PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Seam?

viking
11-11-2009, 01:22 PM
For those of you that have already used your "cahoonies" to drill/screw into the bottom seam of your boat............is this what your talking about?

I want to attach an amp board in the storage compartment as well as some netting on the sides of the boat.

How thick is it and what size screws are you using? I'm hesitant as hell to do it and thinking I should epoxy some HDPE instead and screw into that? Just don't want to go through :(

Razzman
11-11-2009, 03:04 PM
That would be the place and while its quite thick you do have to be very careful drilling there. Length of screws obviously depends on what your using to attach the amp(s) to. Being as your screwing into fiberglass and because the 'glass properties grip screws real tight you don't need to have long screws.

My material was 1/8" thick so i used 1/2" #8 stainless panhead screws. But i also cut away the carpet where i was attaching to the hull for a firm attachment. When doing this drill the hole two sizes smaller than the screw. Make sure you use a drill bit stop to limit drill depth so you don't have an accident!

Attach the top to the rubrail backing, it's about 1" thick. I attached at least four places top and bottom.

Mock it up, pre-drill for your amps, attach your backer and then your amps. Like i said i cut away carpet, attached the board and amps and then i carpeted around the amps to keep carpet away from the amp bottom for cooling. You can't even tell i did it.

Also check the archive for Newty's install, that's where i got the idea to do it that way.

cab13367
11-11-2009, 04:13 PM
I am going to be doing the same thing but I am mounting the amp rack on the other side of that rectangular, vertical chaise. That way, it's completely out of the way and does not take up any usable space. It's also right next to the batteries. The place where you have yours mounted, that where I store the kids tube (defalted and rolled up tight) - up against that wall.

What do you use for a "drill stop"? I usually just wrap a piece of tape around the bit where I need to stop drilling and just drill real carefully. Is there a better way??

BTW, your amp board looks really good. Looks factory. I am going to use 1/2" seaboard (left over from my transom walk thru project) wrapped in factory carpet. I hope it ends up looking as good as yours.

Al

Razzman
11-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Al, either side works. If i remember right Newty has one on either side of the vertical support/air channel beam.

They are called drill bit stop collars and prevent the bit from going in too far.

cab13367
11-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Thanks razz, I've never seen those before. I'll pick up a set. Definitely a lot better than my masking tape method :) Think Home Depot has them?

Razzman
11-11-2009, 05:03 PM
I believe they do. If you have a Harbor Freight check there. I know for a fact Sears does.

viking
11-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Razzman,
do you know how thick the seam is once you've cut the carpet out and drill. Is it 1/2inch or 3/4? Just want to make sure I only go in about 1/3 of the way to be safe! And I'll be getting some of those stops!

Cab,
Where did you buy your Seaboard/Starboard/HDPE (whatever you call it)? I need some for the amp board and possibly use it in my footrest cutout as well.

Razzman
11-11-2009, 06:21 PM
If i remember right it's between 3/4" to 1" thick, it's pretty beefy.

viking
11-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Al, either side works. If i remember right Newty has one on either side of the vertical support/air channel beam.

They are called drill bit stop collars and prevent the bit from going in too far.

Harbour Freight does have them. Picked up a set for about $3 yesterday. Along with the $10 trickle charger.
Thanks for the info. Razzman!

Starboard/HDPE - where to buy?