PDA

View Full Version : retrieving boat to trailer advice needed

jdalebroux
05-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Does anyone else have this problem? I typically power the boat on the trailer with the tops of the fenders just above the water level. It goes up to the roller fairly easily, where my wife clips the winch and tightens it. Looks perfect, but almost every time I pull the rig out of the water, the boat slides back an inch or so on the trailer. Should I be doing something different?

csaj4506
05-16-2004, 10:42 PM
I have had the same problem. I found that if I do not put the trailer in the water as deep it positions the boat better and it does not slip back as I pull out. An inch can make a big difference.

05-17-2004, 11:46 AM
Just bought a 2004 Outback LS and have had the same thing occur during every load. I'm glad to see it was not just me, I'll keep going with the trial and error thing.

MartyC
05-17-2004, 05:07 PM
I had this problem when I would try to power the boat all the way on the trailer. Now I only power it up to within a foot or two. I use the winch for the last foot or so. It takes a little muscle but the boat does not move when I pull out. I then loosen the strap a little bit while it sits in the garage. Probably just being anal but I don't figure it is good for that bow eye to be under that much pressure all the time.

bluoval
05-17-2004, 08:31 PM
I had a similar problem, but I fixed it a different way than the rest of you. I just gave the truck a little touch on the gas and hit the brakes and it would seat perfectly. I know this is not the most conventional way but I was very careful not to slam my boat into the front of the trailer. Also I heard spraying a little silicone spray on the bunks will aid in the ability of the boat to go onto the trailer all the way. The last thing you want to do is have to power your boat onto the trailer and then risk getting the water inlet out of the water. OOOOHHH so bad.