07:34 PM
How about we all watch this quick video and we'll all feel better.
PS if you don't, your not ok... seek help.

http://www.wimp.com/ukulelekid/

That was pretty funny Newty. Makes me think you posted that in reply to the previous thread. Listening to that kid reminds me of the Peanuts when Charlie Brown is in class, all you hear is mua mua mua

viking
12-11-2009, 07:55 PM
I don't know if I might have been happier without speakers after that?

newty
12-11-2009, 09:00 PM
I just realized i missed a couple of words in that last post.

There I fixed it.
I thought the video was funny. The kids expressions were great as were his playing ability, but he didn't know a single word of the song.

Sorry CSM this thread has gone a little... uh... sideways.

sandm
12-11-2009, 10:16 PM
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/Upload/hijack/Hijack-DeNiro.jpg

csm
12-11-2009, 10:51 PM
That kid is going to jam one day... Hopefully his future band will keep the microphone away from him.

viking
12-11-2009, 11:03 PM
. It was nice and clean and I kind of liked it, but I really like the wrap more.

Sled,
U got pics of ur boat wrapped?

sandm
12-12-2009, 12:13 AM
seen it before. probably one of the best wraps I have seen on a moomba.
gives new meaning to the skiing roo :)

DOCDRS
12-12-2009, 09:19 AM
nice wrap sled, she looks good all dressed up!!!!

deerfield
12-12-2009, 12:10 PM
It's real nice especially with the Sea Dek pad on the back.

Took this pic of Sled's Sea Dek pad at the '09 jamboree. Very nice. Hey, Sled, a tower would be a great addition to your Outback. If you want to try before you buy, next season I could run my boat up to your lake for the day and your kids could give it a try. Our boats are identical. It really does add diversity to an otherwise pure tournament ski boat. In addition to wakeboarding, we put racks on it and use it for ski/wakeboard storage to help with the clutter and also hang wet stuff (life vests, gloves, towels) to dry. It's expensive but well worth the cost. The second pic is my boat w/ tower taken at the jamboree.

Sled491
12-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Deerfield, you know your always welcome. In fact would be cool your family and Wills family could get out for a day to our place and just show the rest of the lake how it's done:)

newty
12-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Speaking of mullets

sandm
12-12-2009, 06:19 PM
mullets are so "last year"...

http://images.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2009/10/skullet.jpg

viking
12-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Sled,
Really cool! It turned out real nice. Maybe I'll have to look into a wrap in a year or two? It set's ur boat apart from the rest.

And Mullets..............Check out Jared Allen's website and join the Mullet Mullitia :)

Sled491
12-12-2009, 11:37 PM
All this mullet talk is starting to make me nervous :)

moombadaze
12-13-2009, 11:09 AM
I want to know who got my school picture out:mad:

newty
12-13-2009, 03:18 PM
I didnt know you played football?:p

kaneboats
12-14-2009, 04:06 PM
I have an uncle who's been sportin' that skullet for years. Bet he didn't even know it was a style choice.

Sled491
12-14-2009, 10:50 PM
NEWTY - that Mullet you posted - I think its officially considered a "lesmullet" pronounced lez-moo-lay but it could also be a "femullet" - just too hard to tell.

just in case you guys didn't know - a few synonyms on the matter

Mullet Synonyms: Drape Ape, Wisconsin
Waterfall, Mississippi Mud Flap, Missouri
Compromise, Louisiana Purchase, Neck
Blanket

I find your knowledge about the mullet intriquing :D