PDA

View Full Version : Winterize problem

jester
11-09-2009, 06:37 PM
I did Cab's winterize process and ran into two problems. One was getting the impller out. Does anyone have a good trick in getting it out?

The second problem was on step 8. I could not break the square bolts free. I blew air thru the transmition until all the water that was atleast in the hoses came out. Will this be enougth or do i need to work harder to get the bolts off?

cab13367
11-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Jester,

I spray silicone onto the impeller thru the hose barbs on the water pump, then bump the engine for a second to lubricate it real good. Then I use needle nose vise grips to gently grab the impeller. Carefully put one jaw between two of the vanes and the other down the middle of the impeller and squeaze carefully. I don't actually lock the vise grip onto the impeller so as not to damage it. The vise grip keeps the jaws parallel so the full length of the jaws are gripping the impeller. I've done it this way a couple times now and it comes right out.

Not sure what to tell you on the v-plug drains. Did you try using a closed end wrench and putting a little cheater bar on it? The one on the back side is where the water actually comes out of. The one on the front is a vent hole and I never get any water out of it.

Al

squeeg333
11-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Jester, I can across the same issue with the impeller. It's a very tight fit on the splined shaft. I've heard of several guys spraying some lubricant in the impellar and bumping the engine to help get it out. I had success with using some small needle nose vice grips. They tend to mark the impeller rubber slighly, but I don't think enough that would keep you from re-using it. I found, after the fact, impeller pullers on-line. They run 60 to 70 bucks, but probably worth it if it makes the job easier. Since I will be pulling mine every season, unless I find a better way than vice grips, I think I'll drop the dough.

The square plugs... yeh, they were a bear to get out. I finally got them, but in my opinion they aren't totally necessary to remove. If you just blow air thru, you should be fine. The amount of cooling water that goes thru the v-drive is quite small, and I think that if you were to just blow air thru, you'd be fine. If you wanted, you could remove the top cover-plate of the v-drive (6 hex head screws I think). This gains you access to the same cooling water chamber as you are blowing water thru. You can then suck it out. Either way should be more than adequate if those plugs don't want to budge.

Hope that helps!

squeeg333
11-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Woa... yeh... what Cab said!!!

jester
11-22-2009, 05:15 PM
Ok so i have failed again. I have tryed the spray and using needle nose vice grips with no luck. I have given up on keeping the impeller for two seasons and just gripped it with the needle nose vice grips and the dang thing will still not even move a little. Any help would be great.

DOCDRS
11-22-2009, 07:53 PM
did you spray lube on the rubber vanes and the interior metal spline?

jester
11-22-2009, 08:38 PM
It has lub all over. Any part that i could spray it got it. Then i bumped the engine so it could work its way all around.

mcdye
11-22-2009, 09:20 PM
I sprayed mine with wd40 bumped it few times, used paint can openers, working on different sides, then it slid out. You might have to look into getting the removal tool.

04OUTBACK
11-23-2009, 08:37 PM
take the bolts of the support arms that hold the impeller housing off.. that will allow that housing to spin freely.. you can rock it back and forth while pulling on the impeller.. works for me!

jester
11-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Well the bolts do not want to come off at all. I am going to break down and buy an impeller puller. After looking for them i noticed there is are a few differnt options. Does anyone know the size needed? Below are the links from amazon. Also does anyone know the part number for the Impeller for a 08 OBV? Thank you guys for all of your help.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O8B1SS/ref=asc_df_B000O8B1SS969822?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000O8B1SS

http://www.amazon.com/Jabsco-50070-0080-Impeller-Compact-Diameter/dp/B000O8D2Z8/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_text_c