PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl care recommendations from the manufacturer

brain_rinse
11-24-2009, 11:52 PM
I found an online link to the vinyl care leaflet included with the owners manual. I thought this was worth sharing since the topic seems to come up quite often. Obviously there are plenty of non-approved cleaners that are perfectly safe, and I'll admit to using some myself. But what I don't want to see happen is people using products explicitly called out as harmful to the vinyl.

Lots of good info at the link below, but in case you're short on time...
Never use abrasives, solvents, and silicone based products. Rinse with water after cleaning. Protect with 303 after cleaning.

Hope this helps!
http://www.lenscove.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=ZxEv3vr%2B1%2Fs%3D&tabid=149&mid=516&forcedownload=true

squeeg333
11-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Nice post! I have this leaflet sitting on my workbench for the little reminders and hints to tackle the tough jobs. Unfortunatly, the link on the leadleft doesn't work anymore. I thought I'd be able to go there, and pick up some of the products that they make, or at least get further information on the vinyl. But, nothing. Google couldn't even find it!! Now that's serious!!

I did notice that on my new-to-me 08 LSV, there are several spots on the vinyl that feel hard. It doesn't look obvious that it was cleaned at any point, but I just thought it was strange that some of the vinyl was sitll nice and supple, and some was pretty hard. Not cracking yet, but I kind of expect it. I protect he heck out of it myself, but there's no telling what the guy before me did... I figure they cleaned up some spills with a silicone based product....

viking
11-25-2009, 02:33 PM
I have my Leaflet in my boat as well!

Wish I would have thought of it about a week ago.............does anybody know where you can purchase the "hemisphere ink remover" noted in the brochure?

Wondering if it will work on leather? My wonderful 2 year old woke up last week and decided not to wake up my wife (as her tradition is to wake the whole neighborhood up). Instead she used the Leather sectional as her canvas with a red and a blue ball point pen. I'd have to say if I was 2 I'd be impressed with her work. But since I'm a bit older, work hard, and like nice stuff - I was not as quick to see her work as a masterpeice :(

At any rate - I'm still in search of something that can take Ink out of Leather. Maybe "hemisphere ink remover" will work (whatever that is)?

brain_rinse
02-03-2010, 12:06 AM
I was out of my standard vinyl cleaner so I checked the approved list and decided to give Fantastik a try. Yes, the kitchen cleaner, which cost $2 even at Walmart.

I really can't believe how well it worked... no comparison to any of the vinyl cleaners I've ever used. I followed with water as instructed, and then protected with 303. If anyone is looking for a cheap, readily available, extremely effective, and approved vinyl cleaner, I definitely recommend giving Fantastik a try.

Razzman
02-03-2010, 10:29 AM
This has been posted before but i'll repeat it again. What everyone needs to realize is that marine vinyls have UV inhibitors impregnated into the vinyl. Using ANYTHING other than what the manufacturer recommends to clean the vinyl can damage those inhibitors leading to vinyl breakdown and ultimately damage to the vinyl. The use of the wrong cleaner can also start a irreversable breaksown of the vinyl.

It's everyone's choice what to use but just let me relate this true story. A few years back Mastercraft and another large builder (can't remember which one) isued a statement that any use of harsh chemicals to clean vinyl, and Fantastik was specifically mentioned, voids the warrenty. All because of interior warrenty claims. There was a big flap and MC prevailed because cleaners other than approved were used.

I know some have said Fantastik is on some kind of approved list but i would think twice about it.

phospher
02-03-2010, 11:04 AM
i've been using a mequirs product for a few years now. one word, amazing.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+CLEAN+16

moombadaze
02-03-2010, 11:35 AM
viking, Ive used babes seat soap on my microviber couch to remove stains that other cleaners didnt. might be worth a try

Razzman
02-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Babe's Seat Soap works very well, it's what i used along with Seat Saver. For the really tuff junk i'll use Malco then follow up with Seat Saver or 303.

Suprahunter
02-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Best I found for vinyl is Malco Leather and plastic Cleaner followed by 303.
The only problem is you will have to do the whole boat after you do a section
it makes the rest look dirty. I have also heard Fantastic will damage your vinyl.

brain_rinse
02-03-2010, 12:14 PM
This has been posted before but i'll repeat it again. What everyone needs to realize is that marine vinyls have UV inhibitors impregnated into the vinyl. Using ANYTHING other than what the manufacturer recommends to clean the vinyl can damage those inhibitors leading to vinyl breakdown and ultimately damage to the vinyl. The use of the wrong cleaner can also start a irreversable breaksown of the vinyl.

It's everyone's choice what to use but just let me relate this true story. A few years back Mastercraft and another large builder (can't remember which one) isued a statement that any use of harsh chemicals to clean vinyl, and Fantastik was specifically mentioned, voids the warrenty. All because of interior warrenty claims. There was a big flap and MC prevailed because cleaners other than approved were used.

I know some have said Fantastik is on some kind of approved list but i would think twice about it.
I agree 100% with everything you posted. In fact that's exactly why I posted this link from the manufacturer!

I hadn't heard about Fantastik and the MasterCraft issue. If you have any additional info or links I'd love to hear more.

I chose to give Fantastik a try since it is on the vinyl manufacturers list of approved cleaners (see link in first post.) Given that, I am confident that any vinyl warranty issues due to Fantastik would be covered. That said, if it's been proven to cause issues with other vinyl, it's not worth the risk.

Razzman
02-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Well after doing some research it seems that Fantastik had re-formulated their cleaner a few years back and it's now safe to use, so i stand corrected.

you da man
02-03-2010, 01:29 PM
everyone on Wakeworld raves about Malco. Is Malco friendly to Moomba vinyl?

Razzman
02-03-2010, 10:55 PM
It's freindly to all vinyl, Malco (http://www.malcopro.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=141&category_id=44&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=758) has been making it for years it turns out and been supplying the auto detail industry for at least 20. I talked to a Malco rep at the facility and he said it's also been used on boats for awhile as well.

You do have to be careful with it and I rinse with water right after and only use it when neccessary. I instructions state "do not let run, wipe drips immediately". It does however restore dirty vinyl and thread to as new condition. I also checked the contents to make sure there was nothing harmful in it.

you da man
02-04-2010, 12:35 AM
It's freindly to all vinyl, Malco (http://www.malcopro.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=141&category_id=44&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=758) has been making it for years it turns out and been supplying the auto detail industry for at least 20. I talked to a Malco rep at the facility and he said it's also been used on boats for awhile as well.

You do have to be careful with it and I rinse with water right after and only use it when neccessary. I instructions state "do not let run, wipe drips immediately". It does however restore dirty vinyl and thread to as new condition. I also checked the contents to make sure there was nothing harmful in it.

I planned on using the Malco a few times per year for a "good" cleaning. Then maybe use Babe's Seat Soap followed by 303 for general cleaning.