PDA

View Full Version : Removing hoses

WaterBullDawg1980
12-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Anyone have any good ideas on how to get the hoses off after removing the clamps?

I am trying to get finish this this winterization before the cold hits this evening, :)

I have the block drained, but cannot get the hoses off despite having the clamps loosened.

mmandley
12-05-2009, 08:47 PM
depends on what tools you have at your disposal. If you have a Hook of some sort, like a thin 90 bend you can slide it up the hose and that will break the connection. Small screw driver works as well.

Whats happening is the hose gets tightened on the metal inlet tube and then the rubber kinda bonds to it. You just have to break this seal.

Squeezing it real hard just behind the clamp and twisting helps a lot too.

If all else failes grab some channel locks and grab it and twist it. Generaly i do this only behind the pipe wheres its connected so theres only pressure on the rubber hose part.

WaterBullDawg1980
12-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Good deal. I am going to go back out and try this now.

Also, I am having trouble getting the strainer off. There is a small pipe of some sort running next to it that is hampering me really getting to it. VERY frustrating. Shouldnt this be pretty easy to unscrew?

I cant believe its actually getting into the mid 20s here in GA. Usually that only happens a few times a year. To take extra precaution I have placed a small heater in one of the storage compartments as well as a 90 WATT light in the other. Closed all the lids except for one that I left slightly cracked.

Should not have put this off until now.

:(

WaterBullDawg1980
12-07-2009, 10:50 PM
AHHHH!!! All done.

scoot_gt
12-07-2009, 11:20 PM
AHHHH!!! All done.

Which magic trick got the hoses off? I've never been able to budge them...

WaterBullDawg1980
12-08-2009, 05:04 PM
I had to carefully stick a flathead screwdriver in there and kind of loosen the hose around the pipes. It is suctioned to it very well and basically forms a bond to it. The idea is to break this bond and shimmy the hoses off. The J Hose was for sure the hardest.

But once they are loosened up your pulling, grunting and yelling will pay off. :)

Boatdrinks797
09-13-2014, 01:25 AM
I will be adding one of these to my tool box in the morning. I battled my hoses and lost last weekend.....

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-radiator-hose-pick-96572.html