PDA

View Full Version : Evolution covers group buy ?

moombadaze
11-24-2009, 01:51 PM
Back a little while ago there was a group buy for there covers, did it happen? and if so are you happy with the cover? have you used it for towing yet? Im back to a position where in the spring I should be able to get one and still looking for a little feedback.

thanks

wake08
11-24-2009, 02:07 PM
I am in the same "boat" and would like a new cover. The covers look pretty quality from their website.

yager97
11-24-2009, 08:44 PM
ya ill be lookin to buy a cover too in the spring. i was thinking about gettin an evolution cover

jjolson
11-24-2009, 09:06 PM
I would be possibly in depending on price. Hopefully they will do better than 10% off.

rvette
11-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Moombadaze- yes the group buy did happen. because it happened so late in the season and I have the boat in storage, I did not put the cover on the boat. I did however open the box and look at it. The quality looks excellent and I can't wait to put it on and not have to use the poles.
You may want to check with one of the other 3 who particpated to see how theirs turned out and their comments.
Rvette

skiyaker
12-20-2009, 09:48 PM
I too am pondering an evolution cover- any pics and thoughts from those who have one would be appreciated;

Mabel Lake XLV
12-21-2009, 01:53 PM
I also took part in the group buy but I'm in the same boat as rvette - purchased late in the year and haven't been able to use it yet. I will say that Evolution was excellent to work with. I requested that my cover be shipped to Montana as I was planning to be in the area and would save substantially on shipping to Canada. Cory went out of his way to contact a business in Montana who would take possession of the cover until I got there. Very impressed with the customer service!

PWO
12-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Here are a few pics of mine. It's a really nice quality and very easy to put on. I received a few compliments from the guys at the dealer where I had the boat winterized.

Cory was very helpful during the process. I had mentioned shortly after submitting my order that I was going to be needing it soon (close to the normal lead time, but enough time). When I called back a few days before needing it, the cover had just been finished but wouldn't have been delivered in time. He ate a small shipping upgrade and I got the cover a day before I needed it. He's also very supportive of his product and customers and goes out of his way to make sure you know what you need to.

After putting it on I seemed to be getting a little water in the bow during rain. I had sent Cory some pictures to ensure everything was correct, and we were thinking perhaps it was related to the attitude of the boat (it was slightly sloped to bow). I was going to ensure the bow was raised as much as I could, but as an extra precaution he sent me a bottle of 303 to re-waterproof the fabric. If that wasn't it he'd take the cover back for evaluation.

Since then the boat's been in storage so I'll have to test it in the spring.

moombadaze
12-22-2009, 08:37 AM
pwo, thanks for sharing some pictures---looks nice

moombadaze
12-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Ed, being able to tow the boat with the cover on is the big advantage. factory cover is not recomended for towing

moombadaze
12-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Very good question and dont have a answer.

yager97
12-22-2009, 01:53 PM
any idea what the OEM cover would cost?

yager97
12-22-2009, 02:13 PM
500 sounds better than 900. Thanks Ed will contact sometime after christmas when I have money again.

moombadaze
12-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Ed, no straps huh, must have been a upgrade over the 08 covers as mine has straps going to the trailer. As it is the 08 is so much nicer and fits alot better than the cover on my 03.

Guess the question is are the 09 factory covers trailerable covers?

skiyaker
12-22-2009, 10:53 PM
alright I'll be the first to admit that I've trailered with the 08 logo cover even though the owners manual states SC won't be held responsible for any damage caused by it. Here's a pic- you can see the main modification I was advised to make by another wise moomba owner was to add some padding to the straps on the side so they don't damage the gel coat. I did this before I learned I wasn't supposed to, but I'll admit to doing it again since. Where I live it's basically a risk/benefit calculation between potential damage caused by the cover vs. some jerk tossing a cigarette butt in the boat or something. I've not done it at highway speeds for very far.

Having said that, I'm planning to trailer my boat quite a bit next summer at interstate speeds, and from the pics it looks like the evolution cover is designed better for this in terms of reinforcement. I think it would only take a small tear in a seam at high speeds to shred the cover and cause some significant damage and nobody at moomba or great lake boat tops (manufacturer of my 08 cover) will tell me my current cover will withstand high speed trailering.

moombadaze
12-23-2009, 08:07 AM
For me it seams every time I head out of state with boat in tow I get stuck driving thru a monsoon down poor of rain and with the interior being white its just a pain in the ass having to clean it up when I get there vrs uncovering and playing, and I do worry about some jackass tossin a lit sigarette into the boat. One last thing is I read that towing a covered boat also helps with fuel economy and with my truck it needs all the help it can get--9-10 mpg towing hurts.

viking
12-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Same Here Daze! We have alot of storms that roll in very abruptly and usually always when I'm heading home from the water. I have to tow anywhere I go to get on a lake so a tow cover is a must!

Any cover with support poles is going to say "NOT for Tow" on it as it would just be a matter of time before the pole is stuck through the cover or works it's way loose and then you have a cover flapping in the wind. You're either going to get a tear or it's going to wear on the gelcoat eventually. They don't stretch them tight enough to be of any use going down the road. You've got to remember that boat manufacturers make good boats - not good covers :)

Any aftermarket tow cover is going to have a very snug fit. I just had a local shop replicate the factory bow and mouring cover and it's stretched tight so no support poles needed. It also utilizes the factory snaps so no need to drill any extra holes in the boat. They also replaced the rubrail screws on the back with snap studs so works really slick. Easy to put on and off with one person, works just like factory, no straps, can use bow cover on water, cleat cutouts if need to use the cover when docked, and get anycolor you want. I did colormatch as I didn't want Black because it heats up so much in the summer.

Just my $.02!

For me it seams every time I head out of state with boat in tow I get stuck driving thru a monsoon down poor of rain and with the interior being white its just a pain in the ass having to clean it up when I get there vrs uncovering and playing, and I do worry about some jackass tossin a lit sigarette into the boat. One last thing is I read that towing a covered boat also helps with fuel economy and with my truck it needs all the help it can get--9-10 mpg towing hurts.