PDA

View Full Version : Winterization

Vdawg
10-22-2002, 02:13 PM
I'm getting ready to winterize my boat. I've heard that instead of draining all the water from the engine, it's better to pump it full of antifreeze. Does any one have any recomondations on this?

Brian Raymond
10-22-2002, 10:47 PM
Vdawg, be very weary of useing antifreeze with all of the EPA stipulations, your local dealer should be able to properly winterize your boat and add the proper amount of fuel stabilizer. If attempting to conquer the task solo, check with your dealer on helpful tips and reccomendations. Indmar is very helpful in this area also. Brian Raymond

Yellowmobius
10-23-2002, 08:43 AM
Go to www.indmar.com for a manual on winterizing your engine.

DOCDRS
10-27-2002, 07:54 PM
After you drain you motor re indmar specs you can pump plumbing antifreeze into the drain plugs until it drains out the water pump (after you've disconnected the hose) at the front of the engine. plumbing antifreeze is enviromentally safe.

N.B. ALSO IF YOU HAVE BERTHA BALLAST PUMP THIS INTO YOUR EXHAST PORTS AS IF THERE IS ANY WATER IN YOUR DRAIN PUMPS IT CAN FREEZE AND CRACK OPEN YOUR PUMPS !!!!!!!

01-29-2003, 10:04 PM
OK, I read the posts and the owners manual. Where I live it is not uncommon to have subfreezing temperatures well into May but there are good lakes at the lower elevations I can hit in March. What precautions should I take during the "iffy" months when I want to use the boat but am afraid of having something freeze during the cold nights.