PDA

View Full Version : Weird thing happened today

polar21
11-13-2009, 08:25 PM
I have a 99 outback and today decided to take out the boat for a little while to get in a couple hours riding. Since I have a ghetto set-up to fill the fat sac, I chose to fill it up at the house and tow the boat down to the ramp (not to far, about 6-8 miles). I get the boat in the water and it doesnt want to crank. Try for about 15 minutes tinkering with everything I could think of and still a no go. I load the boat back onto the trailer and head to the house. When I get back to the house and the boat put away, I decided to give it one more try. I hooked the water hose up, turned the key, and BAM, fired right off. I am thinking to myself "you have to be kidding me" and so I let the engine warm up, shut it off, crank it back up, and it fires right up again. Its dark at this point so I didnt take it back down to the water. So, my question is: Did the fat sac in the back of the boat have anything to do with the motor not cranking?

Sled491
11-13-2009, 09:20 PM
I highly doubt it, but stanger things have happened.

DOCDRS
11-14-2009, 01:33 AM
more info.....did the motor not crank over as in dead battery, or it cranked and did not fire?...not sure what a ghetto set up is? Guess i'm too old 48. Did you fill using your battery? then it had time to recharge on the way back from the ramp?

jjerrod
11-14-2009, 01:48 AM
probably had water in the gas and the drive home mixed the water and gas. Well i guess the drive to the lake should have mixed the gas tank as well. :confused:

viking
11-14-2009, 02:40 AM
sounds to me like one of those Twilight Events. Paranormal. Supernatural.
Don't think they are connected in any way shape or form!

mmandley
11-14-2009, 10:17 AM
I have a 99 outback and today decided to take out the boat for a little while to get in a couple hours riding. Since I have a ghetto set-up to fill the fat sac, I chose to fill it up at the house and tow the boat down to the ramp (not to far, about 6-8 miles). I get the boat in the water and it doesnt want to crank. Try for about 15 minutes tinkering with everything I could think of and still a no go. I load the boat back onto the trailer and head to the house. When I get back to the house and the boat put away, I decided to give it one more try. I hooked the water hose up, turned the key, and BAM, fired right off. I am thinking to myself "you have to be kidding me" and so I let the engine warm up, shut it off, crank it back up, and it fires right up again. Its dark at this point so I didnt take it back down to the water. So, my question is: Did the fat sac in the back of the boat have anything to do with the motor not cranking?

I blame it on Friday the 13th.

polar21
11-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses. The battery is fine. The engine would turn over but wouldnt fire off. It would act like it was going to crank and then quit. No biggie, I am going to put it in the water tom. and go ride for a while. I will blame this on Friday 13th and just be happy I didnt break anything.

Ed,
Your logic is the same thing I was thinkiing. Its possible the boat was leaning in such a way that the gas couldnt get to the motor.

viking
11-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the responses. The battery is fine. The engine would turn over but wouldnt fire off. It would act like it was going to crank and then quit. No biggie, I am going to put it in the water tom. and go ride for a while. I will blame this on Friday 13th and just be happy I didnt break anything.

Ed,
Your logic is the same thing I was thinkiing. Its possible the boat was leaning in such a way that the gas couldnt get to the motor.

Is the Gas Cap vented on the 99's as well? I think my Outback has the vented Cap. Maybe that wasn't working right or something? I've heard of little things like that happening and maybe just a new cap would solve the issue?

polar21
11-16-2009, 10:38 AM
I do not know where the vent is for the gas tank. On our fishing boat there is a vent coming out of the gunwale on the side of the boat the vents the gas, but on the Outback I am unsure of where the gas vent is. Does anyone know?

I took the boat out yesterday and didnt fill the ballast bags until I got the boat in the water and the motor cranked. It fired right up with no hiccups at all.

On a side note I wakeboarded for about 1.5hrs with only a couple of breaks in between. I am unbelievably sore today!

polar21
11-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Gotcha. Thanks Ed!

mmandley
11-16-2009, 12:35 PM
I do not know where the vent is for the gas tank. On our fishing boat there is a vent coming out of the gunwale on the side of the boat the vents the gas, but on the Outback I am unsure of where the gas vent is. Does anyone know?

I took the boat out yesterday and didnt fill the ballast bags until I got the boat in the water and the motor cranked. It fired right up with no hiccups at all.

On a side note I wakeboarded for about 1.5hrs with only a couple of breaks in between. I am unbelievably sore today!

This is why in the off season im working out at the gym. Doing lots of different things that use no weights over 25lbs. I use my own body weight for everything right now. Its called Core training. This will strengthen all those muscles so i can spend 2 days back to back wake boarding next season LOL. Plus for cardio im doing 3 to 5 miles every work day at the end of the day to help. Lost another 6lbs in 2 weeks so hope that keeps up and maybe ill be as skinny as Ed? Nope wont happen LOL Hes a lean mean Martha driving machine.

polar21
11-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Being "in-shape" can mean a ton of different things! I work out 2-3x a week, run 3 miles 5x a week, and play softball 2x a week. However, there are not many excersizes you can do to get in "wakeboarding" shape or water-sports shape other than just going out and doing it often, which is going to be my approach.

As far as the losing weight thing....it aint gonna happen for me. I am 6'0" 215 and I eat like i am an offensive lineman in the NFL! haha

polar21
11-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Oh, the softball comment has no bearing on the working-out part. I have seen some pretty "heavy" people play softball. LOL

mmandley
11-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Being "in-shape" can mean a ton of different things! I work out 2-3x a week, run 3 miles 5x a week, and play softball 2x a week. However, there are not many excersizes you can do to get in "wakeboarding" shape or water-sports shape other than just going out and doing it often, which is going to be my approach.

As far as the losing weight thing....it aint gonna happen for me. I am 6'0" 215 and I eat like i am an offensive lineman in the NFL! haha

Naa i wasnt meaning so much for the pain or sore from wake boarding. You cant prepare for that because its jsut the type of muscles and the falls you take that make you sore.

I guess i presented it wrong, i meant more for the losing weight, weighing less means less work for your muscles to hold you up and onto the rope. Also the better shape means i wont be so exhausted the next day, My gol is to get to 200. I was 300 9months ago and ive been holding at 335 for some time.

But i am built like a lineman. Im naturally a pretty big guy. When i get to 200 i will be very lean looking. Hopefully ill have the stamina to wake board a lot more next year.