PDA

View Full Version : Winterize with an air compressor?

bamaspiveys
11-10-2009, 09:27 PM
I winterize my RV by hooking up my air compressor to the water inlet valve and blowing all the water out of the lines.

Is there any reason this would not work on my outback?

I would hook up after the impeller, no point in spinning it over with air.

Thoughts?

moombadaze
11-10-2009, 09:32 PM
try it, and then pull the freeze plug bolts and see how much water you get out--better safe than sorry doing it the first time. Personally I always thought a vacum would be better as it would pull water out

DOCDRS
11-11-2009, 12:22 AM
someone can correct me if i am wrong , but the thermostat should not be open until the engine is up to 160+ so the block, heater, shower will not be blown out. nice try tho. it only takes 4 minutes to remove the block plugs , j hose and exhaust mani hose so why bother with the compressor?

jmo

DOCDRS
11-11-2009, 12:56 AM
when I lived in Central Washington and boat was stored in an unheated storage space - I did the air compressor route - it worked - I pulled the plugs, blew out what I could & jammed the impeller with vasoline and covered with plastic - no adverse impacts - in spring I put in the plugs and the boat, installed the impeller cover and the boat fired right off with no issues and it ran great all season - no problems - I lowered the psi and gradually increased it to no more then 40 lbs - I let it eat for about 5-10 minutes. it was a DD outback. my only focus was to clear the water out of the engine - I also threw a few towels over the engine before I closed it in for the winter... not certain what you've got for options (heater/shower) but you get the idea

where did you hook the compressor up to?

bamaspiveys
11-11-2009, 09:33 PM
I like the idea of blowing it out then removing the plugs to see how much water comes out.

Fman
11-14-2009, 12:31 AM
I used my compressor to blow out my heater lines and it worked great, its the only way to get all the water out of the heater system.