PDA

View Full Version : Fuming

adsman
11-25-2009, 05:29 PM
I am soooooooooooooo p'd off right now. On my way home from the office, i thought i would stop by the storage unit because i havent used the boat in a few weeks... thought I would "check on the boat"... i do it often and it seems like a silly thing to always being doing... but i do it anyways.

well... i open the unit and everything looks good. The cover was on the boat, so unsnapped the cover and was HORRIFIED...

rats had apparently gotten into the boat somehow (with the cover on) and chewed holes in the vinyl in 3 places that i couold immediatly see ... one hole was about 2x2 inches with the foam removed as well ...

im so pissed that i cant even see straight right now! I dont even allow people to wear their shoes in my boat and the thought of rats destroying the interior disgusts me.

the storage facility is very clean and very nice... talked to the owner and he said he hadnt recieved any other complaints, but he would meet me on friday to put out poison and show me some options to move my boat to another unit (since my current unit is on the end closest to a resevoir)...

anyone have this happen to them?
what kind of options / costs am i looking at?

too mad to take pics... maybe i will do that on friday and post.

im on the northeast side of houston if anyone knows of any good boat vinyl guys...

Razzman
11-25-2009, 05:56 PM
That really sucks. I've heard of that happening before but never knew anyone that it happened to. What year is the boat? If you want it retain the vinyl match you're going to have to order skins to match from the dealer if still available. It is possible an upholsterer could get the same vinyl if still made to match and you'd never know it happened. I had three bottom cushions redone in my old boat three years back and it cost me around $75 a cushion.

adsman
11-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks razzman... It's an 07lsv with white interior

Razzman
11-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Definately chech with the dealer and maybe SC as well, i'll bet '07 skins are still available. With the hull ID number they'll know the interior colors and can match. All you'd need to do is get an upholsterer to change 'em out.

Razzman
11-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Oh yeah, when rodents do that it generally means they're using the materials to build a nest. I'd look through the boat REAL thorough to make sure it's not in there. Also check all your wiring, a neighbor had a rat get in the engine bay of his truck once and ate up some wire, thing wouldn't start!

adsman
11-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks... Looking forward to my 100 point inspection onblack Friday... Gonna be dressed like john candy in the great outdoors!

moombadaze
11-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Had a rodent of somekind in a older boat--ate some fuel lines and wires----check ever inch as much as possible

jester
11-25-2009, 09:00 PM
I know this might be a lot of work but i would run water from the ski locker hole to make sure one is not hidding out in there. Also rats love cables. I have this problem all the time at work where the rats eat the data cables.

cab13367
11-26-2009, 03:40 AM
Really sorry to hear that adsman. Wouldn't the owner of the storage unit be liable for this?

wolfeman131
11-26-2009, 10:00 AM
Aw, that does suck. Sorry to hear.

I agree with others that you're going to need to check out as much as you can because those dang things chew ans eat everything. The squirrels (i.e. rats w/ fuzzy tails) get in our boathouse. Chewed the bimini boot last summer. I shot those suckers every chance I get. Built a special .22 rifle with high power scope & silencer to pick 'em off.

mmandley
11-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Really sorry to hear that adsman. Wouldn't the owner of the storage unit be liable for this?

No from what i understand only when the storage unit is completly indoors, like in a building. The units outside only have insurance to cover fire and storm damage. Even theft isn't generally covered by storage company. You insurance might cover it.

My mom had the same thing happen in 2K she moved from Texas back to AZ and she had all her stuff in a storage unit there, the foundation shifted, floor cracked and rats got in and ate her stuff up the same as Ad's boat.

Storage company wasn't liable even though there foundation failed.

Razzman
11-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Hey i'm with Wolfman! I have a .20 caliber Sheridan air rifle that sounds like a .22, so i built a po mans silencer using a plastic water bottle and stuffing. Quieted right down, now i can pick off gophers and mice while kicking it on the patio! Yeah Baby! :D

adsman
11-26-2009, 12:27 PM
The storage unit is not liable... All on my insurance .... Doubt the damage will meet my deductable (of course even if it did, I'm sure they'd enforce the act of god clause to deny my claim!)....

I will get the boat cleaned up and the vinyl repaired, but I am looking for suggestions on deterence... Not sure camping out in the storage unit with a shotgun is feasable... Even though it would give me great satisfaction...

As you can imagine there are all kinds of home remedies and products out there for pest control... Anyone have success with anything?

I've seen references for:

sonic deterents
sticky pads
old faithful snap traps
poison
ammonia
peppermint
fabric softner sheets
mothballs

Being that I am in a rage and will spend anything to prevent this from happening again, including a new cover for the boat (since the cockpit and tonneau combo may be to easy to break into)... I am open to suggestions... The thought of building an addition onto my garage had also crossed my mind :/

Razzman
11-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Do a search for "myths" on the deterrance for rats, you'll find some of those are just that.

I can vouch for the sticky sheets made for that purpose, they do work but you'd need a lot of them to surround the boat!

moombadaze
11-26-2009, 01:44 PM
one skinning hungry cat should do the trick

Sled491
11-26-2009, 02:13 PM
We got some stuff from a neighbour at the lake to get rid of a field mouse problem we had. First day all 10 packs were gone. Next day not one pack touched, mouse problem gone. Did have to pick of one or two with my sons BB gun, but heck we all need practice.

Adsman that just sucks, sorry to hear, I hope they didn't get into your wiring like others have mentioned, then the fun will begin

Wolfman did you get that silencer from your buddy you were telling me about before?

Oh yeah and last time I checked squirrels fall under small game and with the proper license are legal game.

Razzman
11-26-2009, 02:15 PM

That's what i got, actually i have two "hunters" ... Motivation is the biggest problem it seems! :p They actually do a great job of keeping pests away.

Sled491
11-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Aw, that does suck. Sorry to hear.

I agree with others that you're going to need to check out as much as you can because those dang things chew ans eat everything. The squirrels (i.e. rats w/ fuzzy tails) get in our boathouse. Chewed the bimini boot last summer. I shot those suckers every chance I get. Built a special .22 rifle with high power scope & silencer to pick 'em off.

Doesn't say anything here about location or time of year, just weapon of choice:D

Razzman
11-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Watch what you name those killing machines!

Sled491
11-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Watch what you name those killing machines!

Razz, Funny :D

TahitiVC
11-26-2009, 03:56 PM
They do work for mice at least. My folks have a 66 Chevelle SS396 and they were starting to get some mice in the motor compartment and trunk. Dad put a bunch of moth balls in tuperware bowls in the trunk under the hood and in the interior. the mice never came back. Sucks it happen to you. Hope you can get it fixed soon.

Ian Brantford
11-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Back when the sonic deterrents had only been on the market for a couple of years, I saw a review of them. The result was that they worked for a week or two, but then the rodents came back.

Similarly for moth balls and other fast-evaporating substances, they only work for a matter of weeks at most.

I had good luck with deterring squirrels from my SUV (they used it for pinecone storage) with a cayenne-based powder from the hardware store. It only lasts for a couple of weeks in the open (simply by being blown or washed away), but should last for months in a sheltered area like a storage building.

wolfeman131
11-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I was bored out of my mind one night in a hotel room and while channel surfing, landed on a show called, "Verminators" or something like that. They said these were the best rat traps.

http://http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/trapper-trex-rat-trap-p-95.html
BTW - my neighbor owns this company.

Sled, all of my silencers have come from my friend's company, Advanced Armament. The great thing about silenced weapons is that people don't know when you shoot it.

Regardless, this is from the Georgia Department of Natural Resources website regarding squirrels: "Trapping or shooting squirrels are effective nuisance management strategies. Contact a Wildlife Resources Division Game Management office to see if a permit is required." I checked with the local office and since the squirrels have damaged/destroyed my property, they are defined as a "nuisance" and no permit is required. Same goes for armadillos and opossum.

Here's your sign
http://www.airgunhunters.com/images/dan_squirrel3.JPG

moombadaze
11-27-2009, 08:16 AM
Nice shot. Those fuzzy tailed rats can do some serious damage.

jmvotto
11-27-2009, 08:20 AM
moth balls and rat poison ( decon, etc)

adsman
11-27-2009, 01:20 PM
not for the skweemish...

you da man
11-27-2009, 02:17 PM

But the cat may do more damage to the interior...had that happen to my bass boat years ago (may the cat RIP)

adsman
11-27-2009, 03:34 PM
I believe you Ed! I had a mortician living in my basement during college... He gave me the behind the scenes tour at the funeral home... Hats off to people that serve in that neccessary business... We used to joke that whenever his pager went off it meant another angel got it's wings!

In the spirit of thanksgiving, I should be thankful that this is the most sqweemish thing I have to deal with in my life... Other than this, everything is a1 ok!

skiyaker
11-27-2009, 06:59 PM
In the spirit of thanksgiving, I should be thankful that this is the most sqweemish thing I have to deal with in my life... Other than this, everything is a1 ok!

amen to that- but still that's a beautiful boat you have there and what happened is a shame

zabooda
11-28-2009, 02:08 PM
Take the seats out and take them to an upholsterer as they can do a perfect match and upgrade to a better vinyl than SC uses. Indoors, you should have your drain plug in and the exhaust vents taped shut. I would put poison boxes in your boat and deal with cleaning the varmints out than to deal with repairs. I would attempt to get restitution for the repairs and other possible issues when you dewinterize. Good lesson for us all and that is entry points need to be closed off when in storage. I leave mine outdoors so I put a board over the drain hole at the bottom of the bilge with a weight on top so in the unlikely event the cover leaks the water can drain but no varments can get inside. I wish you the best and you have some time to check things out.

zabooda
11-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Ed,
The Bobcat urine is expensive. They say the big cost is the training they give to the Bobcats to pee in a bottle.

jclevoy
12-01-2009, 01:53 PM
I have heard that if you place a dozen "dryer sheets" in you boat in various strategic places, it will deter rodents. I have never tried it myself. I am so sorry about your loss. I would be just sick also.

I have a 4wd Rhino that was stored in a similar place under a cover. The D@$%^ little pests chewed one of the seatbelts nearly in two.

EDIT: I was so sick about this post that I went up and checked my boat, placed new dryer sheets in it. Now I am off to get some rat poison

kaneboats
12-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Dang, sorry to hear about this. Them squirrels are good eatin' but rat is a little greasy if you ask me.

adsman
12-02-2009, 01:38 PM
waiting to hear back from my insurance company if the damage is even covered.... stay tuned...

Sled491
12-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Ii would think that if you have comprehensive coverage you should be good to go. Just goes to show bad things can happen to beautiful boats!

kaneboats
12-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Yea, the comprehensive is pretty much an all risk coverage. Don't let them push you around. But they shouldn't as, in the big picture, this is a small claim to them.

04OUTBACK
12-03-2009, 09:09 PM
BTW,
I work for a Manufacturer of AirGuns! If anyone needs "RatKillas"

Razz, Good call on the Sheridan..
We make some new ones that are very quiet!

Adsman, that makes me sick..and makes me worry too!

jmvotto
12-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Brad, can you get to your boat. I know i can't.

getting ready to snowboard yet.

Western NY getting snow tonight:D

04OUTBACK
12-05-2009, 01:05 PM
JV
Yes I can get to it with a little notice..
No SNOW. Yeah, we have been going to snowboard lessons at Ski Company.. was hoping to get out this weekend :-(

If ya'll head to Bristol any, give us a buzz.. we're hoping to get there a bunch!!!

adsman
12-08-2009, 10:52 AM
sooo... if i end up having to replace all of the carpet in the boat, are there any options that I need to be aware of that are better than OEM carpet? or snap in.... or rhino line it etc (j/k)...

Razzman
12-08-2009, 12:29 PM
There are lots of different styles, types and quality of marine carpet. Be aware the stuff is real expensive. I yard of oem cost me $30! Do a search for marine carpet and you'll see what i mean.

Snap out is an option but again you'd have to have somebody make it for you, bind the edges and install the snaps. Again expensive.

I would not Rhino, Line-X or any such thing as you'll regret it, trust me. The stuff is murder on the feet and knees not to mention looks like garbage after a season. I know a few peeps who did that to swim platforms and hated it. It's brutal to try and remove once it's on there.

viking
12-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Skiers Choice does now offer a snap-in carpet.

Contact parts guru Anthony Cooper

[email protected]

Is that on all new 2010 models? or can you get it for past years?
Just wondering?

Sled491
12-08-2009, 02:33 PM
I agree snap out is a great option, however retrofitting might be as easy as it sounds. typically boats with snap out carpet have finished floors underneath. You might not find that under your current carpet. Not that SC cheaped out or anything, there would just be not need for it with a glue in carpet.

snowboardcorey
12-08-2009, 03:31 PM
I've seen some people install snap in carpet over the top of the existing glued in carpet, for the most part it is a pretty clean install. My only concern would be water getting trapped beneath the snap in layer and mildewing on the glued in carpet if you didnt remove the snap in carpet if the boat got wet.

The guy that bought my old CC tore out all the glued in carpet, it looked like a HUGE job but the end results were great.

snowboardcorey
12-08-2009, 04:33 PM
I figured my last post was worthless without a picture. Here's a shot of one of our customers boat with snap in carpet installed over the factory glued in carpet.

kaneboats
12-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Looks great. Guess you have to snap it out every time though. Knowing this probably keeps it nicer in the long run.

Sled491
12-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I think that looks pretty good actually.

Razzman
12-08-2009, 07:39 PM
It looks real good, but in his case it would just hide the damaged carpet and he still wants to repair that first in some way.

adsman
12-08-2009, 07:43 PM
as i move forward with repairs... does anyone know if my local moomba dealer is capable of all of the repairs (ie carpet replace and vinyl work) ... im sure they will be the priciest, but if the insurance is covering it...

snowboardcorey
12-09-2009, 10:40 AM
As a dealer we could get it done but for spot on interior work we usually recommend a local upholstry shop as they are the real pros when it comes to this kind of work. If your carpet goes under some of the decking/seat base fixtures it will likely be a colaboration of people working on it. We trust the seat guys to do the seats but not to split the hull and deck, thats something were only comfortable doing ourselves.

Sled491
12-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I would agree, the pros would be your local upohelsty shop.

moombadaze
12-09-2009, 10:57 AM
For what happened i would think your dealer would be the best and they could sublet out what they cant do

adsman
12-11-2009, 11:32 AM
fyi ... Talked to my dealer (Rinkers Boat World in Houston) and they were SUPER HELPFUL. They will be able to handle all of the repairs.

RobertJ
12-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Adsman, that is great news.

My dealer Active Water Sports, Portland, Oregon (AWS) could do all the work as well it is nice to know that the SC dealer network is strong and full of full service dealerships from coast to coast.

Good luck.

deerfield
12-11-2009, 01:28 PM
We got at least two full service Skiers Choice dealerships here in the Midwest. One is Lauderdale Lakes Marina in Elkhart, Wisconsin. The other is Ultimate Wake Watersports in Volo, Illinois. Ultimate Wake sponsored the 2009, 2008, and 2007 Chicago area jamborees.

adsman
12-11-2009, 04:56 PM
fyi ... Talked to my dealer (Rinkers Boat World in Houston) and they were SUPER HELPFUL. They will be able to handle all of the repairs.

i was talking to the service guy at my dealer and he said to replace the carpet is a real b!tch because the carpet is installed before they join the hull (or something like that)... and they would definatly not outsource it because it requires alot of expertise... not a dyi'r project i guess

snowboardcorey
12-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Splitting the deck and hull is pretty time consuming and obviously you want to do it once but for the most part its a pretty straight forward job. We've done it a couple of times here for various reasons, it's kind of cool to see the "inside" of the boat, gives you a better idea of how they are put together.

adsman
02-02-2010, 04:26 PM
UPDATE:

thought i'd give everyone an update this:

Just got my damage survey back from the marine adjuster that inspected my boat a few weeks ago.

Replace All Carpet
Replace all cushions that have damage
Replace anything that had a chew mark on it (ballast fittings, first aid kit etc)
Complete wiring inspection
Complete Boat Cleaning and Detailing inside and out

total $4,700

moombadaze
02-02-2010, 05:01 PM
And done before the season starts?

Wow--amazing amount of damage those little critters can do.

adsman
02-02-2010, 05:12 PM
And done before the season starts?

the main thing that will take the longest is waiting for the parts from MOOMBA.... good thing is that the dealer is not going to take the boat until all of the parts are in... guessing once they are in, it will only be a couple days to complete the work.

Sled491
02-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Wow, bet ya that turns you into a hard core varmit hunter :D