PDA

View Full Version : Winter...

jimmobius
12-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Well as I sit her in my jammies with my coffee it is -12 deg. outside her in sunny Colorado. I am not taking to hibernation very well. My wife and youngest son are both sick as well as my fellow co-workers. Just trying to stay well is a challenge for me right now . Christmas is coming and I am not even close to being done shopping. It is days like this that make me long for the lake and fun in the sun. Next year brings us winter vacation in Mexico( Puerto Vallarta) , all class reunion in Montana ( taking the Moomba of course) , and my oldest son's wedding. Hopefully a fall trip to Arizona again . By the way does anyone know if there is water skiing vendors available in Puerto Vallarta? I have looked online and haven't found any yet.

Jim .

madriding1
12-09-2009, 12:30 PM
I hear ya.. Im east of colorado springs and it was -15 this morning.. BRRR.. Bring back the sunshine!

snowboardcorey
12-09-2009, 12:36 PM
6 inches of snow and a high of 11 this morning in Minneapolis, temps are falling and the wind is picking up so we'll see what tomorrow is like. Everyones pretty content staying in today excpet for the dog, he's already got cabin fever!

yearround
12-09-2009, 02:11 PM
hey jim,
this cold spell really stinks! less than 2 weeks ago we rode CC at 44 deg water, now it is iced over. im still procrastinating complete winterization and putting it up til spring, maybe get another ride or two?

we are going to try and get on carter saturday afternoon, if it did not freeze over. break out the drysuit and come for a ride?

madriding, how is pueblo, will they still let people on in the winter? may try going there, it is probably warmer than carter.

madriding1
12-09-2009, 03:27 PM
They let people on all winter. Alot of duck hunters head there in the winter. It is warmer than the lakes up in Denver but the past few days of negative degrees have sure cooled it down quite a bit. I may still try and get a few more runs in.

yearround
12-09-2009, 03:45 PM
i never thought of duck hunting from my moomba! hmm, let me think about that one. would probably be the most comfortable duck hunt i have been on!

hey, did you ride with a kid named Zane, who is a student at UNC? if you do go out, and need another idiot, let me know.

pueblo is fun in the winter, you go over to the cove, climb out on the ice and take off.

GeauxTigers
12-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Man! I was crying like a baby this morning when I got out and it was 2 degrees! I guess the grass is NOT greener on the other side huh? Can't wait for SPRING!!!!

madriding1
12-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Zane has come down a few times to ride with us.. He usually stays the night and has some beers with us. Cool kid for sure. We will hook up to do some skiing this winter too. You are more than welcome to ride with us anytime. We have a cool crew and are always looking for more people to ride.
Hit me up and I will shoot you my number. One of my buddies puts cammo over his tower to hunt. Funny stuff for sure to see him out there along side of the John boats.

polar21
12-09-2009, 04:39 PM
You bunch of wimps....Its 70 here in the panhandle of Florida! I thought about playing hookie this afternoon and taking the boat out, but it didnt happen. PV Mexico is one of the best fishing destinations in the world. A PV fishing trip is on my bucket list!

kaneboats
12-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Yup. About 70 today in Tallahassee but rained all day with storms and alleged tornadoes. Back to low 50's tomorrow with more rain coming for the weekend.

GeauxTigers
12-09-2009, 06:40 PM
You bunch of wimps....Its 70 here in the panhandle of Florida! I thought about playing hookie this afternoon and taking the boat out, but it didnt happen. PV Mexico is one of the best fishing destinations in the world. A PV fishing trip is on my bucket list!

Shoot.... low 70's is the warmest water ever gets in Utah. Lake Powell is a different story. Most of Northern Utah is 70 or less until June every year (This year, we never saw anything higher than 71 at either Jordanelle, Strawberry or Flaming Gorge). I never wear a wetsuit or think twice about jumping in the water unless it's sub 65. You guys in Florida are wearing full length wetsuits at 70??? My five year old jumps in at 60.

jclevoy
12-10-2009, 12:27 AM
This thread is making me depressed. It is SO long until spring.

romoboco
12-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Jim, Todd, Michael the REZ water temp is still @ 50 degrees at North Shore, probably a little colder out in the middle and warmer in skiers cove. No Ice. The ramps are open from 5 am to 6 pm tho this week the snail checkers have been closing at 3. Sat temps are supposed to be in the high 40's low 50's. If anyone needs a dry suit stop on by and I'll loan you one from the rental program. Got gloves, Squid lids and booties too. Bill

madriding1
12-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Bill, Whats up buddy! Hope you had a great summer.. I have already winterized. Just got too cold for me to risk it. I will stop by and see you next time I'm down there.
Mike

yearround
12-10-2009, 05:08 PM
hey bill, thanks for the update!

will have to see if i can get enough time out of christmas shopping on saturday to come down. i think that carter iced, the other state parks closed for thee winter. I have not seen 50 water since september! that would be nice!

Mikey
12-10-2009, 09:31 PM
There is skiing in Peurta Vallarta from some of the shore venders,skiing behind OOOOLLLDDD ski boats just like they use for some of the parasails. Usually pulling wakeboarders or skiers on 2 skis. Don't know if thweres any hardcore skiing.
We sit under6-8 inches of snow and our temps this week have ranged from -30 to -7 celcius with wind chill on top of those temps. -7 not so bad but -30 with wind chill probably at -40 thats COLD.

jimmobius
12-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Bill , thanks for the offer I will keep you in mind . Hopefully I will see you at the Denver boat show. Mike , thanks for the info on puerto vallarta skiing, do you know about where they are located there? We are staying at the Marina area in a timeshare with some friends.
Thanks, Jim.

Sled491
12-11-2009, 11:06 PM
Wed we got 12 inches of the fluffy stuff and water was wide open. Thursday 0 degrees and had to break 1 to 2 inches of ice all way accross lake to jobsite. Sunk my little boat and spent all afternoon retrieving it. Friday ice walkable, barge frozen in lake. Spent day cutting it out and getting onto trialer and to compound.

Man I'm with you, I miss summer :(

Mikey
12-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Not exactly sure where the skiboat started from but i suspect they may have originated from near there. We were at one of the Riu's in Nuevu Vallarta a couple miles down from there but the boat that i saw looked like it started out from down that way.Good luck.