PDA

View Full Version : Stabil

mmandley
11-18-2009, 11:21 AM
I was wondering because i am going to need to do this very soon.

I still havnt winterized my boat yet. I know i can see the looks of shock, disbelief, and what the hell are you waiting fors? LOL

My garage is heated and even last week when we were below 30 my garage was a warm 47 degrees.

Anyhow i have drained all the water for the boat and done everything except put stabil in it.

Question is, should i put it in the fill the boat with fuel? Or fill the boat with fuel and then all Stabil?

I know some feel you need to add it then run the engine to let it circulate. I can see you thinking here because the 08 Fuel pumps are outside the tank. Being a Fuel injected engine the fuel system is under pressure all the time and i don't see how water is going to get in my fuel lines. I can start the boat and let it cycle if its realy needed. I would have to re-drain all the water again.

So do you think i need to add Stabil before or after fueling?

sandm
11-18-2009, 11:32 AM
I add it to the fuel after filling it up. I figure that the trip home will mix them completely. you're not trying to prevent moisture in the lines, as you stated they are pressurized, it's the tank where you will get the buildup. that's the logic behind filling it completely full.
I suppose that in the end, it really does not matter whether you add it first or last. end result will be the same.

moombadaze
11-18-2009, 11:42 AM
I add stabil and then fill it up with gas, as the gas enters the tank it helps mix it up

TahitiVC
11-18-2009, 11:55 AM
I always add it before the fuel that way it mixes as the fuel fills the tank. Filling the tank all the way prevents any air space for condensation to form and keeps water out of the fuel.

Razzman
11-18-2009, 12:00 PM
Same as 'Daze but make sure to run it for 10 minutes or so after adding to distribute the Stabil throughout the fuel system.

clarkro2
11-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Stabil or the Marine Formula Stabil? Think I'll fill er up this wknd and pull the batteries.

polar21
11-18-2009, 01:00 PM
I always put it in before filling up just to help with mixing it all together.

Anyone know the difference between Stabil and "Marine" Stabil, other than the marine version costs more $? Probably has to do with some advanced polarized centrifugal additive configuration that will magically make your engine run better. lol

Razzman
11-18-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm guessing it has something to do with boats used in salt water as there's a lot of stuff made "marine" that fits that criteria. I've always used regular Stabil without issue in fresh water.

DOCDRS
11-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Stabil helps prevent the degredation of fuel which begins immediately and can lead to a problem in gas 30 - 90 days later depending on quality of fuel. you want to run it through your entire fuel system to maximize its effectiveness. fuel sitting in bowls and small carb passage lines , injectors, etc . fuel allowing to sit will evapourate leaving gum deposits and plugging things.....its good prevention to add when fuel is going to sit longer than 60 days... so mix with gas and run for 10 mins

KT Mobius
11-18-2009, 02:29 PM
I just had my boat serviced at 25 hrs and I now have 50 hrs. I keep my boat in the garage. Do I have to winterize? My last boat was an I/o and I would winterize every other year.

SEARK
11-18-2009, 03:12 PM
I always add the sta-bil before filling the tank. I like to do it on my last outing of the year, that way I know it is run completly through the system. I know my tank is not full when I put it up for the winter, but I have not had a problem yet doing this. I keep mine in a simi-heated garage (meaning the dryer vents into it). In 3 years with this boat and 10 with my old Bayliner, not one problem starting out the next year.

Now that I've said that watch everything go wrong this spring.

polar21
11-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Dang Seark, you should not have said that. I would go and knock on some wood, carry a rabbits foot around, and keep a clover in your pocket

SEARK
11-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Nothing like jinxing yourself. :D

cab13367
11-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Stabil helps prevent the degredation of fuel which begins immediately and can lead to a problem in gas 30 - 90 days later depending on quality of fuel. you want to run it through your entire fuel system to maximize its effectiveness. fuel sitting in bowls and small carb passage lines , injectors, etc . fuel allowing to sit will evapourate leaving gum deposits and plugging things.....its good prevention to add when fuel is going to sit longer than 60 days... so mix with gas and run for 10 mins

doc,

This has always been my understanding so I add the Stabil before filling it up, then run the boat for a good 10-15 minutes on the river, then take her out and winterize her. This year, I was going to top off the gas tank on the way home so it's completely full to prevent condensation but forgot. Should not be a big deal though.

Al

Razzman
11-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Al, poly/plastic gas tanks generally won't build condensation so i wouldn't worry too much. The issue was more with older boats with the steel or aluminum tanks.

KT Mobius, yes you should winterize even if your in a heated garage. I wouldn't exactly call a dryer vented garage heated, unless of course that dryer is running 24/7! Beyond that you don't want water sitting in your block, manifolds & Vdrive. It's only promoting rust by doing that. It takes a whole 15 minutes to drain. I know a guy that justifies the same and guess what, he rusted out his manifolds in five years! His justification cost him over $600!