PDA

View Full Version : Where to purchase Seaboard/Starboard/hdpe?

viking
11-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Hey all,
where are you getting the seaboard for projects?
- walkthrough's
- amp boards
- ect...

I've checked my local area and we're pretty rural. Can't find the stuff anywhere.

Thanks!

cab13367
11-28-2009, 09:59 PM
viking,

I got mine from a local distributor. They were nice enough to sell me some even though I am not a dealer. Can't remember the name of the place anymore, it's been a couple of years now.

Al

Razzman
11-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Viking for any project not requiring load bearing such as the walk through i'd use HDPE from TAP Plastics or the like. It's cheaper and does the same job.

mcdye
11-30-2009, 08:48 AM
depending on the size needed, a cutting board from Wally World will work...used one for my amp board.

NCSUmoomba
12-05-2009, 01:19 PM
I think West Marine carries it.

viking
12-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Viking for any project not requiring load bearing such as the walk through i'd use HDPE from TAP Plastics or the like. It's cheaper and does the same job.

Thanks Razzman. I just checked out their website and can ship a couple sheets for around $20. Didn't think that was too bad.

What is the main difference between HDPE and Seaboard? It looks like HDPE is cheaper for the same sizes? I just need to build an amp board, false front for sub box and possibly do some footbox mods like Newty. I figured I can use the HDPE for that as well? Non of it will really be used for any weight.

patrick232
12-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Plain HDPE will have more flex than the Kingboard / Starboard. But the cost should be about 1/2 for the hdpe. I have some .450" thick black HDPE at work it that would work.

Razzman
12-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks Razzman. I just checked out their website and can ship a couple sheets for around $20. Didn't think that was too bad.

What is the main difference between HDPE and Seaboard? It looks like HDPE is cheaper for the same sizes? I just need to build an amp board, false front for sub box and possibly do some footbox mods like Newty. I figured I can use the HDPE for that as well? Non of it will really be used for any weight.

Viking, the biggest difference is Starboard is a harder, denser material suitable for weight bearing. HDPE should work for your amp board just fine though as long as you use like 1/2 or so. Once the amps are attached they will lend rigidity to the structure. As long as the board is mounted in a vertical position you won't have any problems. Just remember as HDPE is softer than Starboard you should back all screw heads with flat washers.

It should be a perfect fit for the false front on your sub project as well. also remember not to lay it in the horizontal position with weight on it or it will bow in long expenses.

viking
12-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks guys.....!
I think HDPE will solve my false front and amp board work then.
It will also probably solve my footbox mods as well since only weight will be a sub enclosure and only talking maybe a foot in the horizontal run.

Appreciate all the input from the forum!