PDA

View Full Version : Changing raw water pump

nibots
11-02-2009, 01:22 PM
I was winterizing the boat yesterday and found the head of one of the brass bolts to the impeller cover in the bilge. I have a v drive and it is almost all I can do to get the cover off to change the impeller because of clearances.
Anybody have any tips or suggestions on getting the whole pump out so I can get the other half of the bolt out of the housing?
Thanks

mmandley
11-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Not sure i understand.

You found the missing bolt to your impeller housing in your bilge area?

Your having problems getting it back into the impeller housing?

As for getting the whole pump out id start with removing the engine bay cover. Just undo the strut and take the bolts right out of the hinges. Id make there alignments so its easy to reinstall and get lined up. This will allow you to work from behind the boat. I would even install the swim deck if your isnt on the boat as a place to kneel down on to make it more comfortable. You might have to even remove the muffler. Its a bolt on application. After that you should have a pretty open view of the front of the engine.

nibots
11-03-2009, 05:12 PM
The bolt is broken off in the pump housing. It apparently broke off sometime this past summer. About 3/4 of the threaded end is still in the housing so I have to get the pump off and either get the broken piece out with an easy out or install a new pump.

cab13367
11-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Which boat do u have? I tried to take the raw water pump off the first time I changed the impeller and it was not that hard to get to it. It was stuck to the pulley though and would not budge. I never did get it off.

Where did u have the boat winterized last year? Bet they broke the screw and never told u. That's rotten.

VA LSV
11-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Remove both hoses, 1 bolt to the bracket in the bottom of the pump & the 3 socket head screws holding the pump to the engine. Mine was tight the 1st time I removed it due to paint in the recess in the motor pulley. Took a little prying but it came off. Found it easier to pull the pump when winterizing vs trying to service the impeller with the pump on the motor. Remove the engine bay side covers for better access.

nibots
11-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Remove both hoses, 1 bolt to the bracket in the bottom of the pump & the 3 socket head screws holding the pump to the engine. Mine was tight the 1st time I removed it due to paint in the recess in the motor pulley. Took a little prying but it came off. Found it easier to pull the pump when winterizing vs trying to service the impeller with the pump on the motor. Remove the engine bay side covers for better access.

Thanks for the help.

cab13367
11-05-2009, 04:13 PM

You did better than me. I was beating on my water pump with a rubber mallet, then with a hammer (thru a piece of wood) and it would not come off. I finally gave up for fear of bending the thing. And yes, I had all the screws off. It think it was painted and/or rusted together. So I change the impeller with the pump in place. Now that I've done it a few times, it's easy.

dereklschmidt
06-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Any idea what size the 3 socket head screws are? Thanks.

OBV6
06-10-2010, 01:37 PM
As I recall I used a 7mm on my 06 OBV. The torque from the engine actually broke the bolt head off the bolt that holds the water pump to the lower bracket. Thank god it was is a brass housing with a steel bolt. I used an easy out by hand to pull the broken bolt half out. Due to the size of the access cover bolts its doubtful you will be able to use an easy out. My only suggetion to remove the bolt would be to use an undersized drill bit to counter sink a hole like you would with an easy out and then use a very small flat tip screw driver to try to reverse it out by hand, a larger drill bit in reverse might also work. Bottom line is that I used anti-seize on all the bolts when I reassembled everything.