PDA

View Full Version : What Board are you Surfing?

DOCDRS
12-02-2009, 08:11 PM
I have a CWB Tsunami 57" but it is the only board i have surfed on , looking for some comments and comparisons as i'm thinking of getting a longer board like the CWB Ride 63" as is says its a faster board and its not too much $ Any thoughts?

SEARK
12-02-2009, 08:29 PM
I've got the Liquid Force Venture 5'6". It's the only board I've ridden so I can't compare it to anything else. It is easy to get up and get going on though. After I figured out the stance and balance it was pretty easy to find the sweet spot in the wave. I'm not sure for my size if I could go much shorter with a board.

BobP
12-03-2009, 12:35 AM
We have a 2008 Outback V with stock Gravity III ballast system, started riding with a friend's CWB Ride...nice big board, easy to find sweet spot. We purchased an Inland Surfer Blue Lake which is similar is size to the Ride but way lighter and much nicer ride and control. The Blue Lake is fairly expensive but found new 08 model for about $100 more than a Ride.

sandm
12-03-2009, 07:37 AM
have 3 currently..

broadcast, currently the oldest. great board for "cruising" as ed said. it's the beginner board we teach everyone on..

inland surfer 4-skim it's a real fast trick board, that I ride occasionally, but really has become my sis' bf's board.

drew daniello pro model. this is my personal board. not quite as fast as the 4skim, but feels more stable. awesome board and I love it..

kaneboats
12-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Last summer we reinvented Moombadaze's Broadcast by taking the two outer fins off. If you haven't tried this, be sure to do it next time out. It's a lot more slippery and I was grinnin' ear to ear. Some of us up near 215-220 need a somewhat larger board but still want to slip and trick a little. This is the way to "fix" your Broadcast.

sandm
12-03-2009, 11:49 AM
kane..

did that to ours last spring, and it does make a difference on the board. still a tank compared to the 4skim, but makes the grin factor a little better..
my sis' bf has gotta be 225 or so and 6ft. he loves the 4skim. easy to get up and he rides it well ropeless.

the broadcast is still a great board to just hang and follow the boat for miles. had offers to sell it, but never......

Razzman
12-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Shred Stixx (http://www.shredstixx.com/) Ja Mako and this thing rips! At 4' 11" it quite fast down the line, more so than your CWB, Liquid Force or other similar mass produced boards. Don't get me wrong, those boards are good boards but don't compare to a true surf style board. Shred Stixx boards are designed and built by Jerry Price a world class ocean champion rider. I have an older hand built foam & glass, balsa stringer with an eps skim coat. Most of his new boards are same or similar construction but mass produced in China now, still work just as good. He still hand builds about 30% of his boards for customers though. Not cheap though, $585 for the Ja Mako.

The speed and dexterity of a board is not just in the length it also takes into account rocker configuration, fins and fin placement, board shape, construction and weight. For example, a buddy of mine has a Calibrated (http://www.calibratedwakesurfing.com/) 50" skim style board and he says the Ja Mako is much more rider freindly reactive and faster down line. Now the Calibrated board is eps constructed and wafer thin but it works very well, but to me is super loose and hard to control.

Boards built by Mike Walker of the Walker Project (http://www.thewalkerproject.com/)are argueably the best boards out there, but then he's been shaping for champion sufers for eons too and the price reflects it as well. There's all kinds of options, it's all in what you expect and how much you can pay.

Coincidently I bought my Ja Mako from Mike Walker (no relation to the above Mike Walker) who's son James Walker (http://www.thewalkerproject.com/wake-surfing/wake-surf-team/james-walker/) is probably the best wakesurfer on the west coast and has won so many comps i can't even count them, but he rides for The Walker Project. Do a search for James on Utube, you'll be amazed at the level he rides at.

On a flip side his dad Mike is an accountant that has wakesurfing in his blood so bad that he makes his own boards as well, at least a dozen a year! They are out virtually every weekend surfing at New Hogan Lake in Valley Springs, Ca. Doesn't matter how cold, they don suits and surf. Some of you may of seen Mike's antics and boards on WakeWorld in the Wakesurf section, he's known as Surfdad. And that's how i got the Ja Mako, he had so many boards that he unloaded a dozen or so to make room!

Ok i've rambled enough, way too much coffee today! :p

Ja Mako in action;

SC_LSV
12-03-2009, 11:02 PM
I ride a 08 CWB Tsuanami 4'9". Tried the Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6" & Coex 4'4". Broadcast definitely slowest, but easiest to ride on a small wave. I personally weigh too much for the Coex so sank it. 'Nami is fun and have to take a fin or two out to loosen the board up a little though.

Ed that is some dirty water you are riding in. Guess I got spoiled on the clean water in the Mountains of South Caroilna though.

kaneboats
12-04-2009, 09:42 AM
You forgot to mention how great it tastes-- a little well kept secret-- tastes just like a nice dark lager. MMMMmmmmmmmm!!

kaneboats
12-05-2009, 02:34 AM
The fish get out an go to the porta poddy. Couldn't you show the same courtesy?

moombadaze
12-05-2009, 10:23 AM
but isnt that why we all swim slowly by your boat when your filling the ballast up

adsman
12-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Inland surfer red woody
inland surfer carbon loogey quad fin
hyperlite landlock
phase 5 scamp (for the groms)

cab13367
12-06-2009, 06:03 PM
I have a CWB Tsunami 57" but it is the only board i have surfed on , looking for some comments and comparisons as i'm thinking of getting a longer board like the CWB Ride 63" as is says its a faster board and its not too much $ Any thoughts?

I've got the CWB Ride as my beginner board that I start adults on. It's not faster than your Tsunami but it is bigger so it's a better choice for heavier folks (more volume=more flotation) and beginners (stable). I also have a Hyperlite Coex 4'-4" board that used to be my son's board but is now the beginner board for kids and light adults (mostly women). My son and I both ride a React Drive 4'6" board that is super fast (reactsurf.com). My son has to stand way back on it because it drives down the wave so well. Below is a pic of my son and one of me on the Drive. We absolutely love this board. At $500+, it's pricey but it's comparable to the other high end boards out there. FYI, reactsurf is a small, custom surfboard and wakesurf board company in Vancouver, WA that hand shapes and finishes each board.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/Boat%20Pics/DSC00097.jpg

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs248.snc1/9534_1225457600354_1346450172_661906_2659336_n.jpg

moombadaze
12-06-2009, 07:40 PM
cwb ride
hyperlight broadcast- both sizes

all fit in standard racks

DOCDRS
12-06-2009, 11:26 PM
thanks guys the info has helped alot in expanding my surf board knowledge, nice wake Al..how is the boat weighted?

cab13367
12-07-2009, 12:04 AM
thanks guys the info has helped alot in expanding my surf board knowledge, nice wake Al..how is the boat weighted?

750lb in the rear surf side locker, 400 lb in the ski locker. In the pic of my son, it was me, my wife, 5 yr old daughter, and my Mom and Dad in the boat, all riding on the surf side (except me). I stand on top of the ski locker when I drive so that my weight is "neutral" as far as making the boat list.

In the pic with me surfing, same set up except just two people in the boat - one 100# girl (who took the pic) and one 180# guy driving (while standing on top of the ski locker).

04OUTBACK
12-07-2009, 08:23 PM
I have ridden Inland Surfer Blue Lake, Red Woody, Yellow Loogey, as well as LF Venture, and CWB Ride.

Blue Lake is by far my favorite... Red woody is close, but not quite as fun as Blue Lake.

We rode the Blue lake while with friends one september... Wife gave me the money to buy BLue Lake asap! She loved it! Very stable and the nose!

sailing217
12-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Currently I ride a phase5 icon and TWP James Walker Sig Model. Very different so I try not to do them back to back as it takes me a minute to get into the groove. I'll probably do the slight upgrade to the Drew Pro carbon model this year for my skim.
Kids love their Phase5 Scamp (6-11yr old). Wife rides and cruises my P5.
My boat board is Broadcast 4.9 with outter fins removed. Used to be a Blue Lake but I used those funds for my JWSM.

I've riden about a dozen boards and my fav is Phase5 Drew carbon. The TWP JWSM might be the most advanced setup out there and I haven't been on it enough but it's amazing and a complete workout. You have to work it hard all the time but it rewards you with quick tight turns, super fast acceleration, and lightweight for airs. There's no cruising on the JWSM. It's like an F1 car is the only way to describe it. I would only recommend if you were getting serious into competitions.

On a similar note, boards are getting very expensive aren't they? Since I have some high end boards I'm more into almost trading for lightly used boards. Fun to ride different things.

csm
12-09-2009, 01:24 PM
I ride a Walzer Alpha twin-tip. Super fun board. They don't make them anymore, and I don't think you can really find them new anywhere, but it is a great all-around board if you're looking for a board that can spin easily, and is also fast enough to shred and get some air.

The biggest thing I've noticed going from a Broadcast to this is how much easier it is to recover from far back in the pocket when you think your ride is over.

kaneboats
12-09-2009, 06:16 PM
That can be an issue with the Broadcast. It's like having a hole in your pocket sometimes.