PDA

View Full Version : Keeping 60 Watt light in engine for warmth

WaterBullDawg1980
12-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Hey guys,

My boat is not getting winterized until Monday unless I do it myself, and it is getting to 35 tonight and 29 on Saturday.

I have a workmans light takes a 60 or 90 watt bulb, that I can put in the engine compartment.

Question is, where do you guys put this sucker? I am assuming the compartment needs to be closed and I didn't really want any explosions this evening.

BensonWdby
12-03-2009, 10:12 PM
If the boat is in the water I am told that at that temp it is not an issue.

If not
1. Keep the boat cover on
2. I would use a strongre bulb. I have used a 150W flood., but I put it in a 5 gallon plastic pail to protect the carpet and the vinyl.
3. I usually have a boat fender under the front edge of the clamshell to allow air in/out of the engine compartment and prevent fumes from building up around the engine.
4. Then I put the pail next to the open edge of the clamshell.

No promises....
Dave

WaterBullDawg1980
12-03-2009, 10:19 PM
So your basically facing the open end of the 5 gallon pail toward the engine with flood shining down on it inside the pail?

I think I could rig something like that up fairly easily. I was just thinking the lid would be better served shut.

I also was toying with the idea of putting a small heater we use for a small camper inside the left storage compartment (facing the back) and then opening up the little hinged door so as to get the heat on the engine.

By the way, I have a 2005 LSV.

mmandley
12-03-2009, 10:34 PM
So your basically facing the open end of the 5 gallon pail toward the engine with flood shining down on it inside the pail?

I think I could rig something like that up fairly easily. I was just thinking the lid would be better served shut.

I also was toying with the idea of putting a small heater we use for a small camper inside the left storage compartment (facing the back) and then opening up the little hinged door so as to get the heat on the engine.

By the way, I have a 2005 LSV.

Small heater in the left or right locker is best, open both engine side covers so it's one big compartment, crack the engine cover open for ventalation and you should be golden. Even at 29 it will take several hours of that temp to even start water to freeze so just havnt a heat source will prevent freezing. The most fragile area is actualy you ballast system as a lt of this is plastic. I'd unhook the lines and drain sone water, heck pull the engine block plugs and drain it n the bilage that allows any cold water more room to expand.

graybmg
12-07-2009, 08:00 PM
I have my boat in an indoor storage facility (3 levels, I'd guess 100 boats). I was told that it never freezes in there. Oh, I'm in central Alabama where it's rare to go below 20 but it happens. Considering not winterizing. Opinions on how protected I am in there?

zabooda
12-07-2009, 10:17 PM
graybmg, you need to find out who would be liable for damage from freezing from a failed heating system or a loss of power either from their system or the utilities. If you are liable for any part of it which may be areas outside their control such as a utility outage then you need to check with your insurance if your covered and have it writing. If you're liable and insurance won't cover you then you need to winterize as the probability is likely that a power failure and sub-freezing temperatures may coexist (i.e. ice or snow storm). By winterizing you control the situation rather than the situation controlling you.

newty
12-07-2009, 10:58 PM
If you have one of those little space heaters with the safety tip switch I would pull the rear seat and the v-drive inspection hatch and point it right there. I would leave the locker deviders open and the front ski/ballast locker open. as well as the the seat back to your storage under the dash. This will keep all your ballast system and lines warm as well as your heater lines if you have them. It should also help keep and water that is in the hull from freezing and and causing damage. Light bulbs are ok if you don't have any other components in the boat with water in them. Heater cores aren't cheap.
Typically a little space heater isn't enough to burn carpet but will move enough warm air around to keep everything thawed.

Sled491
12-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Earlier in the fall we had a few days of frost that had me a bit worried as my boat was still on the lift and I had no intention of backing it in yet. I took a work light like you describe and simply laid it under the engine facing up towards the oil pan. I then gently closed the clam and put my cover back on. Wow, I could believe how warm it was in there the next day! I had to leave it like that for about 4 days and can say without a doubt it worked as advertised.

polar21
12-14-2009, 10:26 AM
This is what I do as well. On my engine year, there is a L shaped bracket on the front of the motor that I hang the light from. I only have a 60W bulb in there right now but it hasnt gotten to cold here yet so I rarely turn it on. I have also ran anti freeze thru the motor as well...figured it couldnt hurt.

barefooterh2o
12-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Might be a little late on this reply. We ski in Iowa until the lakes are frozen which is usaully 1st part of December. If I don't have time to drain everything, I use a rope light on the bottom of the motor box and close the motor box cover. It's low heat and keeps the engine warm even when temperature drops to the single digits. There is no danger of catching anything on fire due to heat because you can hold the rope light. I've used this method for 10 years on many boats.

kaneboats
01-04-2010, 02:08 AM
We are in the mid 20's tonight. Gotta put the trouble light out there even though it's in the garage.

Sled491
01-04-2010, 03:53 PM
I like the rope light idea. I always get worried about too much heat around the fumes and oil.

WaterBullDawg1980
01-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Although I am extremely confident in my winterization skills.....I still have a 60 Watt running as well as a small electric heater in the engine bay. I am simply too paranoid of any damage that has a chance of happening. And believe me, it keeps it nice and toasty. :)

Sled491
01-04-2010, 08:42 PM
Keeping in mind you do live in Atlanta not the north :D

badasshybrid
01-04-2010, 10:50 PM
It is going to be down in the teens and high 25 the next 5 days here. I keep my boat inside and it was 30 in there last night, 15 outside. I put a 100 watt light next to the block and cracked the motor cover. Checked the temp under the cover after a little bit and it was up to 40 so I should be fine. I also drained as much water out as I knew how.

zabooda
01-06-2010, 01:31 PM
You can go to farm supply store and get an inline thermostat controlled power plug that will turn devices on and off at a preset temperature and many of them turn on around 34-40 degrees. Heat trace has those controls built in and you can wrap the engine like a Christmas tree.

Sled491
01-06-2010, 01:37 PM
Man, how commited are we, that we're trying to find any way possible, and build the better mouse trap to keep our boats on the water as long as possible every year? :)

polar21
01-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Hey, commitment is the key to longevity. I put 2 gallons of antifreeze through the boat last night and then put the 100w bulb in the engine compartment. I dont know how you guys do it in the north. Its supposed to be in the teens here in the panhandle of Florida and I think cabin fever has set in throughout the entire region.

WaterBullDawg1980
01-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Keeping in mind you do live in Atlanta not the north :D

It's crazy down here right now. We are going through the coldest stretch I have ever experienced in all my 29 years. Of course I have only lived in California and Georgia, but still......

For about a 7 day stretch our lows are going to be around low-mid 20's with some nights hitting the teens. My wireless temp reader said it got down to 17 2 days ago. THAT IS COLD!

Spring could not come fast enough.

Sled491
01-07-2010, 12:28 AM
It's crazy down here right now. We are going through the coldest stretch I have ever experienced in all my 29 years. Of course I have only lived in California and Georgia, but still......

For about a 7 day stretch our lows are going to be around low-mid 20's with some nights hitting the teens. My wireless temp reader said it got down to 17 2 days ago. THAT IS COLD!

Spring could not come fast enough.

Your killing me :) 17? we just came back from -34 f, of course the frost bite burns on my face should finish peeling soon and I can start to look somewhat normal again :(

Ian Brantford
01-07-2010, 02:16 AM
I dont know how you guys do it in the north. Its supposed to be in the teens here in the panhandle of Florida and I think cabin fever has set in throughout the entire region.

For Canucks, that's cold enough to convince us to put on a sweater before heading outside!

Sled491
01-07-2010, 08:38 AM
For Canucks, that's cold enough to convince us to put on a sweater before heading outside!

That's funny :D

jjerrod
01-07-2010, 01:21 PM
If you spend a little money and get an Extreme heater http://www.xtremeheaters.com/and take all the uncertainty that something bad is going to happen. With these heaters you don’t have to worry about ventilation, overheating, or fumes. Just stick it in the engine compartment close the lid and that’s it.

kaneboats
01-07-2010, 01:57 PM
We have a Habitat build day coming up on Sat. It's supposed to be about 20 overnight and around 30 in the morning with a high of about 41. I have people begging off and I know it's because of the "extreme cold". Now I have to admit I did go and dig out my only pr. of longjohns and may even wear a coat.

yearround
01-07-2010, 04:34 PM
We have a Habitat build day coming up on Sat. It's supposed to be about 20 overnight and around 30 in the morning with a high of about 41. I have people begging off and I know it's because of the "extreme cold". Now I have to admit I did go and dig out my only pr. of longjohns and may even wear a coat.

that sound like ideal work weather to me. that would be jeans and a t-shirt, maybe a long sleeve to start out, but shed once you get going.

good luck with the Habitat thing. they usually do good for worthy situations.

i did a manifold similar to deerfield to run antifreeze through my system, really simple, total cost was $35, which included 3 gal of antifreeze, only needed 2, but kind of lost one.

kaneboats
01-08-2010, 12:06 PM
good luck with the Habitat thing. they usually do good for worthy situations.

Thanks! I have been the chair at my church for several years. Grew up working with Habtat and I also helped found a local Fuller Center for Housing here. I hate the idea of kids not having a clean decent place to live.

wolfeman131
01-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I hate the idea of kids not having a clean place to live.

Hey, you could be talking about my girl's rooms!

Just kiddin'. Great job on the Habitat builds. I've always enjoyed the ones I have participated in.

WaterBullDawg1980
01-09-2010, 07:08 PM
Your killing me :) 17? we just came back from -34 f, of course the frost bite burns on my face should finish peeling soon and I can start to look somewhat normal again :(

Ok Sled, It has gotten worse. Last night it got down to 12 degrees. 12 DEGREES!! This is horrible. Someone needs to declare Georgia a natural disaster area. We need supplies.

This is getting bad. I will let all of you know if I make it through tonight.

:confused:

WaterBullDawg1980
01-10-2010, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=Sled491;82771]Were at the lake house for the weekend. Last night was 0. Had to bring my family over and my sister in law with the Quad over the ice. Never heard so much complaining :) Had the furnce turned up to 72 and a big fire roaring in the fireplace. Spent the day outside, sledding down the hill behind the house, skating on the rink I made on the lake, Ice fishing tonight. Just a great day at the lake.

Sounds like a great time sled. I wonder how cold it would have to get for our lakes to freeze. hmmm....

kaneboats
01-13-2010, 12:20 PM
I'm thinking about moving to Miami. It's actually supposed to be over 60 in a couple of days here though so maybe the warmer days are coming back.

Sled491
01-13-2010, 12:26 PM
Why wouldn't you, houses are just about free there still :D

kaneboats
01-14-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't like salt water.

Sled491
01-14-2010, 05:46 PM
I think there is a lake some where behind there :) Maybe thats the Gulf I'm thinking of :D

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
01-15-2010, 12:44 PM
Before I winterized this season. I placed a 60 watt bulb in the engine compartment. The bulb was not in any cage, like a trouble light, it was just exposed. I went to check in and see how the light was working and the bulb had shifted and was touching the fiberglass floor. A very small amout of smoke was comming off the bulb/floor. Needless to say I turned that off and used a trouble light so the bulb was surrounded by a cage and would not have contact with any part of the compartment.