PDA

View Full Version : 2005 mobius xlv burning oil

yotaismygame
11-03-2009, 12:44 AM
My 05 mobius was buring a good amount of oil twords the end of the season this year. Took it in to get winterized and the mechanic said nothing seemed wrong, could end up needed a new motor. so the rings or something would be going right? He said go ahead and take it out a few times next season and see what happens. Any ways. The boat only has 150 hrs on it. If indeed the motor is going isnt that very odd considering the hours? Just bought the boat this May(09)

DOCDRS
11-03-2009, 01:23 AM
thats very few hours, did you transfer the warrantee, talk to your car mechanic, maybe its rings , but i'm no mechanic. i would think maybe it may show on a plug, is there a lot of smoke? engine nut larry is the guy you need to hear from. maybe he will chime in

is there oil in the bilge, is the compression good, has the performance changed, is there smoke
i assume everything was fine when you bought it , how many hours did you put on it ,lots more info you can supply

zabooda
11-03-2009, 01:28 AM
It sounds like both you and the mechanic aren't concerned about the engine having issues. I would have had the engine checked out before winterizing so I can sleep better over the winter and not have to stand in line next year waiting for an engine to be fixed. Running the boat a few times won't do anything different than running it a few times before it got winterized. 150 hours is a lot of hours if the engine wasn't broken in correctly and properly maintained.

sailing217
11-03-2009, 09:06 AM
I'd do what DocDRS suggested with all the tests and replace the plugs.

I had a similar with my engine at 35hrs. We changed the filter and oil to amsoil (after doing all those tests and look for oil in the bilge) and I've been running fine since.

Good luck

mmandley
11-03-2009, 01:10 PM
My 05 mobius was buring a good amount of oil twords the end of the season this year. Took it in to get winterized and the mechanic said nothing seemed wrong, could end up needed a new motor. so the rings or something would be going right? He said go ahead and take it out a few times next season and see what happens. Any ways. The boat only has 150 hrs on it. If indeed the motor is going isnt that very odd considering the hours? Just bought the boat this May(09)

2 common places to get your burning oil problem is leaking rings, and or valve seals.

To check the rings you need to perform a cyclinder compression test. Pretty simple costs about 20 or 30 bucks for the gauge at any auto parts store.

1. remove all the plugs.
2. Carb on your engine id assume? You need the throttle open all the way.
3. Fuel injection? You need the throttle body open all the way and also Disconnect the engine computer.
4. Both carb and Fuel injection you need to disable the spark, take the center distributor cable off and grond it someplace safe out of your way. Dont just unplug it and let it lie there, the energy from a spark needs to go someplace, if you leave it laying there then it can build and cause damage to the cable, or the coil.
5. connect the compression gauge, it will have instructions with it.
6. Crank over the engine 4 or 5 revolutions you will see the gauge build with each revolution. Typically you should see around 140 to 200 psi on most V8s.
7. Record your pressure reading then release the pressure in the gauge and move to the next cylinder.
8. Do this for all cylinders. They should all be within 10 to 15% of each other. If you get a low cylinder then thats most likly where your bad rings are.
9. Want to confirm the bad rings? Squirt a little oil in that cylinder then retest it. The pressure should shoot right up.

If all this checks well and you want to test the Valve seals, its a little harder. Involves compressed air and knowing when the cylinder is on its combustion stroke. Basically you get the cylinder into combustion stroke and spray compressed air into the cylinder, you listen if the air if coming from the lower half of the engine or the top half.

Simpler test is start the engine, black smoke at idle and when you start to accelerate are signe of bad valve stem seals and needs the heads rebuild.

AaronWhitt82
11-04-2009, 01:20 AM

Are you sure it was burning oil? Did you go to the back of the boat and actually confirm the smell coming out of the exhaust was "oil burning?"
If it was towards the end of the season depending where you are and the water temps drop along with the air temp it's a good chance it could be creating steam.
With the warm exhaust coming out of the back and combining with the air/water it might make it look like it is smoking or burning oil.
Mine does it all the time when the air/water temps are cooler

If you absolutely think it is oil then take it back to the Dealer ASAP!!!!!